What's the best free firewall for Windows 98 (Win9x/ME)?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by pcalvert, Oct 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcalvert

pcalvert Registered Member

The subject says it all: What's the best free firewall for Windows 98 (Win9x/ME)?

The thing that prompted me to ask this question is that I am currently using Kerio PF 2.1.5, and I'd like to switch to something a little more modern. I was going to give Kerio PF 4.2.x a try, but then I saw that it only works on Windows 2000/XP.

Phil

2. fannymites

fannymites Registered Member

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

NetVeda is slightly heavy, and Filseclab is OK except for the small ads.....Both work well IMO :)

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Actually at 6mb and max CPU of 4% average, NetVeda is lighter than Filseclab, however the later has much better rule making but no component control which NetVeda features.

5. pcalvert

I tried NetVeda back in June and had some problems with it. It may not have been NetVeda's fault, though. There could be something weird about my system, or maybe I didn't completely uninstall Sygate before installing NetVeda. I am going to try it again on a clean system to see how it behaves.

Does anyone know how well either of these work when there is a local proxy in use? I am referring to something like Proxomitron or the web-filtering component of AVAST.

Phil

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Sygate tends to leave behind some NDIS drivers, there is a detailed explanation of clean un-install of Sygate at their forum.

I faced some problems with NetVeda and Avast as well even though I made a rule for Avast, however others with Avast haven't faced my problems so could be machine specific.

7. z12

z12 Registered Member

Hi pcalver

I'm running Jetico on XP having switched from kerio 2.15 about a month ago. Jetico says it work with 98/ME but I haven't tried that.

Since your used to a rules based firewall, I think you'll like it, I know I do. I converted my kerio rules over without to much hassle.

I also use Proxomitron and was able to create the necessary loopback rules to prevent unauthorized programs from accessing it. The loopback rules were a bit of pain, the invert port # doesn't work in the application table rules, but an email I got from said they would fix this in the next Major release.

As for memory usage, it seems light to me, varies between 3-7M.

All in all, I'm happy with it and haven't looked back. I've decided I like running a firewall that is supported by the vendor.

HTH

Mike

8. pcalvert

Hi Mike (z12),

I was going to try Jetico at one time (a few months ago), but I saw several reports of people experiencing BSODs on Win9x. So I decided to avoid it for the time being. I will probably try it at some point, though.

Phil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.