What's your disk Defragmenter?

Discussion in 'polls' started by sweater, Feb 23, 2007.

?

What is your disk Defragmenter

1. 1.AusLogic Disk Defrag

34 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. 2.Windows built-in defragmenter

74 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. 3.Diskeeper Lite

9 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. 4.Diskeeper Home/Pro

58 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. 5.DirMs

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  6. 6.DirMs and Buzzsaw

4 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. 7.PerfectDisk

117 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. 8.Power Defragmenter GUI with contig.exe

18 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. 9.O&O Defrag Pro

39 vote(s)
    9.9%
  10. 10.PC Mesh Defrag for Windows

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 11.DiskTrix UltimateDefrag

27 vote(s)
    6.9%
  12. 12.JKDefrag

35 vote(s)
    8.9%
  13. 13.Abexo Disk Defragmenter Lite/Pro/Plus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 14.Norton Disk Defragmenter

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  15. 15.Mst Defrag

9 vote(s)
    2.3%
  16. 16.Fast Defrag Professional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 17.Ashampoo Magical Defrag

4 vote(s)
    1.0%
  18. 18.MindSoft Defrag

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  19. 19.SpeeDefrag

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  20. 20.Power Defrag

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  21. 20.others?.specify

25 vote(s)
    6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thezman

thezman Registered Member

^^ wow curious myself ill def have to check that out.. not cool if they just sit there using mem not doing anything

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

lodore, I checked the processes running when PD is off, and I only found 2 referances to PD listed. They both were at 00. I won't be doing another defrag for about a week or two, so I can't check the running status now. When PD is defragging in SMARTdefrag there are more processes going on than when DK is defragging, so maybe that's where you get the 5 processes from. What were your findings while it was running? Did you see anything running when it wasn't defragging? If so do you remember what the figures were?

3. Jokimoto

Jokimoto Registered Member

I use DK Pro, 11 I think. No complaints other than that it tried 2 phone home relentlessly, even after checking off all the "don't auto-update", "don't collect AUD" boxes, etc. I finally just made a rule w/the firewall prohibiting any traffic to/from DK.
    I don't use the background defrag. It's strictly on-demand, manual style for me.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

jokimoto, I think the whole purpose of using DK is because it defrags in the background little by little so that your HD is always fairly defragmented. If you're going to disable that function, what is the reason you use DK rather than another brand that requires a manual defrag, or a scheduled defrag? o_O

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Escalader, As an update on my Perfect Disk testing, I can only report this so far: For a short time after my initial defrag, some of my app functions were a little unstable. On a reopening of an app that was a little shaky it would be OK. I think that when PD lined everything up on my HD, it had a lot to do on the first defrag. I checked the HD today and it's still defragged as advertised, so I probably won't have to do another defrag for a few weeks. I'll bet the next defrag will go a lot smoother because there will be less to do. :cool:

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Thanks, very interesting! What type of applications were shaky or can you even tell?

If I was to trial Perfect at this point I think I would image everything as is in it's working state. Then download Perfect, disable everything running including of course DK, unhook from internet and let Perfect run. What sort of timing did you experience?

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

its not phoning home.
    in the install it tells you that if your firewall asks you to allow internet access dkservice its safe to allow.
    if you had it installed on a network you would need to allow diskeeper access past the firewall to allow an admin to control diskeeper on everyworkstation in the company.
    people have used packet sniffers because they thought diskeeper was phoning home but they found it it wasnt.

the idea of diskeeper is that it defrags when it needs to and doesnt get in your way epecically the 2007 version
    lodore

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I noticed my Reg Supreme Pro toobar had double tabs until I restarted it. I think Firefox had a few slight burps, but I can't remember any thing else.
    By timing if you mean how long the defrag took, I don't think it was more than 5 minutes or so. I have an 80GB drive.

9. Escalader

That is first rate!

Slower than a full defrag on DK HDD0 of 145GB which I just ran in 60 seconds. However, since I'm starting from a 99% defragged drive so that proves zip!

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Escalader, Latest update with PerfectDisk 8. I was offered 35% off if I was switching from DK, so I bought it for $26. I really like the layout and the SMART defragging. I had to uninstall the trial copy and then install the registered copy. My disk didn't need it yet, but I did a defrag anyway to give it a benchmark to work from, and I wanted to see how the defrag went a second time. This time, being pretty lined up already it went really smooth.

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

PerfectDisc by RAXCO. I never knew untill i tried this one how much any defragger could make my system run "faster". It does the job thats for sure.

12. the_sly_dog

the_sly_dog Registered Member

hello
    i am a raxco user too bought it about 2 months ago using a coupon code 50% off £13 i payed and i love it too bits best defreagger i have used

13. Escalader

Well that's all good. But my 30 days is still on going with DK and I'm sticking to Plan A, test DK then trial PerfectDisk. It seems DK left your disk in good shape so it is a question of ease of use perhaps not performance.

