What's a good replacement of ShadowDefender?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by bellgamin, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luffy

luffy Registered Member

Can Comodo Time Machine replace ShadowDefender?

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Tried it in XP VM and nothing of LastPass to be found after reboot.

Even though the developer of Shadow Defender has gone missing it is still one of the best virtualizers around and I wouldn't replace it with anything unless a serious bypass is found or there are issues on your machine.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

In my opinion, no, they are too different from one another including using different technologies to achieve their results.

Acadia

4. brainrb1

brainrb1 Registered Member

I am on vista.I dont know why it did not bypass on your machine but in my machine it did.

5. brainrb1

It was taken after cleaning with ccleaner's registry clean.I ran Ace utilities registry clean.I had saved this snapshot...as i have said, i am new to these kind of programs(i am just pointing out what i found) and i have not used Time freeze after this bypass...Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Comodo Time Machine (CTM) is a rollback app, NOT a Lite Virtualizer.

If you intend to give CTM a trial, I suggest you do a careful search/read of Wilders forums. CTM has been reported as a problem by some users.

In any event, since this thread pertains to ShaDef & other Lite Virtualizers, discussions of CTM would be pretty much off-topic. You might want to start a separate thread or add on to one of the current CTM threads.

Good Luck! :thumb:

7. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Session Virtualization
    -or-
    Session Virtualizer

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Oopsies, I tested Shadow Defender and not Time Freeze. :ouch:

9. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Before we totally dismiss the reference to CTM as being off the subject & off limits for further discussion in this thread I would like to add that if it works & that is questionable CTM will in fact accomplish the same results as ShadowDefender as will FDISR under XP or Vista as will RollBack & its clones. Not completely on the subject is the discussion of Whether CTM will corrupt your installation of Windows resulting in reformat. Apparently, the only light virtualization utility that is in current development is Returnil. The others were either one man operations or aimed at a different market than is represented in our forum. I am somewhat alarmed by the fact that ShadowDefender can & does conflict with some windows installations. What is more concerning is the fact that the developer suddenly has disappeared, This is representative of other one man operations & has been discussed in this forum before.
    In fact, Returnil is a viable commercial operation that is still in active development. There is good representation by Returnil in the Wilders forum. CTM is marketed by Comodo which appears to me likely to stay in business. RollBack & its Clones are also actively developed & commercially marketed. I guess if you have a good image restore application you could use that also & even experiment with some of these other virtualization systems. But why not use the the image restore most of us have as a total substitute for all these virtualization experiments?

10. bellgamin

I'm not sure how CTM "works" but Rollback & its ilk establish a "baseline" and maintain a file thereof on your HD. Thereafter RB makes a file of each & every snapshot that you make, & also keeps those files on your HD.

RB will "fail" if the integrity of these snapshot files is disturbed. I speak from actual, sad experience.

Thus, RB & its ilk do not actually create a "virtual zone" but, rather, are a means for returning to a recorded/prior status of your computer via reinstating a snapshot file.

Returnil & its ilk do not rely on snapshot-files of prior states of one's computer. Rather, they create a virtual replica of one's computer. Thus, Returnil & its ilk are more akin to sandboxes & to "full" virtualizers than they are to RB & its ilk.

For some reason, RB corrupted my entire Windows set-up, such that I had to undertake major repairs via other software. I have heard that CTM can & has done the same. I have never heard of a lite virtualizer wreaking such havoc, but perhaps you have. If so, please share that information with us.

Do you have any information to support this statement? I have emailed 2 on the list I gave above, & both replied timely & responsively that they were struggling with the idiosyncrasies of Win7 & 64-bit etc.

Do you know "inside information" that we do not have? Please share it.

The only problems I have had with ShaDef are that I sometimes had to reinstall Prevx (mystery) or restore my desktop after a reboot -- done by right-click>properties>desktop>ok. If you can link to a thread on this topic here at Wilders or at the ShaDef forum, I would like to read more about this "conflict with windows installations."

Worse yet, he disappeared without a word to anyone that I know of. Yes, I have been bitten by the cessation of 1-man outfits more than once. I have also paid for apps that shortly after became freeware (Malware Defender & Puran were the most recent).

But it is sometimes a fact that 1 person working alone can undertake risks & innovations that large outfits cannot or will not undertake. Sometimes the 1 man wins. Sometimes he loses. So also do his customers. Pioneers like Ilya (DW) & Frederic (LnS) & Mike Nash (OA) & Jei (ProSec) & Vasily (SSM) are "heroes" & trailblazers in my book.

So -- yes -- I will still buy an innovative program from a 1-man outfit -- in a heartbeat -- even after having been burned multiple times.

