What Would Replace Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Joxx, May 16, 2019.

1. guest

guest Guest

+1

That is my main complain about Sandboxie, but it is by design so nothing much the actual devs can do about it, unless they make a new version from scratch which defeats the purpose of its acquisition.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have win 10 in a vm machine with the latest Sandboxie installed. Just did win updates and SBIE didn't interfere at all. Then updated my fireffox (which I always do outside of SBIE and it was also fine.

3. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

Since I only want security updates and no "feature updates or any beta testing stuff" I can't remember the last windows problem I had with sandboxie.

4. Rinel

Rinel Registered Member

With Windows 7 nearing it's end of life in a few months we will be forced to upgrade to Windows 10. I believe Microsoft forces you to update to the bigger updates after 18 months or so.

Also you would want to update your web browser as often as you can. I had problems with new versions of both Firefox and Chrome. However Sandboxies devs have always fixed that in either new beta versions or new releases of Sandboxie.

5. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

@Rinel Thanks for the kind warning. Im on windows 10 1809 atm. As long as the security updates are up to date I don't care about new windows "feature" stuff. By the time they force me to a new big upgrade it will be stable for sure :D Browsers are of course updated and if one breaks from sandboxie I choose another till it's fixed.

6. Rinel

Rinel Registered Member

That's the problem. If they stop supporting Sandboxing by the end of the year there will be no fixes to make it work in newer versions of Windows or for newer web browsers.

You will have a very hard time installing a 4 year old Sandboxie version today and get it to work with all your up to date software. Same will happen to the Sandboxie version we are now on.

7. Peter2150

Why are we wasting all this energy on what if's. Lets see what happens.

8. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I've gone with ReHIPS, again. Tried it once, couldn't figure it out, removed it, and am trying it again. This time, I spent a while reading about it here and there, and have figured out enough to make the programs I need work, while not reducing protection. It only took me 5 months to get to this point.

9. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Because many here are crisis oriented. :)
    Remember all the trepidation & great gnashing of teeth in the first few hundred posts (of the >5,000 posts) in the "Sandboxie acquired by Invincea" thread?

10. Peter2150

Yep and it proved a total waste

11. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Nothing wrong with having a backup plan in case something does happen with sandboxie.

12. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Software comes and goes. I don't get the concern. If Sophos drops it, Sandboxie won't suddenly fail to protect and immediately open your computer to every malware on the Internet. It can do the job for a year, two or three. Plenty of time to try new things and find a replacement.

13. Rinel

Rinel Registered Member

Sophos will most likely shut down servers for activation, so everyone's copy will stop working after 180 days or less.

14. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

LOL you're right.

15. Peter2150

I don't think Sophos is that stupid, it would be such a pr fiasco. No I'd bet if the want to shut it down they would release a version that requires the license, but no more activation.

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Lot of truth in this.

17. guest

guest Guest

They bought the code for enterprise deployment , not the niche home user market than bring very little incomes and waste of resources with support.

18. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

"Trust No Program" - Of course this motto also applies to Sandboxie itself - and its further existence. :D

So to my mind it is wise to think, to inform and to discuss about possible alternatives. Better sooner than later, as all these security programs require some knowledge and familiarity before you can use them in a reliable way.

19. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm afraid that there is no alternative at the moment. There isn't any app that provides virtualization like Sandboxie does. ReHIPS is way too complex, and Shade is not good enough.

I'm guessing they will release a final freeware version if they decide to stop development.

20. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Get on the ReHIPS forum and ask anything you want. It's a friendly forum.
    They will help you get past the learning curve, which you apparently already did, but if you have any other questions or issues...

21. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Slightly off topic, but I need a little help. I have a SBIE Lifetime License. However, I'm using an older version (v5.22) on my XP box. Because I haven't done anything with it in awhile, it has reverted to the free version, and I can't seem to find where I go to re-input my Product Key. Can anyone help??

22. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

@TomAZ Um, does free version have: Help > Register Sandboxie > OK > enter the Product Key
    5109.png | 5110.png | 5108.png

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  23. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

@TomAZ

Sandboxie 5.22 is the last version that will work on XP.

IIRC it will revert back to the free version if not activated
    in time. (180 days)

You can also try offline activation if Register Sandboxie
    doesn't work.

https://www.sandboxie.com/OfflineActivation

Follow instructions and enter info here:

https://www.sandboxie.com/license/activate-offline.php

XP Users need to perform the following steps to avoid their computers
    to constantly use your network to access sandboxie.com

Click Help --> Check for Updates

Choose "Next week"

Do not choose "Never".

NOTE: Might be better to post in "Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea"

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  24. Beyonder

Beyonder Registered Member

I mean, Windows 10 October Update 2019 will probably break it. Most OS updates tend to break it, in one way or another.

25. guest

guest Guest

+1, Sandboxie's mechanism needs constant maintenance by the devs.

If the incomes generated by Sbie doesn't exceed the development costs, it will probably be abandoned, like Online Armor and others. That is simple business logic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.