Whats your experience with BitDefender 2015?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nightwalker, Mar 19, 2015.

1. DebLand

DebLand Registered Member

I got rid of Bitdefender Total Security 2015 because it intrudes into Windows far too much.

The worst, and final straw was when I needed to perform a system restore. System restore failed with a message about turning off virus software. So I went onto Bitdefender chat to figure out how to disable it. Here is an excerpt from that chat session."ME: Are you saying that an installed but disabled Bitdefender interferes with Windows restoring from a restore point? [CHAT PERSON] : Yes, and in order for you to perform the system restore, you must remove the Bitdefender first. After that, you will be able to re-install."

As far as I can tell, you need to reinstall Bitdefender because even an uninstalled Bitdefender interferes with Windows restore, so the restored system does not have a working copy of Bitdefender. But it does have some remnants of Bitdefender and the installation program told me "This application cannot be run on your machine."

This was the second major problem. I installed BD in late July and noticed a few weeks into August that Windows update had stopped altogether. It took quite a bit of searching online to figure out the problem was Bitdefender, and was able to fix it with help from people on the Bitdefender forum.

By the time I got this far, my subscription was more than 30 days old, so no refund is possible.

Fortunately, I had a relatively recent full disk copy of my c: drive and was able to recover almost everything - and go back to Norton for the last weeks of my subscription with them. a few weeks my Norton I'm looking around for a better product, which is why I'm on this forum.

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Well I don't see it that way. It's not like it stops once it's installed.
    What I am saying is that if you use it, you need a second security suite on hand. The price for BD Total Security is is very high, so add in a second solution as a stand-by makes it VERY high.
    I only bought it cause my subscription to another suite was about to expire and was conned by it's splashy website that referred to "The Brain." The ad with carefully drawn words to avoid a case of misleading advertising, did make it sound like something unique and new.
    You won't see reference to "the Brain" for any other BD product. I guess that's what it takes to sell a $99 product. Make it sound extra special, which it isn't
    Turns out that "The Brain" was nothing new. They just renamed their existing cloud system.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  3. Diazruanova

Diazruanova Registered Member

Nonsense!

BD is one of the best three AVs of the pack! ...alternating the first and second places with Kaspersky, in the very best and reputable independent tests (you all know which ones). The only thing that used to be kind of heavy for some old computers with low RAM and very old CPU, was the amount of ram consumption of "vsserv,exe" and this was fixed recently. Of course, if you have your computer full with start-up items and executables running in the background, there is no AV that can withstand any particular test on Performance, but running a lean system, with a decent amount of ram (8GB) and a "modern" CPU, (4 year old is fine?) your computer should not be slow with BD .

It starts quickly and do not slow down AT ALL any of my work with composing music or editing photos and my rig is kind of old with some components being as old as 4-5 years like the Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Model H55M-USB3 and my CPU Intel i7 860.
    The only thing kind of fast is my drive which is a SSD (Plextor).

BitDefender never slowed down my PC when using Windows 7 and certainly it is not slowing down it now that I run Windows 10.

Oh, BTW I forgot to mention that I use the paid Antivirus Plus 2015 and the Firewall in use, is the one that windows provide, perfectly fine for me :)

4. JLD

JLD Guest

My experience has been mostly very good. Not much hits our PCs due to the firewall, but Bitdefender found and blocked one malware that only it and Invincea have found to date. One problem I had was the latest Invincea FreeSpace update, which Bitdefender blocked, resulting in the need to reinstall FreeSpace. Other than that, very good.

5. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Bitdefender isnt heavy in pure system impact (startup, copy/open files), the problem is the slowdown in browsing speed. It seems to be caused by the firewall/search advisor.

I hope version 2016 will fix these things (didnt tried the beta).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.