The only "info-of-record" that I have found is shown below. Do you have further information on the internal affairs & finances of Returnil?

ScrHunt03 14-Aug-10.gif

"Most of us"? Do you have some statistic that I can see on this?

I do use an imaging program (Image for DOS) -- have happily done so for several years. As to why some of us like to use lite virtualization, this thread is seeking software. PLEASE do not turn it into another "Comodo against the world" thread. If you are sincerely interested in reading more about lite virtualization -- its pros * cons -- I suggest you read HERE & HERE -- or start a thread on this topic. I would be interested in such a thread. I really would. :) :thumb:

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  11. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

Thanks for your feedback, brainrb1.

Just tried LastPass installation with W. Time Freeze ON.

After reboot LastPass files/registries entries not found at all. Tested with System Explorer snapshot feature, and RegScanner, NirSoft tool.

Wondershare Time Freeze is doing their work like a charm here: easy-to-use by novices, trusty, without conflits with others security applications. High CPU usage when active though.

Used Wondershare Time Freeze, free version 1.0, Win XP Pro.

12. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

Bellgamin

08/14/10 21:03:12 whois returnil.com
    .com is a domain of USA & International Commercial
    Searches for .com can be run at http://www.crsnic.net/

whois -h whois.crsnic.net returnil.com ...
    Redirecting to BEIJING INNOVATIVE LINKAGE TECHNOLOGY LTD. DBA DNS.COM.CN

whois -h whois.dns.com.cn returnil.com ...

Domain Name.......... returnil.com
    Creation Date........ 2006-08-02 12:00:59
    Registration Date.... 2006-08-02 12:00:59
    Expiry Date.......... 2011-08-02 12:00:59
    Organisation Name.... Returnil China Co.Ltd.
    Organisation Address. nan jing shi xia guan qu zhang cai cun 11-15
    Organisation Address.
    Organisation Address. nanjing
    Organisation Address. 210016
    Organisation Address. JS
    Organisation Address. CN

Admin Name........... ge feng
    Admin Address........ nan jing shi xia guan qu zhang cai cun 11-15
    Admin Address........
    Admin Address........ nanjing
    Admin Address........ 210016
    Admin Address........ JS
    Admin Address........ CN
    Admin Email.......... Returnil@returnil.com
    Admin Phone.......... +86.2583196308
    Admin Fax............ +86.2583196309

Tech Name............ ge feng
    Tech Address......... nan jing shi xia guan qu zhang cai cun 11-15
    Tech Address.........
    Tech Address......... nanjing
    Tech Address......... 210016
    Tech Address......... JS
    Tech Address......... CN
    Tech Email........... Returnil@returnil.com
    Tech Phone........... +86.2583196308
    Tech Fax............. +86.2583196309

Bill Name............ zhihui zang
    Bill Address......... tianjin xiqingqudasiquanjibieli22-1-102
    Bill Address.........
    Bill Address......... tjjing
    Bill Address......... 300385
    Bill Address......... TJ
    Bill Address......... CN
    Bill Email........... Returnil@returnil.com
    Bill Phone........... +86.2283989276-608
    Bill Fax............. +86.2283989278
    Name Server.......... ns.cnkuai.cn
    Name Server.......... ns.cnkuai.com

08/14/10 21:05:33 dns returnil.com
    Mail for returnil.com is handled by returnil.com.s7a1.psmtp.com
    Canonical name: returnil.com
    Addresses:
    Dig returnil.com@ns.cnkuai.cn (60.28.246.97) ...
    Authoritative Answer
    Recursive queries supported by this server
    Query for returnil.com type=255 class=1
    returnil.com A (Address) 198.145.43.133
    returnil.com NS (Nameserver) ns.cnkuai.cn
    returnil.com SOA (Zone of Authority)
    Primary NS: ns.cnkuai.cn
    Responsible person: admin@cnkuai.cn
    serial:350
    refresh:900s (15 minutes)
    retry:600s (10 minutes)
    expire:86400s (24 hours)
    minimum-ttl:3600s (60 minutes)
    returnil.com MX (Mail Exchanger) Priority: 10 returnil.com.s7a1.psmtp.com
    returnil.com TXT (Text Field)
    v=spf1
    ip4:207.126.144.0/20
    ip4:64.18.0.0/20
    ip4:74.125.148.0/22
    include:_spf.google.com
    ~all
    ns.cnkuai.cn A (Address) 60.28.246.97
    Dig returnil.com@ns.cnkuai.com (221.238.195.117) ...
    Authoritative Answer
    Recursive queries supported by this server
    returnil.com NS (Nameserver) ns.cnkuai.com
    returnil.com SOA (Zone of Authority)
    Primary NS: ns.cnkuai.com
    Responsible person: admin@cnkuai.com
    serial:352
    refresh:900s (15 minutes)
    retry:600s (10 minutes)
    expire:86400s (24 hours)
    minimum-ttl:3600s (60 minutes)
    returnil.com TXT (Text Field)
    v=spf1
    ip4:207.126.144.0/20
    ip4:64.18.0.0/20
    ip4:74.125.148.0/22
    include:_spf.google.com
    ~all
    ns.cnkuai.com A (Address) 221.238.195.117
    returnil.com.s7a1.psmtp.com A (Address) 64.18.6.14

