When Vista rolls out what are you going to do?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Mrkvonic, Apr 27, 2006.

?

What will you do when Vista comes out?

1. Move to Vista immediately

10 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. Wait a few months then move to Vista

19 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Switch to Linux (or Mac)

9 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Stay with my current OS for at least 1-2 years

71 vote(s)
    65.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Vista will bring about many changes - DRM, ultra-uber-annoying security popups, backdoor shmeckdoor and so forth. What do you think you will do? Do you like the trend it's showing so far?
    Mrk

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I personally have no problems with XP. I sure don't want to rush out and get Vista that I am sure will have a few bugs show up. I will wait at least a year before I decide to make the jump.

bigc

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

No, I don't like the trend so far. WinXPpro is bugging me already, each time I reboot, because I don't have an AV installed.
    If M$ likes to complain about it, why don't they provide an AV in winXP. If there is no AV, don't complain and let the user do it.
    I installed an AV to get rid of their warnings.

M$ doesn't see the wood through the trees anymore and provides winVISTA with unnecessary gadgets, while so many other more important issues need attention. :mad:

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think you can just turn off the security center.

5. se7engreen

se7engreen Registered Member

I'll move to Vista on at least one PC right away. I will learn it and become proficient with it before making a hasty judgment.

Whether I'll like it enough to recommend it to everyone I know could be a different story.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i think i might wait a few weeks or a month before considering Vista, i may even wait for the first service pack if im so inclined.

one of my computers cant use it anyways due to a lack of a dvd drive.

7. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Yup ya can...all three check marks. :)

8. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Stick with Windows XP, and continue to dabble in linux and bsd, hopefully learning them so I can make the complete switchover and force others in my household to(not only me using this comp unfortunately).

Alphalutra1

9. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Like bigc i'll also wait at least a year before considering a change.

snowbound

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Same here. Until that many bugs might have been fixed with godd software support from 3rd parties.

11. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

None of the above - I don't even particularly like the XP on my other two systems. I haven't heard or seen a single thing about Vista I even remotely like, and I'm very happy using win2k on my personal machine. I'll admit I was using 98 far after most had moved to XP but... I really love 2k. I'm still in control of my own computer with it. I had to use SafeXP just to get the XP machines tolerable.

12. dog

dog Guest

I'll continue on with Linux ... I've already completely migrated to it, I don't see myself turning back. The only way I'll end up with Vista at all, is if I buy a "pre-made" machine for which the price is truly irrisible.

13. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

That's how I ended up with the 2 XP machines.. sister being an IBM accountant means family pricing...

14. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Stay with XP, but eventually migrate to Linux. If Vista is the way MS are going, I'm not following.

15. Upasaka

Upasaka Guest

Sounds like a good plan:D

Which is easier,Linux or BSD?

16. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I will propably switch to linux, due to the reasons you mention. I wont spend hundreds of dollars to be crippled. I guess the only ones who will enjoy Vista will be the guys with a pirated copy ;)
    I´ve been thinking about the switch for a long time but the learning curve has made hesitate. But now that I have VMware so I can run Linux (Ubuntu) at the same time, I am slowly moving there. And it is slowly coz one have do alot of re-thinking, the file system and installing programs and stuff are a real pain now in the beginning :)
    But the information on the net on how to solve problems and howto´s are amazing :)

17. dog

dog Guest

... and friend pricing :)

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Yes, it does work that way :cool:

19. dog

dog Guest

The net is a wonderful thing :) ... to be hundreds/thousands on miles away ... and being the best of friends - is truly priceless my friend. ;) :-*

Talk to you tonight on TS. ;)

20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Thanks Peter, I'm not familiar with winXPproSP2 yet and I'm still exploring it. :)

If M$ wants to warn people for not having an AV, than ONE time is enough.
    People don't like to be lectured all the time and certainly not by a software.

21. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Walk to my local computer software store, donate my kidneys, switch right away to Vista, ***** and whine for a little bit, format my computer, and learn Linux commandline.

22. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

WinXP is pretty stable on my computer right now, so I'll stick with it as long as it is supported by "Uncle Bill".;)

23. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

PCBSD is the easiest, then linux, particularly OpenSuse, ubuntu, xandros, and knoppix. The other bsd are much harder to set up since they aren't really orientated towards desktop use.

Alphalutra1

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I will stick with Win2k for as long as my computer is still alive and working.. eventually I imagine I'll have to get a new one and move on to a newer OS.. hopefully not for a few years though..

25. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the PCBSD vmware image and i was up and running in a couple of minutes.
    It looks really nice, I love the Konqueror, it is fast loading pages..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.