What would you suggest

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by AnthonyG, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

Last night after a scan with Panda online scan it found a bunch of exploit/byte varifies (four) and two trojan horses.

This even though i did a scan two days before with both Mcafee enterprise and ewido (ewido was fully up to date with lastest definitions!) and they both found nothing.

This has got me very worried.

So can i ask what would you suggest i do. I have a few options

1. Switch to Kaspersky (rather expensive and slowed my system down the last time i used it)
    2. Get Trojan Hunter Or Boclean and have them on active scan. (can i ask to both have exploit/byte varify in their databases.
    3. Try a trial of F Secure. (Never tried this but is suppoesed to be worse that Kaspersky for slowing machines down)
    4. Something better i havent thought about?

Which would you suggest i do.

Thanks
    Anthony

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Practice safe hex?

This stuff must come from someplce through one of your applications. Check what you're running and switch if possible.

Check if Candle's tools are usefull.

3. NRM

NRM Guest

Just scan with McAfee enterprise once again... This one is so much more trustable then Panda... Don't let Panda online confuse you!!!

4. AnthonyG

I go to alot of MP3 Sites and Adult websites and they pop up all the time alongside other nasty stuff in my mcafee virusscan enterprise. It must have let these past.

So really i cant fully practice completely safe browsing so i need something to work with me while i go to the risky sites that i do.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You may want to take a look HERE. As well there are discussions HERE and even more HERE.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

Cheers :D

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I guess I'd probably side with NRM here. In all reasonable challenge tests that I follow, McAfee and KAV run head-to-head. A bit of code here and there doesn't necessarily mean problems, it could be some residual parts left behind.

Because of you surfing habits, I'd probably add BOClean, especially if you're not using the full version of Ewido. If you are using the full version of Ewido and have it's realtime monitoring element enabled, I'm unsure whether BOClean is pure duplication or not - I don't have a good enough feel for this comparison. If you're not already using Firefox, I'd probably switch to that.

Blue

7. AnthonyG

Thanks blackspear but those links you gave just had posts saying to use either Nod32, TDS or Ewido.

As far as i am aware nod is not good at trojans and similar scumware so that is not a viable option to me. And Ewido like i say has not found three trojans and 4 exploit byte verifies when i scanned two days ago. All the trojans it didnt find were in Zip files if that means anything (am guessing it cant scan them?).

So i dont think ewido is best for me no more.

I tried TDS but i couldnt understand it at all. I didnt know how to do anything with it. So if you suggest to try that again does anyone have some easy to follow instructions on how to work it and how to set it up for on access scanning.

Thanks for your help, but i am still not sure if i should either switch to kaspersky or get trojan hunter to use alongside mcafee my two main choices.

Can someone advise
    Anthony

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, if you switch to KAV, McAfee will probably get the boot from your machine. If these are in zip's - BOClean won't help there, the current version is a realtime monitor/mamory scanner now - that is it's strength - it is complementary to other options.

Try the various options out there. Make sure that the items being flagged are real issues and see how the trial programs behave.

Blue

9. AnthonyG

Thanks blue, yes i use firefox. But i do not have the active scan element of ewido i just have the free version. But i am still able to update the definitions for use in on demand system scans.

At the websites i go to i rarely see viruses popup in my mcafee it is always trojans/exploits and diallers. I chose Ewido as it apparently covered them all but it obviously doesnt.

So i would like something that can run on active scan and that can scan zip files too for both trojans and all variations of exploits (are these just trojans with fancy names or are they something else?).

Someone said Boclean cant scan zip files so that too doesnt seem like a viable option to me.

Thanks

10. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

Keep McAfee as resident (double check your settings) and get a copy of Escan Free (Kaspersky engine) and run that every other day. Search the forum for escan 4.47.
    Escan \ Mcafee and Ewido is a v.good combination.

Using Crap Cleaner is also a good idea to keep Firefox cache empty.

11. AnthonyG

Thanks but does anyone know of any links with it in as i searched the forum and this is the only topic with escan 4.47 mentioned

Thanks

12. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

13. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

14. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

15. meneer

meneer Registered Member

And their linuxdefender bootable live cdrom if all fails.

16. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

lol... sorry but if you don't want to pay for the full version which is able to scan inside archives, please don't complain that the ewido security suite didn't find these nasties inside zip-files!

17. AnthonyG

Thanks, I would buy it if they offered student discounts but $35 is a bit expensive IMO and more than i can afford at the moment (saying that when im £750 overdrawn).

18. Firecat

Why dont you try A-Squared Trojan Scanner...http://www.emsisoft.com

And yes they have a free version and also they offer student discounts. You might try first before you buy.

19. AnthonyG

Do you have a link to the page offering this as depending on the discount i will certainly buy it. (Am hoping its retail will come down to $20).

Thanks

20. Firecat

Here:

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/order/edu/

Educational price is USD 20.97 (a little bit more than what you wanted)

Point to note:

50% discount on the following year's full version licence when it becomes due (20% discount on educational licenses).

21. Firecat

But if you live in European Union you'll have to pay USD 25.16 :(

22. AnthonyG

Sorry i thought you meant ewido offered student discounts. I have tried a2 free in the past and did not like it at all.

Thanks though

23. Firecat

24. peter.ewido

peter.ewido former ewido team

ewido is also going to offer one soon ;)

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The sites that you visit and the fact that you are on a student network means that even KAV by itself would not fully protect you all the time.

Stay with McAfee 8.0i and supplement with a running commercial AT Guard ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.