What would by your "IDEAL" computer?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by adrenaline7, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 Registered Member

In a perfect world what would you have?

I would want:
    • 22" high resolution
    • touch screen or mousepad or keyboard or mouse
    • hdmi out to connect to tv
    • fastest wifi
    • sound card with all the hookups to connect to anything (external soundcardo_O)
    • good OS and programs can use any program (browser, pdf, media player, burning, etc)
    • quad core with ssd hd

2. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

My response may seem odd but i would go back in time and gladly use the commodore amiga 500 again.This computer for me was perfect .Just my opinion though.:D :D

3. Noob

Noob Registered Member

The best of the best.

4. adrenaline7

adrenaline7 Registered Member

I forgot to mention, I meant it as a 22" tablet basically that you can connect a mouse/keyboard to, run anything, etc. Would be very versatile, I like using computer from couch not a desk, having a 22" high res touch screen tablet on the couch....I don't know if I would ever leave the house lol

5. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

I already have my ideal desktop but for a laptop I would love one with dual 1920X1200 displays and 4 mSATA-600 ports.

This would make for one hell of a mobile workstation.

6. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I am typing on it right now. :)

7. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

It would be a personal computing device, powered by body heat. A bazillion cores, mega bazillion GB of ram, an zillion bazillions of storage. It would have telepathy interface to my brain so no need for even touch or a screen or soundcard or GPU

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i just entirely upgraded my desktop computer from a 5-6 years old duo-core to a i3 machine.

so this is my 'ideal' machine and it should serve me right for the next few years.

9. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Yes they were good times back then. I remember around the time I got my Amiga in late 1990 a guy at the local Amiga dealer speculating that the PC would only be around for a few more years.

Sadly the Amiga died, and the PC is going stronger than ever.

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

After giving this a little bit of thought, I came to the conclusion that I really can't think of an ideal computer. The Thinkpad which I'm using right now is 4 and a half years old, but despite the age is more than fast enough for anything I need to use it for (and runs Windows 8 well - I just haven't got round to transferring all my data from my Windows 7 partition to my Windows 8 one). I can say the same too about my oldest laptop which is 6 and a half years old.

If anything, I guess I could say that a very large SSD (greater than 500gb), and a glossy screen would be nice. But, I can live without them, and to be honest I never find myself thinking that my hard drive is too slow.

11. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Ideal computer these days for me would be a convertible that maintained/improved the design, size, weight, autonomy and features of the best Lenovo Yoga 13, but with a really good DX 11.1 dedicated graphics card, 3D Full HD tech in the touchscreen, built-in 3G/4G connectivity and maybe a Blu-Ray/DVD/CD writer.

IDK if that's possible.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

27 or 30" iMac with 4K Resolution and fantastic hardware inside of course :D

13. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

My ideal would just be a desktop that doesn't try to be portable, with a UI suited for it.

I guess my ideal is more of a "system" with the desktop as the main station, plus a netbook and tablet for mobile use. The netbook is for a full PC experience, miniaturized for on the go, while the tablet is mostly a glorified e-reader for when I just want to do simple things like browse the web (but little to no typing) and watch videos on the go.

14. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Ideal desktop:

Silverstone TJ08B-E
    ASUS Maximus V Gene
    Intel Core i7-3770K
    Toshiba 3TB hard drive
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680

Small yet powerful.

Ideal laptop:

Dell Latitude 6430u w/ Full HD display (Unfortunately, the laptop only has a 1366x768 display and there's no upgrade). Alternatively, I would get the Dell XPS 13 which includes full HD and does exist.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  15. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

I absolutely agree with you.I was using a commodore 16 and then when the amiga came along it was an almighty jump in technology and the home user now had a computer that had an astounding graphics and sound capability.It was a formidible machine and i would gladly own one again just for a nostalgic trip down memory lane.:D

16. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

17. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Its impressive but dual socket systems cripple CPU clock speed (you cannot overclock). If you really want a killer gaming system your cant beat a K version Intel CPU. With solid cooling 4.8-5.0 ghz is totally doable. Gaming is also not designed for dual socket systems, some games will simply crash.

He more or less glued a gaming system to a workstation which always forces compromises.

If he had gone with the i7-2600K and OCed it to 4.8 (easy on his cooling) he could have saved more than $1000 between MOBO and those server CPUs AND had a much faster gaming system but photoshop and other apps that love threads would be slower.

If he had gone with a high end 4 gig raid card and a huge SSD array he could have had much larger and faster storage (something photo and video editing absolutely love) BUT FPS in gaming would be completely unchanged so a lot of the time this upgrade would be pointless.

18. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Maybe money was not an issue, who knows. :D

19. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Something like this:
    -MoBo: ASUS P8Z77-V Pro
    -CPU: Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570K with changed TIM
    -CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE with 2x Thermalright TY-140 fans
    -RAM: 2x8GB Mushkin Redline 1866MHz DDR3 997070
    -GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 670 2GB GTX670-DC2-2GD5
    -SSD/HDD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, Western Digital Caviar Red WD30EFRX 3TB
    -PSU: Seasonic SS-660XP2 660W Platinum
    -Case: Corsair Obsidian 550D
    -Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2713HM
    -KBRD/Mouse: Cooler Master Storm QuickFire TK Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G400
    -Sound: ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Marantz PM6004, KEF Q300, Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium 250 Ohm with AntLion ModMic

Modest, yet ideal... One day... :p

20. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

My ideal computer would one with intelligent configurable hardware capable of modifying itself with the latest upgrades in improved technology both software and hardware (as directed) while maintaining a user interface for its owner that is based on patterns of usage that can also evolve over time - all at a reasonable cost, of course.

Yeah, that will never happen, but it's fun to dream about - all because I want a quantum computer in my lifetime that has inherent multicore processing and virtual capability all wrapped up with clean interfaces to do my every bidding!

Oh, and did I mention - no downtime! That means never a power out.

Ah, the future - if you can't find it now - just invent it. That's the ticket!

-- Tom :)

21. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Maybe in the future, internet speeds will be so fast, we could all just have dumb terminals. Have your phones, tablets, or laptops connect to a powerful workstation at home or elsewhere. The only thing changing between devices would be the form factor and perhaps the GUI.

22. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Something nuclear powered might be awesome :D

23. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What I own. Failing that:
    A device that can run forever without breaking.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.