What's your disk Defragmenter?

Discussion in 'polls' started by sweater, Feb 23, 2007.

?

What is your disk Defragmenter

1. 1.AusLogic Disk Defrag

34 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. 2.Windows built-in defragmenter

74 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. 3.Diskeeper Lite

9 vote(s)
    2.3%
  4. 4.Diskeeper Home/Pro

58 vote(s)
    14.7%
  5. 5.DirMs

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  6. 6.DirMs and Buzzsaw

4 vote(s)
    1.0%
  7. 7.PerfectDisk

117 vote(s)
    29.7%
  8. 8.Power Defragmenter GUI with contig.exe

18 vote(s)
    4.6%
  9. 9.O&O Defrag Pro

39 vote(s)
    9.9%
  10. 10.PC Mesh Defrag for Windows

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. 11.DiskTrix UltimateDefrag

27 vote(s)
    6.9%
  12. 12.JKDefrag

35 vote(s)
    8.9%
  13. 13.Abexo Disk Defragmenter Lite/Pro/Plus

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. 14.Norton Disk Defragmenter

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  15. 15.Mst Defrag

9 vote(s)
    2.3%
  16. 16.Fast Defrag Professional

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. 17.Ashampoo Magical Defrag

4 vote(s)
    1.0%
  18. 18.MindSoft Defrag

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  19. 19.SpeeDefrag

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  20. 20.Power Defrag

3 vote(s)
    0.8%
  21. 20.others?.specify

25 vote(s)
    6.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Factor

Factor Registered Member

I have noticed that influence too, as security settings influence (in general, the more restrictions, the slower), but today I see that sw as "not negotiable". I'm using ZoneAlarm Security Suite (ZASS).

Does XP's prefetch work right without security apps, or with other security app or with ZASS managed with less restrictive criteria? Maybe. But I dislike the idea of moving data from disk to disk (is it so really?) in advance or not, call it "cache" or not, to save disk accesses and speed up loading. But maybe this concept still manages to optimize the boot up stuff, that is always the same.

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

The only way to prove that my off-line snapshot works faster is timing several jobs in both snapshots and I can't do that because this is going to take alot of time. Sorry about that, but that's the way it is.
    My off-line snapshot isn't the same as my on-line snapshot and I'm not going to change my entire setup, just for doing these comparision tests.

So, I will give you ONE example with FDISR, because FDISR can be used in all my snapshots, while all my other applications are spread over my two snapshots and that makes a comparision test impossible in my actual setup.

I had two test snapshots of the same size (= 2.93gb), which I didn't need anymore.
    So I deleted one snapshot in my off-line snapshot and the other one in my on-line snapshot.
    1. In my off-line snapshot it took 26 seconds to remove one snapshot.
    2. In my on-line snapshot it took 1 minut and 35 seconds to remove the other snapshot.

My off-line snapshot has
    - NO internet connection
    - NO security softwares, because I don't need them there
    - NO internet softwares, like browsers, email-softwares, because I can't use them.
    My off-line snapshot works like a computer without internet, like in the old days.

My on-line snapshot is a frozen snapshot, that removes any change after reboot.
    It has Look'n'Stop as firewall, supported by a router and Prevx1 Pro.
    My on-line snapshot isn't finished yet, but I need more time and I don't have that time.
    That's why I surf carefully until I found a way to surf "dangerously".
    My frozen snapshot keeps my computer clean, because it removes ALL changes, including the bad ones.

Lately, I more interested in manupulating movies on DVD (that's fun), than securing my computer, which is NOT fun.
    But one day, I will continue with security and improve both snapshots.
    I still have lots of plans, unfortunately NO TIME to do it and my wife (= computer widow) is complaining all the time. :rolleyes:

3. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Thanks for the answer Erik. Seems that security software are eating I/O and CPU resources.
    I´ve read that, in certain circumstances, Prevx can slowdown your computer quite a bit. I want to put it in a box dedicated to audio ripping (together with Process Guard free and Ghostwall) which I´ll build soon, but I´m going to wait for speed improvements. Prevx´s concept is quite appealing.
    Agreed :thumb: But, once that your security setup is done, you can forget about it if properly configured.
    I am free of such restrictions at the moment :D I have others, though.

