When building a fresh install OS, put netframework 1,2 and 3 first then xpsp3 or?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by enki, Jul 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. enki

enki Registered Member

I'm rebuilding my system to put XP SP3 on since I had the old sp2 on there and I want to get the order right when putting on net framework 1-3. I will zero the system and put a fresh install on and I'm wondering at what point do I put net framework 1,2 and 3 on there - before or after putting XP SP3?

Does XP SP3 include net framework 1-3? I notice XP SP3 puts W.I.C. (windows imaging component) on there and so does net framework 3. Will there be a conflict with both installing WIC?

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Personally i would fully update windows first after a fresh install. You don't need to install all 3 versions of dotnet framework either, just v3.5 should be sufficient.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

A fresh install of XP doesn't include ANY of the .NET version. Also, you can install any or all of them in any order, it doesn't matter. They are independent, and which one you may need depends on the software you're running that needs it. I usually don't install any of them unless I absolutely need it. So far, I have never needed .NET at all.

4. Cosmo 203

Cosmo 203 Registered Member

Kerodo, fully ACK.

I have not found a program, that needs the runtimes, which I could not replace by another one, which is not dependent from them. Especially after the disaster on the July-patchday 2007 for .NET I avoid it as long as I can.

enki, be also noted, that the different versions may be down-compatible, but that does not mean, that they must be down-compatible; this is especially true for version 1. So it is a matter of trying, if a program does work with another already installed version. In any case it does not make sense (in case of .NET) to install any version other than that, which is actually needed, only the chances for complications arise.

Having this said it makes clear, that .NET has nothing to do with the SP3; the latter one is obligate, the first is not. Instead of patching a new installed XP with the service pack I would create a slipstreamed XP SP3 CD and install from this CD. The advantage is, that in case you have to do a repair you have a CD with the actual system; otherwise your CD would be older than the system and this can produce problems in case of doing a repair later on.

In case you should patch with SP 3 (instead of slip-streaming) you should do this as the first task after installing the drivers. Especially it is important to do the patch before installing IE7, because you would otherwise not be able to uninstall IE7 (in case this is needed).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.