When I put a CD in, a window opens but doesn't run setup

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Mar 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

This is on Windows XP SP3. Updates and patches are current.

When I put a software CD in the drive it opens a window so I can explore, but it doesn't automatically run setup when it should. I know the drive's good cause I took it out and put it in another computer and it worked okay, so it must be something in my settings.

My AutoPlay settings are all set to "Prompt each time" and my CD drive is enabled in TweakUI AutoPlay settings.

From what I've been able to find on the web, this registry setting is supposed to enable AutoRun and that's what mine's set to.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

NoDriveTypeAutoRun REG_DWORD 0x00000091 (145)

I uninstalled and reinstalled the device driver and checked for an update but didn't find one.

I did change some AutoPlay settings in my registry awhile back but changed them back, and from what I've read AutoPlay doesn't really have anything to do with AutoRun anyway. I could've accidentally changed something and forgot to change it back, but I don't think so.

The software I'm trying to get to autorun I've never installed on this computer and it does work on two others so I knows it's somewhere in my settings.

I ran the Microsoft AutoPlay Repair Tool and it said it found a problem but couldn't fix it:

"Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem."

"Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None"

I know the device is okay. Anyone know of any tips or tricks to get this working?

2. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Well, mystery finally solved. Somehow the registy had acquired a key that was basically telling the system that autorun.inf files don't exist. I know I didn't create it. I must have gotten it from a MS patch or some other software I installed, possibly Avast, who knows.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Autorun.inf\

REG_SZ @SYS: DoesNotExist

I just deleted that key and now it works, hallelujah!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.