When a Virus is Not A Virus

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by WebmistressM, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WebmistressM

WebmistressM Registered Member

Anyone had SmartSecurity detect a program as a virus incorrectly? I know that people would not question when a virus program says that something is a virus but, I have been using this program for years (Rainlendar2) and it has never been malicious nor detected by any other anti virus program I have had in the past.

Anyhow, how do I get Smart Security to forget about Rainlendar2 alltogether. I clicked "Leave" but it will just show up again the next time I run a scan. I thought that maybe if I just submit it to analysis, that it will do the trick however there is no submit button, just a submit for analysis checkbox

Relatively new to this program,
    WebmistressM

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

What does ESET Smart Security detect ? Post the name of the threat as well as the full path , please.

3. WebmistressM

7/23/2008 8:49:24 AM Startup scanner file C:\Program Files\Rainlendar\Rainlendar2.exe probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus unable to clean MARYESTOREWARE\mary

This is copied from my log file.

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Also submit it in an archive protected with a simple password to samples[at]eset.com with "False positive" in the subject. We'd appreciate if you could enclose as much information about the file as possible (the program name, the website you downloaded it from, etc.)

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I have installed Railendar 2, NOD32 didn't detect a single file as a threat. Please make sure that you're using the latest signature version 3292.

6. WebmistressM

Marcos>

I did try and use the submit for analysis but it looks like Eset only does that if you choose "delete" rather than "leave" from the options.

Any way to submit it anyway? This is kind of what I thought to do so that maybe they could look into it as a change during the next definitions update. :)

7. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

Can you tell us which version ESET Smart Security you have installed on your computer and the version of its virus signature database?

Also, which version of Rainlendar2 do you have installed, and what is the name of the malware that was detected in it by ESET Smart Security?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

8. WebmistressM

Virus signature database: 2740 (20071221)
    Update module: 1019 (20071030)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1101 (20071217)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1068 (20071119)
    Archive support module: 1066 (20071212)
    Cleaner module: 1024 (20071217)
    Personal firewall module: 1032 (20071216)
    Antispam module: 1005 (20071212)

I have it on auto update but double checked this morning and it says it is up to date.

The closest thing that ESET gives back to me about Rainlendar 2 (2.3 to be exact) is "unknown NewHeur_PE virus".

Thanks so much. I haven't run a scan yet this morning so I am not sure if the newest definition will not have fixed this.

WebmistressM

9. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I believe ESET Smart Security may be reporting a false positive alarm which occurred in an older release of the virus signature database.

The virus signature database listed in your reply is from last year, and ESET provides updates, on average, a couple of times a day, so I am guessing your copy of the software is not properly downloading updates.

It could be that there is a problem with your settings or the permissions on the folders, files or registry entries for your copy of the software which is presenting the software from downloading updates.

I would suggest that you download a new copy of ESET Smart Security from ESET's web site at http://www.eset.com/download/, uninstall the currently installed version, and re-install the software using the file you just downloaded. That should place the software back on your computer with the correct files, registry entries and permissions so that it can download updates and work on your system.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.