What's the best free AV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by notageek, Aug 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Ok I know pay AV's are better (I have NAV and it's a good prog). I would like to know what everyone thinks the best free AV is?

2. yodafan

yodafan Guest

Hey notageek,

Its probably be AVG...... also fprot for dos is good too.... but again u get wut u pay for. Does ne one have a Free AV Test result done recently?

YODA

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

A large majority of posters on forums all over the net seem to favor AVG.But,like yoda says;you get what you pay for.I switched to NOD32 recently and have no regrets,I do have more peace of mind though.LOL

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Agreed with YODA here: AVG and FProt/DOS.

And yes: quality does have a price tag indeed ;)

regards.

paul

5. notageek

Yes you do get what you pay for that's why I bought NAV. LOL... I juat had to find out what free ver. everyone would use if they couldn't get a pay ver. I see that on other boards people are talking highly about AVG. I never tried the prog.

6. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

I have used AVG for the past six months and am well satisfied with it. It has stopped several virus and script exploits. Its scan engine is relatively fast and it does not seem to give false positives. Their virus signature updates and many and regular. Their support is excellent. I have recommended it to several friends.

Let's make a distinction between those who want a program for free and those who need one through necessity. Usually, the best costs more but sometimes people can only get the best possible free programs.

For now I use AVG. In the future, when I am able, I will probably purchase NOD32.

7. Open Source

Open Source Guest

go here there is the best free av http://www.gladiator-secure.de/HOME/

8. Paul Wilders

Open Source,

Gladiator is an anti-trojan, and at the moment in very early stages. [/i]Not recommended[/i] as a first line in defense.

regards.

paul

9. Open Source

Open Source Guest

:oops:IM sorry about that I was under the impression that it was a new av hence forth new usually means up to date all other avs that are free are usually abandon ware and extremely out of date.

didnt know it was a Trojan av sorry about that guys next time ill read more closely.

10. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

F-Prot for DOS PERIOD !

Technodrome

11. Paul Wilders

A brand new versiono_O Never ever heard about the "PERIOD" version.. :D

regards.

paul

12. Technodrome

:D :D

Technodrome

13. Gnostic

Gnostic Registered Member

Upon further consideration, I use AVG AND F-Prot (DOS) for two-way protection.

14. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam Guest

>Agreed with YODA here: AVG and FProt/DOS.

F-Prot ist very very weak. Bad heuristics and very slow offering updates.

I remembered wizards signature in the trojaner-board.de:

"If you think safety is expensive, try an accident!"

15. controler

controler Guest

Well said Andreas ;)

It is human nature to want free but the rule to remember here is

You pay for what you get..

Andreas ? I am very sorry to hear of your illness and hope God may bless you :D

16. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam Guest

since i am 11 years (7 years ago) old i "play around" with viruses and malware. f-prot was one of the most powerfull virus scanners. but since 3.x it got worse. very slow scan speed, very slow updates and reaction time, no online packer unpacking and so on.

f-prot has still a very powerfull variant detection based on 2 signatures (a family and a variant signature). but the engine is quite weak. a slow emulation, no unpacking of online compressed files and so on. besides the reaction time between a high outbreak and the ability to update the dos version is very high. in fact it has very serious problems with new malware (detecting and especially cleaning).

if i had to choose i would use trojancheck + antivir pe. antivir has many false positives (by the way, f-prot, too) but updates for new malware are very fast. the emulation is able to handle new malware, too. ok, it can't unpack exe packers :eek:). trojancheck has a few bugs but is very well to fight against unknown worms and trojans.

17. Technodrome

Hmmm... I couldn't agree with you~!

Technodrome

18. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam Guest

Ok - created 50 unknown viruses. No one was found. The backdoors and trojans f-prot claims to be suspicious were found using fingerprinting - not using heuristics. Frisk was only too lazy to give them names ;o).

The reaction time of anti vir is about 3 hours if there are no complications. kav needed about 15 minutes and f-prot about 8 hours. all under 1 hour is good - all others bad.

19. Technodrome

Are you talking about DOS or Win Version?

Technodrome

20. DrSeltsam

DrSeltsam Guest

we talk about free av - and only the dos version is free. the windows version is still a good choice :eek:).

21. Technodrome

Ok!
    I know that DOS version could get a little bit more attention from frisk, but I still think that f-prot dos is the best freeware choice out there!

Technodrome

22. wizard

wizard Registered Member

First of all no one of the available free anti virus scanner is really good. Maybe that is the reason why they are free. ;) I agree with Technodrome that F-Prot for DOS is out of the four the best one. The heuristic is not that bad (by the way Andreas did you check with the /AI switch?).

AntiVirPE has besites the missing packer support other negative issues. No real heurisitic feature. That means even to detect a simple VBS worm the program has to be updated. Also the macro virus detection is bad.

wizard

23. notageek

Wizard all I have to say is that lot of people get a free AV as a second AV. I use Norton as my main and my second AV is AVG6. I was thinking of using f-prot dos but having downloaded it yet. I have been really busy to download it lol.

24. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

you all wrong the best av is no internet lol

25. Technodrome

You could still get infected by using the internal devices (A:\ F:\) :cool:

Technodrome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.