Whats the difference between Norton and Powerquest Partition magic

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by AnthonyG, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I read a thread here at wilders where almost eveybody said not to use norton partition magic. Now i am wondering why, as at my local pc store i can get the new norton partition magic cheap. So i was wondering after everybody said dont get it in that thread, what was wrong with the program? Is it just because people dont like norton products or is it something more than that?.

Also how is it like for uninstalling, as some nortong products are amazingly difficult to uninstall.

Thanks

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Norton is famous for making products that don't leave your system without kicking and screaming. I personally use Norton Ghost 2003. I have not had any problems with that and it uninstalls relatively easy. Some of the older versions of Partition Magic are very good, in my opinion, but I have not tried it in recent years. Norton makes very good products (hence the reason they have been around for so long), but their products have gotten bigger and bigger and now are considered "bloat-ware". Which, is one reason why people have shy'd away from it.

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi Anthony, ;)

As far as my thoughts in that thread and this one are concerned, the only reason I recommended the PowerQuest version is because that is the version I use, it works flawlessly, and it's truly is an excellent app overall. The reason I didn't recommend the Symantec version is two-fold; 1) usually when software , or a software company is bought out by another company, they usually try to "improve" the product or at least change it to put their footprint on it. 2) I wouldn't ever recommend a product I haven't used, past or present.

I don't have anything against Symantec, personally, I actually currently use a few of their products, and have no issue with them. If you want to purchase the new version, I don't really see any issue with it. Hopefully, someone who uses/or has used/tried Symantec's Version will give you a review. Other than that, the best advice would be to trial it, if Symantec does provide a trial version, and give it a run for yourself.

HTH, ;)

Steve

4. Capp

Capp Registered Member

*Claps*
    That is what I was looking to try and say, but couldn't find the words...so instead, I just rambled on for awhile in an attempt to explain it.

I totally agree though. I have used Symantec's old version and I have also used Partition Magic, when it was owned by the original company and it worked perfectly. I haven't tried any of the latest.

Best thing to do....try it. Then you can testify either way :)

5. Cynheidre

Cynheidre Registered Member

Is there any difference yet?
    I recently used Norton PM 8.5 or 8.05. I've used Powerquests PM many, many times before and couldn't see any difference whatsoever.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I think that the only thing that was changed was the company name...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.