What’s the Fastest Web Browser in the “Real World?” Chrome.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Hungry Man, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

All browsers have Javascript whitelisting... though I don't bother with it anymore as it's a virtually useless security measure on Chrome.

I think the problem here is that you actually believe the difference is mere milliseconds and you fail to understand that heavy pages, heavy content, and other factors can increase page load times to quite a few seconds.

Try countint to 2... or 5... when you want to open a new page. It's a pain.

The web is only becoming heavier. Browsers need to keep up.

2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

No, "the problem" is that I don't see any problem worth noting regarding 'speeds' of the various browsers.

You're right-- that really is a pain. Doesnt work either.
    I'm going to stick with clicking on links.

3. Hungry Man

Meaning?

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I did, and I lived through it just fine :D I'm pretty much being lighthearted about it, but I do find people who obsess over milliseconds (again, unless something is about to blow up or there's a science experiment involved) rather silly. If someone gets fidgety over a few seconds, they perhaps need to worry about something more than browser speed. Just an opinion :)

5. Hungry Man

I would hate it if I had to wait 2 seconds every time my browser wants to load a page. I'd notice a difference between 1 and 2 seconds. Would I notice the difference between .5 and 1 seconds? Maybe not.

But for a heavy page the difference might be 5 seconds instead of 10. Or 60 fps instead of 55.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

"Heavier"=completely messed up. Take away the Facebook banners and "I likes", the Flash ads/movies, and there's a good portion of "heaviness" gone ;)

7. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Meaning I could've counted to a hundred million, and the page still wouldn't have opened until I clicked on a bookmark or took some other physical action to initiate the loading.

8. Hungry Man

Not really. Javascript can be very heavy and it's not necessarily bloat. And either way, weren't we just discussing how only real world matters?

The web IS getting heavier.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

How did FPS get in this? :D This isn't World of Warcraft or Call of Duty we're talking about here, lol.

10. Hungry Man

Plenty of web content has FPS.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Where the hell are you surfing that all of this is such a big thing? Lol, maybe you do all those little HTML5 demos and what not. I have a rather tame surfing habit (unless you count illegal streams and such :p ), so I guess I'm not that affected.

12. Hungry Man

You can expect quite a lot more of it as the web develops. It's important that browsers keep up. If they stagnated and stopped developing for performance you would see a lot more than 5ms page load times.

13. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, good point there. However, if by "web develops" you mean the further implementation of HTML5, we have a long way to go still. Browsers are still deciding what functions to support and not support (reminds me of the old wmv vs realplayer vs quicktime and so on days), and HTML5 isn't even close to being done, let alone standard. The web won't change tomorrow, it won't even change next year. I get your point though, and it's valid, if quite a bit too early to worry over.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

So, after all this discussion, does everyone concur that Chrome is the fastest web browser? ;)

15. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

While it is the most naked one of them all, so naturally, I say Yes.:)

16. Hungry Man

So when should we worry about it? After we start seeing slow downs then we should start working on performance? =p

HTML5 isn't the only new web project going on.

I just think it's silly to outright dismiss performance because it's measured in ms (and they often end up being hundreds of ms, it's just measured for accuracy.)

17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I'm happy with the performance of Firefox. Where's Opera?

18. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The only reason there is any slowdown is because of the "annoyances" of the web, but no, we shouldn't wait. Dismissing performance and not obsessing over charts are two different things. I'm not dismissing anything (though I still don't see any point in the constant "browser war" tests that involve running some benchmark), I'm simply saying I don't care if 2-3 seconds pass by while a page is loading. The sun won't drop out of the sky if you have to wait a few seconds for a page to load. Nothing more to my opinion, nothing less :)

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Opera is purposefully ignored. Most places won't bother with you if you aren't the "Big Three", which, of course is stupid, but normal.

20. Hungry Man

Opera holds like... 3% of browser share on a good day.

21. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have it on 4 different notebooks and it is faster than Firefox and Opera. Now whether one should change to Chrome because of milliseconds I'm not so sure. Choosing a browser is about how one feels using it, I liked a lot Firefox and Opera and used them for long periods of time, but Chrome always feels as the one having the state of the art in browser development. I think that ever since Chrome became a real player, being new and innovative, it contributed significantly to the improvement of other browsers: competition is the mother of all innovation.

22. Hungry Man

Yes, other browsers have changed quite a lot. They'd stagnated for some time before Chrome.

23. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

"Web development" is an interesting angle. Web page designers are really pushing the envelope. Unfortunately, their attempts at design can place an emphasis on form over function which is highly appreciated by those on one side of the "digital (and financial) divide" or not an issue for them but which can be problematic for others.

Currently, pages (or their servers) detect the overall class of device being used to access them and provide pages accordingly. I'm nor sure there are pages that serve content depending on the specs of the device within each classs.

And folks interested in speed can look at these two (plus the comments in the second one):
    http://www.ghacks.net/2011/07/28/google-page-speed-service-website-optimization-service/
    http://www.ghacks.net/2011/07/27/load-google-button-asynchronous-for-faster-loading-times/

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

And cooperation.

I see, but I think it's innovative and competitive enough to be added.

25. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

you don't have to be computer professional to notice that ff 5 behave heavily when using it .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.