What's your opinion on this A2 findings?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by sweater, Dec 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Startup Mechanic was also some kind of spyware program detector, when installing their newer version 2.5 it also bundles a program Foxie Suite, so I also installed it. But after A2 Squared scans it identifies them as Trojan. :p

What should I do? o_O Is it really possible that the trusted anti-trojan scanner can make a mistakes? :rolleyes: o_O

2. sweater

I forgot to attach this snap shot from my above question. :oops:

Here's the findings it found by A2 after the scans...

Attached Files:

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You better contact them, most likely a FP. :)

4. A Lurker

A Lurker Guest

Hi Guys, I noticed download.com has removed foxie from its listings, most likely because it contains malware? This may not be a false positive. Is foxie force installed from Startup Mechanic?

5. sweater

What made me think twice and hesitates was that only A2 squared detects them as Trojans, while my Ewido scanner (and other scanners) didn't recognize them as Trojans. So I can't really decide if I can really trust this findings. :(

Last edited: Dec 23, 2005
  6. POS

POS Guest

While download.com has removed foxie from its listings, I would trust a².

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

A-squared evaluates a file based on how that file ACTS as well as based on signatures. If a file ACTS like a nasty, A-squared will flag it.

I often get an alert flag from A-squared when installing an anti-malware program. For example, both A-squared and DrWeb flagged BitDefender's updater as I was installing a trial copy. I THINK this was because BD's updater wants to install a little *server* in my computer -- that's also a typical action of a trojan.

I do NOT want A-squared or DrWeb to stop letting me know when they spot such malware-like actions. I would rather have the minor inconvenience of having to exclude friendly programs from such scans INSTEAD OF having a possible nasty get in because my protection is trying to avoid a False Positive at all costs.

When it comes to security programs I prefer a Rottweiler to a kitty cat. A-squared is a Rottweiler. Grrrrrr. "Sic 'em, boy!"

8. AshG

AshG Registered Member

This is starting to make more sense... I also see CCleaner being tagged as Trojan-Dropper on my machine, now I'm assuming it's due to the run-time update notifier being detected. Sounds like I should be emailing CCleaner about this, not A2. Or I could email them both and see where it goes...

9. RuntimeWare

RuntimeWare Registered Member

This A-Squared app sounds very interesting - for those of us too lazy to google it, could someone provide a link?

10. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

11. sweater

Startup Mechanic 2.5 and Foxie Suite are both anti-spyware programs and also free. I was then now thinking that there's really some kind of cold war between and among anti-spywares programs..:rolleyes: .. and maybe, some of them will try knocking out one another..:D

12. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

We just had a look at the uninst.exe of the foxie installation we have in our whitelist and this file is definitely clean - looks like a false positive of a² on the NSIS installer... And CCleaner should also not get detected, at least not by the filescanner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.