What would you use?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Hugger, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

My wife just bought a netbook that she plans to use while sitting in court waiting for her case to be called. Apparently she'll be one of many doing it.
    I'm looking for suggestions on what to use to give her good protection while not choking the machine.
    Thanks.
    Hugger

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Is your wife a novice user?

I suggest setting her up with a secure browser and using extensions to further secure it ie: If Chrome, then adblock, if Firefox, then adblock and noscript.

3. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Not a novice user but her real name is 'Mrs. Click'. If it's there she'll click on it.
    All kidding aside, she works for the state child protection department and has to have something that is not distracting yet safe.
    I was thinking of either WSA or Panda Cloud in conjunction with Sandboxie.
    How does that sound?
    Hugger

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

sandboxie and hitman pro:thumb: :thumb:

5. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

I think Panda Cloud is the better option for her. ;) The URL Filter provides good protection against phishing and malware sites. :thumb:

For a companion AV, I recommend KPD if you are looking for an Immunet alternative.

I am running both in realtime on my netbook. Still light! :argh: :thumb:

6. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I have Sandboxie and Spyshelter free on my gateway netbook runs light as it can be,or perhaps MSE runs light and is a decent free alternative if she wants a Anti Virus.I can only suggest give here some options of your experinces and let her decide.A happyt camper wifie is always a very good thing.:D

7. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

:thumbd: Unless she ugrades to 2GB, I wouldn't recommend running MSE. It feels like the opposite of light. :(

8. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Eset NOD32 Antivirus + VPN + DefenseWall Personal Firewall

If still heavy and no money, I mean want free alternatives:

Just replace DefenseWall PF with System Protect while retaining NOD32 and free VPN. :cool:

Browser Firefox w/ Adblock Plus and WOT and Memory Fox

http://system-protect.com/

As simple as that. ;)

9. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

sg09 said System Protect wasn't compatible with 7, and the netbook will most likely include Windows 7 Starter.

10. stackz

stackz Registered Member

Image the drive and let her go click happy ;)

11. Dark Shadow

Well its running on my kids Acer aspire one netbook with single core atom and 1 gig ram and it turnings web pages fairly fast and hardly notice MSE is on.1 gig of ram means nothing in terms of how it will run to each machine.In fact increasing ram in my experience to another gig of ram will not make a huge difference but it will make some difference running multiple application and its cheap enough to do.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  12. Dark Shadow

Agree and good point.

13. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

(I wish I had an Acer...) :D The hardware is probably different from my Toshiba, which I should have taken into consideration.

I don't think I said that. :gack:

14. Dark Shadow

Actually No you dont I dont know if its a fluke but the right shift key stopped working and the screen brightness does not remember settings after reboots keeps going down to darkest setting,frigin annoying as heck and its less then a yr old.
    still under warranty but to lazy to send it in for repairs.

From what I have read the toshiba seems to be better cutomer satifaction,good reviews.

I just picked up a white netbook by gateway for my self which from what I understand was bought by acer but the build quaility is far better then my kids acer and it has two core atoms so far its a little gem.

15. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

I installed System Protect 10 minutes ago and it works flawlessly.Acer Aspire laptop Win 7 Ultimate x32.

16. Dark Shadow

So it is windows 7 compatiable?

17. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I have a Win 7 Starter netbook. I run Sandboxie, Avast and Windows Firewall. Runs fine...

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Install Panda Cloud and turn the windows firewall on. Your wife doesn't sound like someone who wants to deal with a complicated setup.

19. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

:thumb: :thumb:

20. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

YES it is.

21. ziaul

ziaul Registered Member

Hi Hugger,
    Use NIS or Panda cloud realtime along with Sandboxie, just keep it simple.:)

I am using NIS and Sandboxie paid version on my father's Acer Netbook

Cheers!
    Ziaul

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  22. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Sandboxie (Paid)(with DropRights, Start/Run Restrictions, Internet Access Restrictions and Automatically delete sandbox contents) and NortonDNS. Add an Antivirus of your choice and maybe Malwarebytes AntiMalware (on-demand).

I would also install and use Firefox with Adblock Plus (add EasyList and EasyPrivacy Adblock Plus subscriptions). Using Adblock Plus should get rid of some of the advertisements which may be tempting to click on.

23. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Whatever you decide I would definitely include Sandboxie into the mix. :)

24. Cloud

Cloud Registered Member

What about Bufferzone Pro? Or does Sandboxie feel lighter?

25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

First get a decent netbook, my bro has a "Dual Core" Atom 330 and it's extremely SLOW.
    I got my dad a netbook with an AMD E350 and guess what, it's light years ahead of that Atom 330 (Although the 330 is already a bit old i've researched enough and up to now the new dual cores after the 330 are pretty much the same, they are useless :D)

But based in my experience Atom 330 are like in the Pentium 4 era, lots of OOMPH for ghz but crappy performance. Get her an AMD APU :thumb:

(BTW that was not a biased opinion because i always side with Intel when speaking of desktop processors but this time with their netbook offerings the failed to fulfill my expectations)
    On a side note my bro is running the OS with lots of bloatware pre installed (Asus Netbook) he tried to uninstall as much as possible but it's still slow (Just mentioned it because it might be because it's bloated?) and my dad is running with all bloatware on an Acer without anyone uninstalling anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.