returnil.com NS (Nameserver) ns.cnkuai.com
    returnil.com NS (Nameserver) ns.cnkuai.cn
    ns.cnkuai.com A (Address) 221.238.195.117
    ns.cnkuai.cn A (Address) 60.28.246.97

13. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Can this replica of one's computer be stored/created/used somewhere other than the system drive? I'm interested in this type of light virtualization but have always used Eaz-Fix Pro or CTM due to my lack of knowledge concerning two things

1) The making of the replica and the restoration of it has to be more of a wear and tear load on the pc and possibly shorten it's life span as opposed to instant recovery

2) As mentioned above, the placement of the replica. I would prefer that it be on an external source which I don't even know if it's possible.

Please note where I said "my lack of knowledge". In other words, I've never researched it but your post on searching for a replacement has got me to thinking and looking for this type of restoration and leaving behind the Wizard of Ozatry type methods used by the apps I mention above. I say that because I too really don't understand how they work. I've always just used them and follwed the advice of "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain". So far they have always worked well and I have used them more than most, especailly when trying all the latest and greatest security apps.

14. bellgamin

Shadow Defender can put any or all of your computer's hard drives into shadow mode.

AFAIK, most of what a Lite Virtualizer does is done in RAM. Little or no wear & tear except, of course, for the reboot to exit shadow mode.

I suppose it's "possible." But (AFAIK) that isn't the way it's being done.

15. brainrb1

I am not going to argue back and forth on this subject and i am not bashing any product(a free one? no way). I m on vista .I posted the screen shot which i had saved . As i have said, i am new to these kind of softwares. I am not asking you to stop using it ..if its working great for you ...i am happy for you :)

16. brainrb1

I would like to ask any one using Time freeze that: 1) if you download a program is a regular download and install on freeze mode 2)download and install on freeze mode. Is there a difference o_O
    I downloaded the program as a regular download and used the freeze mode to install and try(i used LastPass for a few hours )..
    .I have tried it on some games and it removed them clean (downloaded and installed on freeze mode), it is only with LastPass i noticed the bypass.
    Thank you. :)

17. majoMo

majoMo Registered Member

@ brainrb1, there aren't no difference here. At the moment the app. installer starts, Time Freeze must be ON ever (it was I did when tried LastPass, e.g.).

18. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Upperfilters are storage volume filters that allow drivers to redirect file system writes like disk shadowing and drive backup programs do. If you delete the driver file without deleting the filter value, you will get a 7b bluescreen after reboot.

They are stored here:

There are lower filters too:

(Shadow Defender has a lower filter called diskpt)

I just had my first problem with Shadow Defender. After running a misconfigured portable app that deleted some files, I rebooted out of SD and discovered, to my horror, chkdsk recovering hundreds of files on startup. I think the problem was only with the files in the directory that was deleted and I managed to replace them successfully so I think the issue doesn't go beyond that. It did shake my confidence in the program, however.

Someone on the SD forum raised the issue of whether a incompatibility with the TRIM feature of the MSAHCI driver might be a problem with corrupted files. I am using a SSD with the W7 MSAHCI driver so this could be a factor.

19. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Hello bellgamin,

You can use a defragger's graphic to look at the C drive - don't actually defrag - and you'll see that Returnil for instance duplicates the contents of the C drive, in my case the OS only. Or do a drive properties - the size is doubled.

To GregS,

Since only the duplicate (virtual) contents of the drive are accessed, there isn't any extra wear and tear.

The skill level needed for Returnil is simply not as high you fear :)

If you have not done so, look thru the Returnil section here at Wilders.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  20. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

It is possible and already being done in RVS Lite 2011. This is only for non-system disks and we are working to provide this for the System to realize full solid state drive support. In RVS Lite 2011 you can create and maintain the virtualization cache for non-system disks/partitions on a separate disk.

Mike

21. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

Hey bellgamin, why don't you just use VirtualBox for all your online activities and you can free yourself from all the software madness... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.