What would be your choice for your wife?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Subgud, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Comodo - Noob (in this case your wife) - are you out of your mind?

DefenseWall is a policy HIPS, downloaded malware can do no harm (chained in a sort of strngthend limited user environment)

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes but it slows down browsing,when d+ turn off is fast as a demon:D

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

by default it is easy on you:thumb: you lower the alert slider down to low it is ok:thumb: d+ clean pc mode and booya:D or turn it off even better:thumb: but the firewall in safe mode is ok:thumb:

4. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

Avast Home
    SAS Pro
    Keyscrambler Free
    DropMyRights
    Windows firewall
    DEP enabled for all programs
    Firefox / WOT

Sandboxie was not popular with her.

5. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

A solid beating works best as she dare not let another malware trough :ouch:

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

or quarentine her in the room for 40 days:Disolated without going out or see her friends

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I like the way you think :argh:

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

:thumb: lol:thumb:i better be quiet,cause i will be the one quarentine or delete

9. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

He he. Beating up and isolation! I have never thought of that! A good idea!:D :thumb:

I have installed Avira Antivir Premium, Outpost FW PRO 2009 and Defensewall 2.45(trial). It looks like this is a very good combination! So far no pop ups that she cant handle and security is actually very good if you look at every single products as standalone`s.

I really like defensewall. Only tried it for 30min but it looks very nice and easy. I tried comodo firewall test with these settings and scored 300/320:

If this works for the next couple of days i think i will keep it!

Attached Files:

10. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

DefenseWall and Prevx Edge.

One thing to note with DefenseWall: If she is using Internet Explorer and browses a page which requires ActiveX control, I need to do this for her. Basically right clicking the IE icon and choosing 'Run as trusted'. After ActiveX is installed. I close IE and let her open it which by default will open as Untrusted. You need to be careful with what kind of ActiveX it is trying to install. She has no clue, but I do know if it's legit or not.

11. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

It's a sandbox HIPS program. Annoying popups are not included.

12. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

In fact, you can install ActiveX with your browser untrusted, without security been compromised. In case any trusted program call it, it will be turned to untrusted.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I second the motion for Returnil. It Grandchild proofed my computer, and has helped my Daughter when her girls are on line accumulating cookies and malware on the Disney channel. :D

14. Kees1958

That is why may MOM of 75 is able to use it:
    - for everything - never mind
    - for programs to be installed: richt click set to trusted, then install

C'est simple comme ca!/easy piecey

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Where do you plan on eating dinner? Do you do your own laundry? Iron your own clothes?
    Try acting stupid and unable to fix the problems on the computer. She will try to work it out soon enough because she thinks you're too stupid to figure it out. If she can program a microwave and a stove digital display, she can eventually navigate the computer. Playing dumb has been working for her right? ;)

16. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

My Wife's PC (99+% of the time she watches Internet TV at the same website. I am forced to leave Internet Explorer as the default web browser because I cannot get the Internet TV to play with Firefox. She opens her Internet TV website with a shortcut on the desktop.):

NOD32 3.x
    Windows XP SP3 Firewall
    Sandboxie 3.32 (All Browsers "Forced" to Sandbox, Delete Sandbox on web browser closure, allow only web browsers and windows media player to run in Sandbox.)
    Microsoft WindowsDefender
    SpywareBlaster
    LinkScanner Pro (May dump when subscription expires.)
    McAfee SiteAdvisor Free
    Spybot S&D (For Immunization Only)
    NAT Wireless Router with SPI (All PC's wired. Wireless function is turned off.)

On Demand:
    SAS Free
    a2free
    May add MBAM in future.

Image for Windows/DOS (Images to both file on separate hard drives and bootable DVD's)
    (Hard drive partitioned and only Windows XP OS and Programs kept on C: partition.)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  17. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

How do you think that the following setups would work? I have not tried these combinations (I have no experience with PCTool's products.).

Possible Setup #1:
    PCTools Internet Security 2009
    Sandboxie 3.32 (All Browsers "Forced" to Sandbox, Delete Sandbox on web browser closure, allow only web browsers and windows media player to run in Sandbox.)
    SpywareBlaster
    NAT Router with SPI (All PC's wired.)

On Demand:
    SAS Free
    MBAM

Possible Setup #2:
    PCTools Spyware Doctor with Antivirus
    DefenseWall HIPS
    SpywareBlaster
    NAT Router with SPI (All PC's wired.)

On Demand:
    SAS Free
    MBAM

How would you modify the above choices for a better setup?

Thank you.

Image for Windows/DOS (Images to both file on separate hard drives and bootable DVD's)
    (Hard drive partitioned and only Windows XP OS and Programs kept on C: partition.)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Just 2 points. PC tools has been bought out by Symantec, so how long is it going to be around? And as for SAS and MBAM, I have SAS running real time, and MBAM on demand.

19. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

I'm sorry but I'd prefere not to use PC tools av/as since it often makes false positives and may remove clean files.

I think that instead of paying for that you could use Avira or Avast Free (in both cases SAS and MBAM should take care of all the spyware, and you can set Avira or Avast free to automatically remove what they find).

20. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

And here we go again:D

I couldnt hold my hand of testing other programs, so now i am close to divorce!:D

I have installed comodo firewall and maumtu alongside Avira Antivir Premium 8.2
    and i am very pleased! After several pop ups from comodo and then finding the alert setting slider there it seem to be quiet. I score max at comodo firewall challenge as well. (with paranoid status and custom policy)

After the first run af the test i turn back to clean mode and then its ok. And the good thing, my wife thinks its ok.(at least for the last 3min):D

Maybe i should think about a laptop for here?

21. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

That is the only way for true marital bliss !! I vouch for that ....:thumb:

22. andb

andb Registered Member

i made my wife use ubuntu :D

23. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

When you first install Comodo with Clean PC mode and configure it, it doesn't generate many pop ups. But it will, as soon as your wife will want to install new things. If she doesn't install, then it's ok. Also let her know about the existance of "false positives", so that she won't delete anything crucial because of Mamutu or Antivir.

In any case, if she does find some trouble, IMHO, the best way is to go with an easy firewall (like ZAF), an AV and Defensewall or Sandboxie. With such such a setup she shouldn't see a pop up other than from Antivir, no matter what she installs or does and Defensewall and Sandboxie, once configured correctly are pretty much dumb-proof. While if your wife surfs to an infected site or tries to run something infected, she may be fooled by Comodo's pop ups and click "yes", just because she *thinks* that it isn't a malware. While if it is a malware delivered through the browser, Sandboxie will simply flush it on close and Defensewall will make it harmless, blocking it from doing anything to the system. And if it is a malware she downloaded herself and clicks on it, Sandboxie won't help (unless she selects "run sandboxed"), while Defensewall will block it from doing something harmfull to the system. Sandboxie is more "dumb-proof" than Defensewall, but the latter has the advantage , that gives you hints that what you tried to run was actually malware (because in the event log, all the actions blocked will appear and you can inspect them).

Ideally, i would put a simple firewall, Avira, Defensewall AND Sanboxie. I think they last 2 can run together. It would be pratically impossible for her to get infected and no pop ups no matter what happens.

24. Kees1958

As said ThreatFire free with DefenseWall or
    Avira Free and Spyware Terminator free (without HIPS) and DefenseWall

I think the poster has got the security program virus, so easy answers will not do, he needs to try and tune :D

25. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

Hi kees,

Can explain what's the difference when running IE under each software e.g. DefenseWall, Returnil and EdgeGuard Solo?

I have asked my wife to turn on Returnil when viewing internet movies etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.