What's Your Security Score?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by The Shadow, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

OPSWAT Security Score is a free tool that scans your computer with the sole purpose of evaluating your installed security applications.

The OPSWAT Security Score tool is powered by OPSWAT's OESIS Framework, a development toolkit that can be integrated to solutions to enable detection and management of antivirus, antiphishing, backup, patch management, firewall, public file sharing, hard disk encryption and many other types of third party applications. Security Score uses OESIS to scan your computer for the presence of these types of applications and to get information about their current status. This information is then used to generate your security score.

-http://www.opswat.com/products/security-score-

Why not test your security setup? Then report back here with your security setup and OPSWAT score. Should be interesting! :cool:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. The Shadow

The Shadow Registered Member

As my sig indicates I'm presently using NIS 2014 and Shadow Defender. My OPSWAT score for this setup is 92.

However, before switching to NIS (just yesterday) I was using the Baidu AV and Windows Firewall together with Shadow Defender. My OPSWAT score for that setup was 55 (convincing me to re-consider my setup)! :eek:

TS

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

4. I have a zero score, should I worry?

Attached Files:

5. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

If I would be you, I would not sleep at night.:D :p

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No sir, :) I have a 64 and do you think I am. Stupid software.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I ran the test:p sandboxed: scored 35:cool: in my W7.

Bo

8. Wendi

Wendi Registered Member

I scored 82 with my setup (in my sig) - I consider the test pretty informative.

Why is it stupid software, because you only scored 64? Would it have been great software if you would have scored 94? :D

9. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

First I was asked by Sandboxie if I wanted to recover the download.
    I said yes, then scanned it with HMP, MBAM and VIPRE.
    I right-clicked the installer and chose Run Sandboxed.
    The program ran inside Sandboxie.
    Immediately SBIE prompted me for admin rights, which I granted, and OPSWAT was still inside sandbox.
    Comodo HIPS then asked if I wanted to run it.
    Granted, one time.
    I scored 80 points.
    -10 for no HD encryption detected (gonna fix that soon).
    -5 points for Patch Management (I do not allow auto updating).
    When done I closed the sandbox and away went OPSWAT.
    Thanks for posting the program!

sbie admin permission.jpg
    comodo hips prompt.jpg
    opswat score.jpg

10. itman

itman Registered Member

Well, WIN 7 firewall aces this test. So does Emsisoft AM for AV and Anti-Phishing.

11. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

I have the ultimate security....It won't even finish. Must be blocking it somewhere.

12. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Your age? :D

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

No dummie, IQ.:cool:

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

stupid was a bad choice of words. For the average user it does serve a purpose, but as Windows Secuirty as shown, the score really doesnt tell the whole tale.

15. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Mine scored 90...but my age is about the same as your score!:doubt:
    Seems to like WSA users.....we need this kind of entertainment while awaiting the next AV Test or AV Comparatives results.
    P.S. I had a 98 but it took 8 points off for FOT...friend of trjam!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  16. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Zero score like Kees too. But hey, at least I got to download the file so maybe my score is a tad higher than zero? :D

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I find these tests at best less then useful. To me this tells a story:

Test is aimed at sell their stuff.

Not surprisingly I scored a 60 which I considered excellent. I lost the points on lack of encryptment, which I would never use on my hard drive. I lost the rest of the points on no AV. Yawn.

18. OuterLimits

OuterLimits Registered Member

I allowed it to run under LUA, WinPatrolPlus denied the registry change to auto start with Windows then I ran it.

Minus 20 for not using system restore but all my important files are backed up automatically to the cloud. Minus 10 points for not encrypting my hard drive and it took 5 off for using Avast (just file shield).

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I actually have the score to beat? Funny it gave me 30 points for MBAM free, while Avast and WSA gets 20 for not giving full system scans (unnecessary + already made boot scans) and detecting some threats I was testing.

MSIServer actually failed to start according to SBIE, but it didn't seem to affect OPSWAT. I found this test very limited in scope (detected ~10% of my setup) and it's results caters towards average users. Overall, not something that I'd keep or affect my decisions.

20. aztony

aztony Registered Member

Scored a 90 with Win7 rig as configured in my sig. Lost points for lack of encryption of hard drive. Felt good about it until I installed and ran the test on XP rig. Scored a 85 with it. Lost points for having no firewall enabled, which was a stunner. When I reviewed the test result 'hoover over i' the program shows Panda firewall disabled, which it is in the free offering, and it shows XP firewall disabled, which it is. But totally ignored the presence of OA which is running. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Points also lost here for lack of encryption of the hard drive.

Edit: Saw a few comments that this test at a glance seems to be trying to steer users towards OPSWAT certified products. Maybe there is something to that. In looking over their list of certified products Online Armor was not listed. And the test was oblivious to its presence.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  21. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I got 70.

I got 0 points for having no firewall enabled, and using file sharing software.

I lost points because I've never run a full scan with my antivirus software (I have done a quick scan though at least once), and due to it having detected a number of threats in the past.

Also I lost points for not having done a recent backup and for having antiphishing disabled.

22. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Also, on the first scan I got full points for firewall, as it thought I was using Roboscan for my firewall. I am not but there were some traces in the registry from when I launched Roboscan exe file from Program Files and it added itself to the context menu.

A quick deletion of Roboscan registry keys via RegEdit, fixed this. It's quite funny that it detected Roboscan when it isn't detect by their AppRemover software.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Based on the responses here, i dont think ill get a high score. :D
    No encryption, no image backups, no auto updates for Windows . . .

24. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

this seemed interesting at first. but reading what results the program produces, it's pretty much useless for the savvy user. maybe this could be of some value for the average user which doesn't give a dime for protection.

25. makios

makios Registered Member

Score with utorrent installed 88 (public file sharing). Score with utorrent portable on second partition 90. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.