What's A Good Sandboxie alternative

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by twl845, Apr 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I am looking for a Sandboxie alternative that functions the same way. SBie has my FF down to a crawl of 28 seconds loading on a cold startup. It's not the add-ons of FF as I thought. If anyone has any good suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks. :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  2. philby

philby Registered Member

Don't think there is one that works 'the same way'...?

For something similar, and at application rather than system level, I only know of Altiris SVS

philby

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  3. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

I'd be very interested in this too.
    Sadly sandboxie crashed my pc the two times i tried it.

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

5. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Maybe there's a conflict between Sandboxie and one of your other programs. Sandboxie adds about 3-5 secs to the opening of Firefox for me. Cold start to my customized iGoogle page in 10 sec.

On Vista Home I'm running Edge trial mode, Returnil free anti-execute function only, LUA with surun and Lucy's SRP tweak found elsewhere on this forum. No resident AV.

I don't know if it makes a difference but I'm also running Perfectdisk 8 for my defragmenter.

6. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Yep same here. I'm using FF beta 3.1 #3 with SBIE 3.34 and it absolutely flys. I'm also using CIS (Safe mode/Clean PC mode/Stateful AV). Running on Vista Home (sp1). It doesn't hurt that I have 3G memory and dual core 3.0G processor. :D

7. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

I'm running an AMD dual core laptop with 2G memory. Going to try the new CIS on my desktop with SBIE.

Anyway maybe there's a conflict with OA by chance? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=232088

8. Someone

Someone Registered Member

What about GesWall or DropMyRights or LUA?

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Someone is makeing a good suggestion,

I have chrome running in GeSWall Pro (you can also use free) with these settings

Resource Type Access
    %HKCU%\Software\Google% File Allow
    %HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Cache% File Allow
    %HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Cookies% File Allow
    %HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\History% File Allow
    %HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders\Local AppData%\Google\Chromium\ File Allow
    %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Chromium File Allow
    * Network Allow
    \Device\NamedPipe\chrome File Allow
    \Device\NamedPipe\lsass File Redirect
    C:\ File Read Only
    D:\ File Redirect
    D:\Downloads File Allow
    D:\TEMP File Allow
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER Registry Redirect
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE Registry Read Only

Red meaning allowing internet access, Green limiting access rights of Chromium to HKLM, C and to read only, Redirect (is virtualise, throw away after Chromium closes) of D:\ and HKU registry hive. Chromium is only allowed to write to the download directory and a few of its own directories.

Chromium applies a sandbox between the main application and the rendering engine, with this settings the main Chromium application is sandboxed also.

Combo GeSWall and Chromium is startup times < 1 sec at a E5200@3,06Ghz

Regards Kees

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  10. waters

waters Registered Member

Firefox was too slow for me too,but with the latest beta and Chrome there is no delay at all.It runs faster than with Firefox on its own.

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep,

It is up to your own taste. I just like the internal sandbox of Chrome. See Arup's/Longboard's thread, MrBrian's post links to extract of winning hacker interview see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1427832&postcount=9

So I figured when Chrome was hard to beat by itself, what about a double sandbox layer :D When a bunch of people are being chased by a lion, to survive you do not have to outrun the lion, only the slowest human chased :D

12. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

The only problem if you want to call it a problem with SBIE is on the initial startup of the Web browsers (IE8 or FF3.1) it takes about 12secs longer. After that, it loads pages just as fast as without the sandbox. The 12secs I can live with based on the security you get with any sandbox. After browsing, flush the toilet. :D

Ice

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I did a little more experimenting. With SBie uninstalled, FF takes 17 seconds to load on a cold start, and 4 seconds thereafter. With SBie installed, FF takes 28 to 30 seconds to load on a cold start and 17 seconds thereafter. I've been using FF about 3 years and I can remember when it took 7 seconds on a cold start. What's different? IE7 takes 4 seconds and has always taken 4 seconds. Too bad it's a dud.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  14. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Maybe this is why Firefox has slowed down. http://ryanschwartz.net/2009/03/19/adventures-in-firefox-placessqlite

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

16. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

More experimenting. I installed Opera (again). It takes 10 seconds to load on a cold start, and 3 to 4 seconds on subsequent starts. I then made Opera my default browser, and ran it in SBie. It took 20 seconds to load on a cold start. See my results for FF above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.