What's the pros and cons of the AntiVir?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sweater, Jun 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The main cons of AntiVir Free, is that doesn't have Adware/Spyware detection...

For free, you have a better option out there...

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

That's true; but much of the nastier spyware is dropped from Trojans loaded via exploits and AntiVir is rather good at protecting against these trojans and hence is rather good at protecting against spyware in general.

What free AntiVir does not find is the Adware stuff coming onto your machine bundled with other progs; but this is the less serious end of the spectrum and you usually have spyware scanners to deal with it.

So on the whole I do not think you can justify the claim that there are better free choices of AV based on the detection rate of spyware.

3. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Indeed, I have found the spyware definitions to be valuable, just in a few short days. Picking up some things I would catagorize as a "Trojan", but most companies seem to catagorize it as spyware. Regardless, Antivir has found them due to the premium upgrade, which I appreciate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.