What version should Avira free be?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ratchet, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I installed it today and it has been updated to v8.1.00.295, but yesterday freewarefiles.com listed a v8.1.0.326. Also, on this notebook, which I'm running all freeware progs as an experiment, I also have Windows Defender (default in Vista) and ThreatFire. Given the lack of anti-spyware capabilities inherent in Avira, are these two apps sufficient? I surf safe but my wife probably can't tell the difference between a fish and a phis! Thank You!

2. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

Thats a very good free setup :thumb: I would definatly feel safe with it (Im using the same when helping people who wants a free setup with low resource and cpu impact and. Im just replacing avira with Avast! because I like it more but i do have great trust in avira too) :)

You could alternativly combine with Opera 9.5 for browsing :cool:

My thoughts :)

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Avira had quite a big update yesterday boosted performance by about 20% in scanning and made most the program respond like you had nothing on your computer at all. you may want to revisit it.

4. ratchet

download.com had the 295 version, softpedia had the3261 I reinstalled from softpedia.

5. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

The version that you listed in the first post is what I have.That's after the large update.

6. ratchet

Then you need to install from the softpedia site. A moderator on Avira's forum said some of the mirror sites don't have the correct version (.326) as happened to me and to download from Avira's site but near as I could tell it only sens you to the mirrors from there. Anyway, get it here!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.