What's your opinions of AVG7

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TheSeeker, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The free Avg and Antivir are that much in use and at least that percentage of computers that were infected were useing them when they came into the shop. That is spread over a twelve year time span. That is not to say that some computers that came in infected were not running a variety of pay antivirus programs. Just not as great a number. I am not trying to say that the free av's are no good, on the contrary. What I have been saying is that the free ones are not on par with most pay av's. But they are still very decent protection, if that is the only choice I had I would with out doubt be useing on. But that is the key word (choice) which means we all have the right to choose the protection that we feel is adequate for for the way we utilize our computer. I am happy with my security set up as I am sure you are satisified with yours. But without discussions like these we would never learn anything.

bigc

2. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Most of them (free avs) will provide a decent AV protection against ITW viruses. The only free AV that I can highly recommend and separate from mentioned 2 is avast! antivirus.

I use paid version on my laptop and its been very good. Detection rate is good (beats many commercial Antivirus) and avast! support is second to none.

To OP: I don’t want hijack this tread but if your funds are limited or you want a second opinion AV (without paying it) I highly suggest you to try avast! ;) antivirus.

tECHNODROME

3. bigc73542

In my opinion, Avast is pretty decent av free or paid.

4. firefoxguy

firefoxguy Guest

I'm just curious how many percent of the computers that you are seeing that are running other pay avs are infected? As compared to the free ones?

You can't just go by absolute amounts because I bet the free AVs are more popular than everything (on home computers anyway) else except Norton.

Also do you have the chance to see other computers that are not infected? Otherwise your statistics would be skewed.

BTW I do think some payware AVs are better, I'm just curious about your figures.

5. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Firstly, AVG paid is not the totally same package. Pro has many more options, including a Detailed Complete Scan(which is what I always used), Tech Help that is Ultra fast, an advanced interface and priority updates. I paid for it. As of the last few months with heavier browsing and aquiring a job that requires clean emails, I had to give up on AVG Pro. It was not living up to the task that I wanted. Do you think that a cheap person like me likes having a subscription lying around with 10 months still on it.

For many light users AVG free is great. And to a a logical point, AVG is free to help spread their name around. I believe it is called building on the future. It is far cheaper to buy bandwidth on a developed product to advertise than it is to purchase ads in print, radio or TV. Personally I never would have tried AVG from an ad. I tried it because it was free, then I bought it. Then I later re-assessed my needs, and Grisoft did not meet them.

6. bigc73542

My figures only reflect what came into my shop, probably about thirty computers a month, the approxamate percentage of the computers that came through the door infected varied month to month but it was around one in five infected and about 60/65% of those were running free av's. It ran pretty consistant number wise all of the time. All of the rest of the comps that came in were for upgrades or hardware repairs or software installation.

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, NO AV can save PC from user stupidity...

8. bigc73542

Amen to that ;)

9. jmorlan

jmorlan Registered Member

I'm not in the business, but I just worked on two computers for relatives. One was running McAfee, the other Norton. The definitions on the first one had not been updated in almost a year; the second one had not been updated in a month. In both cases it was because the subscription service had run out and had not been renewed for whatever reason (laziness, death in the family, whatever...). The first computer was riddled with viruses and spyware. The second was relatively clean.

These are just two data points, but I can't help but think that they are the tip of the iceberg of systems with out-of-date virus definitions.

One advantage to AVG FREE is that the definitions are automatically updated without any user intervention and the subscriptions never run out. I put AVG free on both of those machines for just that reason. I'd much rather have up-to-date definitions from a free anti-virus than out-of-date definitions from a pay anti-virus.

10. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I forgotten to say that this version use much much more RAM that the previous, and now some users can't use it on the old computers... :(

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Yes I noticed that. Why do they (AVG) do that pretty silly if you ask me? :p

Excellent point Jmorlan. ;)

Mikel108,
    Maybe I was a little hasty but here is one of the reasons I got rid of CA EZ AV:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=61414&highlight=AV
    post number 9.

And here to even though this was not the main reason:
    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?vet.xml

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  12. TAP

TAP Registered Member

AVG 7 Pro and AVG Free Edition 7 are a good AV I'd used AVG FE 7 since its beta version on my laptop and it'd never let me down it caught every worms came via e-mail and most of malware (downloader-like) via IE. But AVG FE 7 lacks of one of the most important aspect of today's AV that's complete auto-update and it is limited to (probably one) slow update server that gets overloaded sometimes. But I believe that if users set/use free AVs properly along with safe hex so it should be fine. If users always click/download/run everything on screen so it seems to me that there're no AVs can protect them from that stupidity.

