What to use?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Capp, Oct 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Hey Guys/Gals,
    I've used ZoneAlarm (free) in the past and it seemed to work ok. I did run into an annoyance with an older version so I stopped using it.
    I know of Outpost, Kerio, and Sygate. I've played with them in the past, but really only to get a feel for them so I could support them if my clients were using them.

I am wanting to get some opinions from people that have been using them ( or know of any other good free ones) for awhile and know of their querks and ease of use.

I like how ZoneAlarm asks you to help train it by asking to allow or deny for basically everything.

I am looking for a freebie here because I also use a Hardware firewall and I want something that doesn't require a dozen processes running at all times and consuming vast amounts of resources.

Also, should I just wait for the Eset firewall to arrive. Being a reseller, I'm already stoked about it, but want to be protected until it arrives?

I appreciate the feedback :)

Thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

sygate would be the most similar to zonealarm. it prompt for each application and lets u allow or deny it internet access.

kerio is a rules-based firewall but it does have application control.

outpost is one of two firewalls i know that uses rule presets. it has several rule templates (like "browser" or "ftp client") as well as rules for many common processes (like Firefox or svchost).

when it prompts for an application, it also lets u allow or block all access for it (like za and sygate).

if u want a freebie, u can try the now discontinued sygate or u may also look at comodo.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Wait for Eset.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

The ultimate pair is Comodo firewall and Eset NOD32 AV. As a former ZA subscriber I can tell you that Comodo configured to Automatic is easier , more stable and easier on the system than ZA. :D

5. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

CPF and NOD32 are a great pairing. I think that I'm becoming a CPF fanboy! :D

6. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Nothing wrong with that. I used it for a while just to check it out. I thought it was mighty fine. :thumb:

7. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

Comodo is very good or you could try Kerio 2.1.5 in combo with System Safety Monitor HIPS.

I'm now using the paid version of SSM and when combined with Kerio the two consume about 20 MB RAM. You could also use the free version of SSM. The protection it offers is a little weaker than the full version, but It consumes a little less memory.

Comodo runs two processes (about 25 MB), while Kerio and SSM run one each.

8. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I am running kerio 2.1.5 with PG free. The combination works really well, but I have been considering of trying how SSM free feels. To get the added protection missing in PG free.
    Does SSM free offer protection against program termination by malware etc 3rd party like processguard does? Most importantly against firewall termination since I have no router.

9. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

SSM should warn first of any attempt by malware to launch in the first place, allowing the user to deny it from even getting the chance to terminate your firewall or other security software. I tested SSM a while back attempting to launch a large number of leaktests from gkweb's leaktest page and SSM warned me of every one that attempted to launch, allowing me to deny them all. I was impressed. The important thing as well is can SSM prevent itself from being terminated? I haven't seen enough eveidence yet to know the answer for this, but I feel very confident that the addition of HIPS lends considerable additional security to my machine. BTW, I have never used PG so I can not compare it to SSM.

10. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

thx for your answer cprtech.

It is kind of important that SSM would cover process abrupt termination.
    With PG, I have seen cause of my old PC, maybe some overheating etc., that running without PG, some programs like Google earth are unstable. Only can run it with PG.
    It is a mystery to me why it brings such stability.
    These are all hardware issues, but PG helps.

I am so mad cause I cannot pin point why it happens, 10 minutes with Skype talks, my computer restarts or freezes, same with windows media player videos.
    Display card maybe?

So I would like to try SSM, but first I need to sort out these problems I have.

11. gevin

gevin Registered Member

SSM is too "hard" for me. i prefer Online Armor, more friendly. Or PravX CIPS also a good one. I'm a lazy layman which one a good potection.

12. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Try Comodo.
    Using around 23,000 K with 2 running processes here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.