What's the best way of making sure my computer isn't infected by viruses/trojans?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DesuMaiden, Jan 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Can you guys please give me some tips on how to make sure my computer doesn't get infected by viruses, trojans and other nasty computer programs? I think not downloading free software from sketchy sources is a good way to start.

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Good http blocker such as forticlient or k9 web protection. Either of these two will prevent 99% of infections from the websites including adware which pretty much should be considered as malware rather than something harmless.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Stay off line. :D

4. mattdocs12345

It won't help. Recently I had been infected from USB drives more often than from the world wide web.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

If you get used to opening USB drives sandboxed "all the time" (using Sandboxie), you wont get infected again from anything that runs out of a USB drive. Its better (automatic) if you use the paid version but it can also be done using the free version.

Bo

6. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Being extra careful about what I install or run out of the sandbox and running all files that come into my computer in a sandbox has proven to work for me. Thats really all I do and it works.

Bo

7. guest

guest Guest

- LUA if you can
    - Default-deny policy/anti-executable
    - A classical HIPS on the chattiest mode if you can handle it
    - EMET if you think you need it
    - OS hardening tweaks
    - Modern OS (that means no XP allowed)
    - Have as little amount of programs and extensions installed as possible
    - Pseudo download repository like Softpedia or Major Geeks (or Linux repo if you're on Linux)
    - Stay up to date
    - Trust no one, believe nothing
    - Don't rely on luck
    - And of course, a good imaging program. It's a joy to be able to revert the time, as long as the problem is not too fatal like hardware malware

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
  8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Update your system and software and don't install software you don't trust or know.

Regards, hqsec

9. ravnen

ravnen Registered Member

I completely agree with hqsec
    Keep it simple and use only the build-in security features in the OS. Everything else is overkill.

1. Update your OS and apps
    2. Activate Enhanced Protected Mode, SmartScreen and ActiveX filtering in IE 10/11
    3. Common sense (deny anything you did not ask for)

1-2 should take care of any zero day exploit (flash,java) or drive-by attack (exploit, download exe or zip files)
    3 should eliminate phishing links or drive-by attack

Now, if you want a super slow non-productive computer, that will give you endless problems, you should ask the same question
    in the forum section "other anti-malware software" and take advice from the thread “What is your security setup these days?”

/Jesper

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  10. mattdocs12345

So staying offline is not the only solution afterall!

I disagree. I post in other anti-malware software section and “What is your security setup these days?” and I have a very minimal security set up. Also default Windows security options such as UAC don't work very well unless you know what the hell you are doing. MSE is alse a menice that should be put down like a rabbit dog and thankfully it is in Windows XP.

11. guest

guest Guest

At least they don't drill more holes to the OS.

12. mattdocs12345

Except for the end user mindlessly elevating every process to admin. UAC is simply useless for novice users. MSE is a flop on respected AV tests.
    When I set up Windows for family members I put in a strong website blocker such as Forti or K9 and that solves 90% of the problems. UAC is always off because it's useless for them.
    Each to their own.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

UAC does more than prompt you. Every process that doesn't prompt run with limited rights instead of admin privileges without UAC. That is unless you're using a standard account in which you lose the ability to elevate programs. Plus it's required for Internet Explorer's Protected Mode and file/registry virtualization (needed for multiple privileges on one account).

Whether you disable it or not is up to you, but I would recommend admin approval mode instead of disabling it altogether. All that does is automatically allow the prompts, but keeps the other security features of UAC.

14. guest

guest Guest

Which is why we give them LUA.

15. mattdocs12345

Wont work. Recently people got infected by Ads served from Yahoo. Also USB infections are another problem. You need to do more than keeping your system updated.

+1

16. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Remote Code Execution:
    - System hardening and reducing the attack surface.
    - Secure the perimeter and sandbox/restrict the threatgates.

Social Engineering:
    - Just try your best not to fall for it.

Backup and recovery.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.