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

I use Windows' built-in 2-3 times per year approximately. :D

That's enough for me. I don't really need to waste my hard-earned money on a third-party who puts my files in "best" place and gives me a 2% speed increase :p . I'd rather save my money, go out & buy some Raptors. Or a SCSI.

5. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

perfectly viable strategy with the right partitioning and usage pattern
    but for the average joe doing P2P on their system partition it leaves alot to be desired

http://web.archive.org/web/20030106143831/www.zapwizard.com/Partitioning/results.html
    http://web.archive.org/web/20030106143654/www.zapwizard.com/Partitioning/How-To.html

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.zapwizard.com/Partitioning/results.html
    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.zapwizard.com/Partitioning/How-To.html

(sorry the archive doesnt have all the PICs, the site's been a ghost for quite awhile,
    just linked the Jan 03 version other copies might be better \ different)
    also the "guide" can be a rather convoluted approach to a partition strategy
    a more common approach http://partition.radified.com/

I admit I fall somewhere in between the two examples
    the OS is separate from data but registry dependent aps are included on the system partition with the OS,
    however shell objects and ap data are forwarded to a dedicated data partition(s) for quick data independent recovery

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  6. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

Using Diskeeper 2007 Pro Premier and I love it.

7. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Maybe u can try the free ones like the JkDefrag....it is very small, no installation and fast...best of all completely free. ;) :thumb:

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I did not feel any difference in JKDefrag and Windows built in one!

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello.

Actually, I tried it recently, and I do like the simplicity of it. It was also rather fast on my WD2000KSs, but as aigle said in the previous post, I didn't find a speed increase when using it. It's not the question of money, I wouldn't mind paying for a defragmenter if it would increase performance significantly. We are taking here of single-figure numbers, and this is simply ridiculous effort IMO. If I were using FD-ISR, I would of course consider PerfectDisk, but I also don't find any benefit in using FirstDefense on my systems, so no defragmenter for me. Seems I'm almost something of a defragmenters hater. :D :D
    Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Cheers, guys.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Try this on. Yesterday I made an update on my Diskeeper 2007 to version 11.0.701.0. Apparently when I uninstalled my Spysweeper a while ago there was still a file in Windows. So the next time I booted up, just after the Windows splash screen, a message came up "ssieffr.e program not found - skipping auto check". There were no adverse effects, but every time I booted up it appeared for 2 seconds. Apparently the right way to get rid of it is to google the file name and download a 495k app which you use to go through windows, find this file and delete it. Well I'm a little nervous doing that because I was told to be careful or windows won't boot. So I did a system restore to a day before I did the update of DK and solved it that way. So I would just like to warn anyone with SS or had SS not to do the update if you are using Diskeeper. o_O

11. colleentoumayan

colleentoumayan Registered Member

Hi twl845, my name is Colleen Toumayan and I am the VP of Public Relations at Diskeeper Corporation.
    If you have any issues with Diskeeper, please contact our exceptional tech support team at tech_support@diskeeper.com.

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nice to see someone from diskeeper here
    diskeeper 2007 is like my best purchase ever
    it may be more expensive than perfectdisk 8.0 but definatly worth it
    the message above has knida worried me about upgrading to the lastest diskeeper build
    i use spysweeper version 5.3 5.3.1.2344 installed
    and i have the newer version of spysweeper 5.3.2.2361 on my desktop
    i will wait until at least my replacement ram arrives before i upgrade diskeeper to lastest build and spysweeper to lastest build
    lodore

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Coleentoumayan, Hi and thanks for your response to my post. Actually I don't think it's a DK problem, just that it caught this arrent Webroot file left from my Spysweeper uninstall. I had asked about the file in the Dell forum before I knew DK had dislodged it so to speak, and there was another person who had the same thing happen to him, and he doesn't use DK as far as I know. Any way I was able to undo the problem with a system restore, but I am afraid to do further updates to DK for fear of a reaccurance of the problem. I don't see what the tech support can do that I can't do if I want to go into Windows and delete the file. My Diskeeper is doing a great job in the present version11.0.698.0.

14. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Re: I've got 3 disk Defragmenters?

Hi All:

I've got 3 de-fragmenter's none of which I selected.

1) The one M$ put in with win xp ( it works)
    2) the one with Paragon's partition manager (it works)
    3) the one with Systems Mechanic 7 (don't know if it works)

How to KNOW which one is "best"

Paragon has options with it before you run it:

1) Put directories
    1st​
    leave as is​
    Last​

2) Sort Options
    SIZE
    don't sort​
    ascending​
    descending​

Modification times
    don't sort​
    ascending​
    descending​

3) Systems File Options
    Don't save pagefile.sys and /or hiberfil.sys

How do we decide which to use, options to pick?

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Escalader , I would dump em' all and get Diskeeper. Set it and forget it. It runs in the background and little by little keeps your HD defragged.

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

No slow downs?

17. Escalader

Thanks, can't dump them since they are embedded (like suites) but which Diskeeper ? there is a lite version. Runs in background active and not on demand?

18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

aigle - no slow downs. The only thing I notice is right after bootup the little disk light on my box is fluttering for about 30 seconds.

Escalader, I use the Home 2007 edition. There's also a pro edition for gamers and such and a 3rd choice too I think. The best suggestion is to check out the web site. Yes it runs in the background, but you can do a manual scan any time. You can also disable automatic defrag and do it manual. But why would you do that.

19. Escalader

Why would I do that? Well being a worrier at heart, if I have ongoing defrag and start using imaging software and doing partition mangement work I'm not sure defragging at the same time is a good idea?

But I don't really know...:oops:

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Escalader, Maybe you'd be better off with Perfect Disk 8. It doesn't defrag on the fly. I have a pretty simple set up so there's not too much going on at one time. Although If I read it right, DK doesn't defrag what's in use at the time.

21. Escalader

I have loaded DK home on 30 day trial (following my own advice on AV's to others).

I took a restore and a differential back up first, and all seems to be working okay. I'm about to enable ZA Pro now so we will see..... wait for it.

ZA told me DK wants to be a server, so that ok.

Now I'll try for email.... wait for it...well OUtlook can send, okay and it can receive email....

Now I'll browse... well that works as well.

The only thing now is I'll test if this DK crashes into SM 7.

Thnaks, thats enogh damage for 1 night

When I run imaging or partion work, I'll disable DK.

22. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Just the Windows built in defrag for me....tried quite a few others, I just never really see much of a diff. I don't install/uninstall programs frequently, nor change huge amounts of data much...so I barely have to defrag but every few months. XP's built in defragger will try to keep most frequently used files at optimal locations on the platter for performance.

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

yeoldstonecat, Just prior to installing Diskeeper, I checked the Windows defragger, and it said that a defrag wasn't necessary at that time. Then I installed Diskeeper and it eliminated about 1,500 fragments on the first pass. I guess the Windows defragger keeps the disk at an acceptable level, but a commercial defragger actually keeps the disk clean.

Escalader, Good luck with your DK. I hope you like it. :)

24. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    It comes down to what products "claims" you believe. Any 3rd party defragger is going to overhype/exaggerate the "fragmented files it claims to find". I typically don't fall for them. We have annual NFR copies of Diskkeeper..it's actually on my older Thinkpad...but honestly...never really saw a different except that DK ran a bit lighter during computer use...where Windows Defrag was a little more slowdown while working...but it's a non-issue for me as the once every several months I'll defrag...I just let it run for the 30 minutes or whatever...while I'm doing something else...or kick it off and go to bed. No matter how light a defragger was anyways...I'd not run it while I was using my PC.

Then those claims of which defragger puts files in a more optimal location than other products..."according to who?" Who's the expert who can actually claim to know what files are better off in certain locations on the platter?

Plus with todays super fast hard drives with abundant cache on them....performance differences between fragmented and defragmented drives are even more minimal than before with slow poke <2 meg cache drives.

Seen who makes the XP Defragger? Executive Software.....DiskKeeper. ;7

25. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

yeoldstonecat, I see your point. DK makes XP defrag eh, I love it. Happy St. Patrick's day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.