What would happen if you have Comodo Sandbox and Sandboxie enabled?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by cheater87, Jul 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have been wondering this for a few days. Will this be more secure or less secure due to a conflict?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

As in attempt to run same prog in Sandboxie which itself would be running in Comodo or ...? There can only be issues and no advantage in such approach

3. cheater87

If you have a browser sandboxied with sandboxie and have Comodo's Sandbox enabled at the same time. I'm not gong to do it I just was wondering what would happen.

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

As long as you don't run the same programs within both, there won't be any conflicts.

5. What needs to be understood that, Sandboxie is an on-demand sandbox. Comodo is an automatic sandbox. So yes likely could be issues if you use sandboxie to sandbox an unknown file, and then Comodo tries to sandbox etc.

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Same rules applies folks. Move than one causes problems. I can't imagine it would be a good thing running two sandboxes.

7. arran

arran Registered Member

A bad security approach if you have Comodo Sandbox and Sandboxie containing the same app.

This is like the bad security approach which some people have here like having a defensewall and Sandboxie combo, you can't have defensewall and sandboxie containing the same app either.

8. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

I know some are using this combo with no problems at all.

9. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

DefenseWall and Sandboxie work well together. I've been using them together for several months. Sandboxie protects your system while application is in the box, when you move something out of the box, DW takes over protection. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

10. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I've been using them together also no problems indeed.

11. guest

guest Guest

Is it usefull? What is advantage?

12. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I don't know anything about Comodo, how it works, but if you run one true sandbox inside of another my guess is that you would be ok, as long as you are only asking one sandbox to directly protect that program. In other words, open your browser inside of a sandbox, then open that entire sandbox inside of another; your browser would automatically be protected by two sandboxes even though you only directly asked one to protect it.

I do something similar with the virtual machine, Virtual Box. I open up Virtual Box inside of Sandboxie, then open another Operating System inside Virtual Box and use its browser for surfing. When I'm finished, I dissolve the VM without saving that session, then dissolve the sandbox: double protection and it all works quite smoothly.

Acadia

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  14. cheater87

So it would be ok to have Firefox sandboxed with Sandboxie and have that protected by Comodo sandbox?

15. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Comodo's sandbox i believe is mainly for programs that are unknown. It places them in a "sandbox" for eval. I don't think it would place firefox in a sandbox. Unless you put it in there. So i would think that you could run both and not have a problem. Unless josh or franklin/sully could give a better suggestion.

16. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Can someone tell me, is Comodo sandbox anything to do with the firewall. I am thinking of updating Comodo firewall to version 4, and while i think the sandbox is a good idea, I use Sandboxie, and i do not want another sandbox application. If i just download the firewall, will i avoid the Comodo sandbox. Cheers :)

17. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Although it is an integral part of the Comodo software, you can keep it disabled and it will not interfere.

18. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Thats good news. Thanks for the mega fast reply :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.