What's the best AV program considering these factors?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by msingle, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msingle

msingle Registered Member

I'm looking for suggestions on an AV program that is best in these categories in order of importance:

1. Detection and cleaning (this would include frequency of updates)
    2. Resources used
    3. Ease of use
    4. Support (doesn't have to be "personal" - self support is ok)
    5. Full features available for Windows NT/2000/XP systems

I know that program XXX may be the best at detection and cleaning but may be a memory/resource hog. Program YYY may be easy to use and have great support but doesn't detect and clean very well.

I'm currently using NAV but looking elsewhere due to the resources used and the full features aren't available for Windows 2000 which I use on my primary computer.

So taking all these factors into consideration, which would you recommend?

Thanks.

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Try taking a look at http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/latest_comparative/index.xml

I have found all you are looking for in Nod32, however why don't you try the trial version, as well take a look at the above link and go for the top 3 and see how you go.

Just my 2 cents worth :D

Cheers :D

3. msingle

msingle Registered Member

Thanks for the suggestion on NOD32 - I think I will give it a trial. But I'm still looking for other suggestions.

On the lab results I'm not too sure what to make of it all. For example according to ICSA AVG has passed the last year's worth of tests but according to Virus Bulletin it fails more often than it passes. Bottom line, I don't know who to believe when it comes to these tests.

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Virus Bulliten is world reknown. From what I can see there are 2 other companies that test for viruses, both you have to become paying members to receive their results.

If I had NOT found Nod32, and was looking again, after myself and 3 friends became infected with a fully up-to-date AVG Free version, over a 6 month period, then I would take a look at who won the most, 2nd and 3rd most awards at VB and try the trial versions (if available). Thus you are testing products with good history.

NAV is reknown for making a PC into a pig, as well I've just seen too many problems associated with NAV and their products to want to use it...

Cheers :D

5. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Kaspersky is another well respected AV. Scanning is slower than NOD32 but it has pretty good trojan detection for an AV. I don't use it personally.

http://www.kaspersky.com/

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

The Kaspersky Swiss site http://www.avp.ch/ is very good as you can download trials there with a 30 day key . They also give you an option of using the 3.5 which is for some a faster version. It is said by others that KAV has excellent virus -trojan and malware protection.

7. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Msingle from Firefighter!

About capability of cleaning infections, look at some tests on checkvir.com sites, you may be surprised.

About detection rates, look at av-test.org also.

Don't forget archive scanning capability, see about av-test.org. Bad archive scanner leaves your PC absolutely sure infected before long.

For example KAV is capable to scan over 2 x amount files than the excellent NOD32, and 1,5 x that DrWeb is capable to scan. So you may need at least a good backup?

Remember, in real world there is not only one "right" truth and testing organisation, you must make your decisions combined from several sources. ;)

"The truth is out there, but it hurts"

Regards,
    Firefighter!

8. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Detection and cleaning: NOD or NAV or KAV
    Resources: NOD
    Ease of use: AVAST! or NAV (imo)
    Support: Can only speak for NAV and AVAST!, and both have been good in my experience. I use NAV at work, and AVAST! at home, so there's my two cents! For home users, I have grown to really like AVAST! And for my networked situation at work. NAV works great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.