What's wrong with Eset Australia??

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Bille1, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bille1

Bille1 Registered Member

I contacted Eset Australia and asked what I assume should be a simple question of the sales Inquiry people at 12:41pm Perth (Australia) time Monday February 1, the response to date has been Zip, Zilch.

I appreciate that this site Wilders is NOT the Eset site but it seems that for a company to not have their own forum but conduct themselves through someone else's forum is a bit amateurish.

Should I just go across to one of the others like Kaspersky to save troubling them?

Hi

I have a licensed copy of Nod32 (Licence number supplied to Eset in original request) on my original computer XP Pro 32 bit and have just set up a new Win 7 Pro 64 bit computer which I understand will require purchasing the 64 bit version of the software.

The XP machine has the 32 bit Eset Nod32 presently installed and I believe it will expire soon so I still require the update of the Virus list for this machine.

Win7 machine doesn't have the 64 bit Eset (I haven't purchased yet) installed at this date because I have some concerns about the updates as both machines use the same email address how will each machine know which database to load when an update arrives over the net?

How do I go about doing this without screwing the lot.

Thanks for any advice.

Bill

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  2. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

To address your first question, I think if you take a look at Wilders Security Forums you will note it hosts forums for several established security and networking companies. In my dealings with the Wilders staff in the past almost-five years I have been at ESET, I have found them to be the as professional and responsive as CompuServe was when I ran McAfee Associates Computer Virus Help Forum back in the lates 1980s/early 1990s.

While Wilders is not exactly a household name, the forum, and the staff behind it, are well-known in the security community; as a matter of fact, have received numerous awards from companies like Microsoft. The Wilders Security Forum is a crackerjack group and I am rather pleased that ESET is able to host a forum with them. I know it seems rather odd to see a hosted forum like this, but the security space is rather odd compared to the rest of the computer industry and I think you will find that if you spend some time in the forum you will find it to be a treasure trove of information.

Now, to answer your question about licenses: Access to threat signature database and module updates are handled by the Username and Password you received when you purchased the software. In the event that more client computers try to download an update then are licensed, a variety of actions can occur, ranging from sending out a courtesy email, resetting the password, cancelling the license and so forth.

Some of the programs geared at businesses have more complex licensing mechanisms, but the idea is the same: As long as the number of licenses equals the number the computers running the software then there should be no issues with downloading updates.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

3. Bille1

Bille1 Registered Member

Aryeh, Thanks for the reply.

Just to confirm I'm understanding you correctly;

I have two (2) computers, one is a 32 bit XP machine and the other is a 64 bit Win7 machine.

(Question 1) I understand each computer will have a separate license and password and will only upload the appropriate, applicable signature database to each computer even though they share the same internet connection?

(Question 2) Is there any chance of a problem if the 32 bit XP computer was to try to install the 64 bit Win7 signature database or vice versa, or;

(a) That's not possible?

(b) Both databases are identical and it wouldn't matter?

(Question 3) Why do Eset Australia ignore emails?

Regards

Bill Edwards

4. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

In response to your questions:
    1. If you purchase a separate license for the second computers, you will obtain a new username and password for use with it. If you renew and upgrade your existing license to two computers, you should be able to use your existing license's username and password on both computers—check with the reseller or distributor from whom you are purchasing if you want to do this.
    2. Each copy of ESET's software (ESET NOD32 Antivirus, ESET Smart Security, ESET File Security for Linux, ESET Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange Server, et cetera) will only download the signatures and modules appropriate to update itself from ESET's servers. Signature updates are the same across engine versions (there might be some small differences across operating systems like the new Mac OS X version; I am not sure about that) and modules come in either 32-bit and 64-bit versions, as needed (these are the em00?_32.dat or em00?_64.dat files you see in your C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ directory).
    3. My best guess is that the folks in ESET's Australian office must be very busy. If you do not receive a reply to your voice mail or email in a reasonable amount of time then perhaps a local ESET reseller can assist you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.