What to use as a backup AV tool?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Paradutch, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradutch

Paradutch Registered Member

Since most of you guys advised me to use Avast 4.6 over AVG....(which i did and i am happy about that) i have another question:

What do the experts here use as second AV tool?? I mean lets be honest...NO AV tool has a 100% coverage. right?
    Another (free) installed AV software....or at certain times just an AV check up with a website (trend Micro,panda...etc..etc..)Right now i am impressed with Antivir (free version)...it's fast....and doesn't use too much memory. An disadvantage however is the fact that sometimes i have troubles updating Antivir....:-(

Untill recently I used F-prot for windows as a backup AV...but I must say i am kindda turned down by the interface and the fact that in some magazines F-prot didn't got away very well in an comparison AV test.
    The update size of Antivir however seems pretty large:-( So is Bitdefender 8.0 free...

Any feedback from you experts here?? What kind of AV tool do YOU use as a backup?

TIA.

Paradutch.

2. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

There are so many you can choose . Seems money is an issue so , I would use BitDefender free . Does a good job . Good back up . Might be better than Avast . lol . Not sure though . AntiVir is an excellent choice , in my opinion .

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i actually use ewido as backup for its strong trojan detection. ill keep an open mind to other's preferences tho.

4. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I would use BitDefender free and good

or you could use one of the webbased scans F-secure, KAV.

oe may be Doctor Web CureIT is quite handy too

5. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

etrust or bitdefender

6. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

I would recommend either antivir or bitdefender. Antivir has the best detection, heuristically and definition based, of all the free full fledged av's (that is, avs with an on-access scanner). However, Bitdefender free (only an on-demand scanner), is very good at detection and is a worthy backup. Just disable its running processes from the startup because they take up around 20MB of RAM, which is unessesary because it is not being used in real-time.

Alphalutra1

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No expert but I periodically choose at random one of eight online scanners.

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

same. I use kaspersky and bitdefender online

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Do you guys worry about any privacy issues with the online scans? I have never used one, but I wonder if its possible for them to see all your files, good or bad, since they are scanning your HD. Or does it not work like that? I am not sure I would want someone having a list of all my files, and I'm not even trying to hide anything either. Any thoughts on this? Or am I out in left field somewhere getting it all wrong? :)

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I concur BD free.

11. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I don't believe it works like that. Bitdefender for example asks you if you would like to submit a report to them of the findings at the end of the scan and I believe you can find out what kind of info is in it. I guess it comes down to trust really and some have EULA's you can read.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, that sounds good enough. I guess if it were an issue we'd all have heard about it like crazy by now anyway. Thanks Hammer...

13. Paradutch

Paradutch Registered Member

Thanks guys...

I guess I will leave my Antivir and BD on my HD...they are not configured for on-access...so it can't harm with my Avast which is fully loaded when XP starts up.
    I also will try out several online sites..but I know some sites don't delete the nasties they find?!

I never heard of Dr WEB CureIT.....i will google it..and download it. (I assume it is free?)

Some years ago I also used Norton...but that's not an option for me now;-) Too big....slowing down my machine (512 MB Ram-2400 Mhez AMD Sempron) and from what i read on several sites their updates come online much later then most other AV software. Anyway I also lay of Norman Sandbox...it messed up my PC severly some months ago...when i tried it out (the trial):-(

OO you guys...Avast also has skins to download...i just think it's pretty cool.
    I also like that letter "A" that's truning arround when it scans something...
    Because I surf the net usualy with Firefox i think i am pretty safe now...(also behind a router). For emailing I use Pocomail..which i realy like: it's fast,secure and has many options.

in all respect but I also tried NOD.....but the interface wasn't realy a thing I liked. Could this maybe become more userfriendly in the future?

cheers

paraDutch.

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yes v3 of NOD32 is supposed to have a much easier GUI.

15. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

http://download.drweb.com/drweb cureit/

Yep - free

From site

What is Dr.Web CureIt!?
    This is a FREE anti-virus and anti-spyware scanner based on the Dr.Web engine which will help you quickly scan and cure, if necessary, a computer operated by MS Windows 95OSR2/ 98/Me/NT 4.0/2000/XP without installation of the Dr.Web Anti-virus.
    Dr.Web CureIT! automatically detects the language of the OS it is installed to and sets the scanner interface accordingly (if the local language is not supported, English is enabled).

The utility contains the most up-to-date add-ons to the Dr.Web virus bases updated twice an hour.

Dr.Web CureIT! detects and removes
    * Mass-mailing worms * E-mail viruses * Peer-to-peer viruses * Internet worms * File viruses * Trojans * Stealth viruses* Polymorphic viruses * Bodiless viruses * Macro viruses * MS Office viruses * Script viruses * Spyware * Spybots * Password stealers * Paid Dialers * Adware * Riskware* Hacktools * Backdoors * Joke programs * Malicious scripts * Other malware*

16. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

alotof fps in dr.web cure it

17. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Bitdefender free would be my choice for a backup.

18. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

Some questions to ask you:

There seems to be a big confusion and debate with AntiVir versus Avast. Alot reckon that Avast has a better detection rate and alot reckon that Anti Vir has a better detection rate, so really which is the better one. I've heard and read that AntiVir does not seem to update as much as Avast and this is one of its let downs.

I would say the free version of BD would be one of the best On Demand scanners free scanners out there, though it does not support RT scanning. How does one disable it running process from the startup. I thought because this not being a RT scanner, it will not have a running process during startup. To disable the running process from BD free is it done in the prog itself.

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Just use avast! Home for your real-time protection, ewido anti-malware and a good Anti-Spyware as a backup on-demand... ;)

20. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I use nod, OA, and SpySweeper for on demand.

21. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

What FPs? “A lot” sounds like a big number here. I use DrWeb here on my machine and have a large number of files but no FPs from DrWeb. In any case if you encounter any FPs with DrWeb or DrWeb Cure-it, send it to them and they will fix it asap.

tD

22. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

23. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

BitDefender (pay or FREE Edition)

24. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I use F-PROT as a backup, and have a lot of faith in it. It's an excellent AV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.