I leave the DK ongoing defrag feature on with no impact at all (so far) since it runs low priority.

Just had a thought, to test these two from the same base, I could run the imbedded old M$ defrag first and compare the drives after. Yes, yes I know M$ uses a DK version, but so what it would put drives into same state before testing! (or would it? FUD)

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Escalader, I navigated to system tools>MS defragger, and found that my installed DK had taken the spot. You're right, they both do a good job. I am under the impression that PD is doing a more thorough job, along with the free space. :)

15. Escalader

Hi twl845:

Right, very interesting that DK took over the MS defragger slot! Who did that M$? If you un-installed DK, I wonder if the "old" one would reappear or if Perfect would now get that slot? It's just academic I suppose!

Cheers

16. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Well the builtin Windows Defragger is made my the same people as Diskeeper; that could be why Diskeeper "replaces" it when installed.

17. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Escalader :
    PD and Disk Defragmenter...

Attached Files:

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Meriadoc, I have both DK and PD installed on my computer (momentarily) and only DK has assumed the defragger spot in system tools.:blink: Although they both appear in the computer management folder because they both exist.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  19. Meriadoc

I'm unsure if it does, well here it doesn't appear in that list - if I was asked at install, I may of configured it that way by mistake.

EDIT: Both PD and MS defrag will work. I think DK has done it several ways over the versions with, co-existing, if you selected the normal defrag icon it went to DK and now replacing. I have a licence for both and defrag from the one machine, but I ususally uninstall DK when I'm not using it for its MST tool. DK also gives you the option of running an error-check on the volume when you do an offline defrag.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  20. Escalader

Hi Meriadoc and twl845!

You guys are great with your information! I'm learning a lot from you both!

"DK also gives you the option of running an error-check on the volume when you do an offline defrag.

This fast vs thorough seems to make an argument for having both!

Meriadoc, why do you uninstall DK as opposed to just disabling it on all drives and exiting the program?

If we add the % poll results of DK vs PD I get 2 + 3+4=38% and 7=35%

So that has to be within the margin of error and we declare a tie! Arguing once more for both! I could probably get discount from each in favour of the other:D

What about letting DK run daily, auto defraging, then weekly or monthly disable it and run PD? is that a crazy idea?

21. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

[Escalader asked:
    What about letting DK run daily, auto defraging, then weekly or monthly disable it and run PD? is that a crazy idea?[/QUOTE]

The 2 defrags defrag differently, PD using SMARTdefrag which lines evrything up according to need etc. and defrags free space into one spot. I think DK does it differently, defragging each fragment as it appears, but doesn't do the above like PD. So IMO if you did as you mentioned, I don't think it would be a positive thing. I don't know for sure but what would be the advantage? If you want to disable one and leave it alone in case someday you decide you want to go back to that one, I could see that. Again as we have said, it all depends which one you like best. I can see you're wresling with yourself as to which one to use, so I would suggest you install the 30 day copy of PD, disable the live defrag in DK for a while and use PD for a few weeks, and then uninstall one and buy the other. :)

22. Escalader

The 2 defrags defrag differently, PD using SMARTdefrag which lines evrything up according to need etc. and defrags free space into one spot. I think DK does it differently, defragging each fragment as it appears, but doesn't do the above like PD. So IMO if you did as you mentioned, I don't think it would be a positive thing. I don't know for sure but what would be the advantage? If you want to disable one and leave it alone in case someday you decide you want to go back to that one, I could see that. Again as we have said, it all depends which one you like best. I can see you're wresling with yourself as to which one to use, so I would suggest you install the 30 day copy of PD, disable the live defrag in DK for a while and use PD for a few weeks, and then uninstall one and buy the other. :)[/QUOTE]

Right, your rationale make perfect sense to me! I will follow your advice and obtain the 30 day PD trial version. Don't worry if it fouls me up it is my fault no one elses:D

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Escalader, It shouldn't foul you up, I've got DK auto defrag disabled and am running PD8. Don't forget PD and DK on manual just sit there side by side until you click on one or the other.

24. Escalader

right, got it! more later, i'm fishing in a different river right now...

25. Meriadoc

Hi,
    simply so not to take up space as I only use DK usually to extend the mst on fresh or formatted disks and I can run an error-check from the dot prompt or drive properties - although mostly I use Spinrite6 for drive maintenance.
    yes, I already did the maths:D 66 to DK corporation to 59 PD so far. PD product leads the pole though.
    It would depend on the algorithm, but running two different defrags, no. You would have it one way with DK and then PD would come along and change this at the end of the month, then DK would change it back.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.