When I suggest a Linux LiveCD to fix Windows registry or delete files. Suggestion is ignored or

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by zapjb, Dec 31, 2014.

1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

USA - Back in a real State in time for a real Pres
    When I suggest a Linux LiveCD to delete a Windows file or registry entry. One that can't be deleted inside Windows or comes back after a restart. Either from malware or incomplete uninstall.

OP disappears, ignores my suggestions or it kills the thread & OP will try other's inWindows convoluted fixes instead.

What's up with that? Are Windows users too bull headed? I even include links.

Fix the Windows Registry from a Linux Thumb Drive
    Or
    4 Ways to Edit Registry Key Values Without Booting into Windows
    https://www.raymond.cc/blog/how-to-edit-windows-registry-key-values-without-booting-in-windows/

2. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Because
    They'd want instead an automated program to search through the registry and fix it. I can't really blame them, it can be some tedious stuff.

Those links are great though. :thumb:

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The real question is why M$ and it users do not seem to understand that from a security point of view, the Registry in Windows systems is the all time worst design decision ever made at any time in any Operating System. I rest my case!

-- Tom

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Don't sweat. You can only help people that much. Teach a man how to fish etc. You can't teach him to become a master chef. Or something.
    Mrk

5. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Taking the OP seriously (perhaps too much so):
    - Linux is something new and "difficult," and people are averse to perceived risks.
    - The Windows registry is daunting to mess around with, and not every Windows user knows their way around it.
    - Too many Linux users/advocates come off as smug, so Windows users automatically ignore the sensible ones too.

Edit: @lotuseclat79

I'm curious, how is the registry a bad idea from a security standpoint? AFAIK the hive files are only accessible to the SYSTEM user, and the kernel arbitrates users' registry access through API calls, with a whole slew of access control features (including mandatory ones, though nobody uses those).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  6. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Gullible,

It boils down to letting the user modify the Registry without any understanding of what the changes mean in terms of security for Windows systems - NOT having been designed for security from the start of its design all the way to its finish via a verified secure design phase.

-- Tom