But there's the only free AV that I can highly recommend that is avast! Home Edition, sometimes I can't believe it free!!! its aspect-related detection rate is good as or even than some commercial AVs and avast! support is very very good via nice support forum and wondered-helpful-nice people there.

I've recommended avast! HE to so many people since version 4.1 and install it on my family/friends' computer with very good results/feedback.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2005
  13. mikel108

I agree TAP that some people will click on anything. But when you have 4 people, two who are children using a PC you cannot be without a good scanner, I am not running a POW camp and I refuse to watch everything my children do. Also, some of the worst offenders for viruses I have found are childrens sites. They find a link to a Barbie site, they go there, they see a little Barbie video to watch and boom, you have a virus. I bought a PC to use it. If I have to soft step around about where I am surfing, and whos doing what I might as well unplug the thing tell my boss I can't work anymore and use the stupid thing as a coffee table ;) . I personally switched to F-Secure after a format a couple of months ago. I love it. Iron wall. On a web only comp we have I have been using Avast for about a month and that AV seems to be a great little prog for free. I (again personally) would pick Avast over AVG 7 any day.

14. mercurie

"....the worst offenders for viruses I have found are childrens sites." My Command AV seems to prove this out.

Yes, this has been my experience as well. Some sick creatures out there. :mad:

15. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Care to elaborate?

I have found AVG to be decent for a low risk user, but in my mind, computer security is definitely worth the money. A good AV like F-Prot or BitDefender 8 Standard are actually quite affordable. Especially BitDefender, I was quite surprised at the fantastic value offered for such a dependable AV. Their live web-chat tech support service is great too.

16. vincevega

vincevega Registered Member

Avast FAILED the latest Windows XP test in Virus Bulletin. AVG did not. :)

17. Jeccu

Jeccu Registered Member

Oh no. Here we go again... :mad:

18. vincevega

vincevega Registered Member

Just pointing it out. :)

19. mercurie

My Command AV is on my the family PC that the children use and it has captured and cleaned two nasties. One was a Backdoor something or other.

I use AVG 7 on my own personal PC and like it. It is backed up by Free BitDefender. I too am impressed with it. I'm not sure what elaboration you want. I really very much agree with what you are saying after "care to elaborate". o_O

20. giggy

giggy Registered Member

In my two years of running AVG I have NEVER had a problem using it! I have been a big supporter in the AVG Free edition and really like it. I also recommend it to my client if they do not want the hassle of buying and updating there subscriptions to name brand AVs. Now I don't just run AVG by itself. I do use the (Spybot-Search and Destroy) and (Ad Aware) programs. I also recommend them to clients when running AVG as there primary AV.
    But I do trust the AVG7 software and would absolutely recommend it to anyone who wants a free AV. When I worked as a computer technician you would not believe the Virus problems people would have. Many of them where running name brand AVs. I also believe that 90% of the time it wasn’t the AV software but the user!!!!

21. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I couldn't agree more.

22. mikel108

I am very happy about your success with AVG 7.

I would choose Avast because in real life trials I have found that Trend, Bitdefender, and Panda online scans would almost always find something that AVG 7 missed. Avast has yet to miss something in the time I have tried it.
    Avast also has true automatic updating, virus recovery data base, it used only about 24MB were AVG 7 Pro took 29MB. I also though that the skins and talking were cool.

23. mikel108

I would also like to ask one thing. If you people like AVG 7 so much......why don't you BUY IT. I did!

My subscription is still valid. I supported Grisoft. I just wish that their detection rates would come up a bit.

Thats right, for a mere $16.65USD a year you to can support the company you talk so highly about!

24. mercurie

Thanks for the info. in your earlier post. To answer your question I just need some protection until I decide what I really want to pay for. Thats really all there is to it other then the fuctionality seems to be so simple and easy to use. Detections and clean sure, I'm just not all that sure about. But that is why I appreciate your opinion real life opinion means alot to me. ;)

25. TAP

TAP Registered Member

Well, the fact is that avast! could miss some stuff too, this just not only happen to avast! but this situation could happen to all antivirus software even the well known highest overall detection rates Kaspersky. No antivirus software can detect all malware in the world all the time.

Except ITW stuff, each and every antivirus companies have their own policy to what it should or should not inclueded in its malware database, some companies consider some adware/spyware as trojan-like while some companies not.

But in this case, avast! HE is a pretty damn good free antivirus I've ever seen. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.