What the hell is Sysfader.exe ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tempnexus, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mobstert2005

mobstert2005 Guest

go into windows meadia player and then go into open file and go into it and delete it from there.

2. Cynheidre

Cynheidre Registered Member

I seem to remember something about sysfader, IE and browseui.dll somewhere in the recent past.

3. I solved the problem

Hi,there, I got the same SysFader problem couple of weeks ago. I solved my problem by change the display property of it. Google led me here. Now I came back to give my solution to this problem hoping it can cast some light on others' problem.

I recalled that it was the time after I upgraded a microsoft security patch, the problem appears. It seems that the glitch here not related to virus, borland, video card etc. I have tried the proposed solution from the posts above, but in vain.

Ok, here we go. I put a screenshot of the display dialog box settings.

http://storage.msn.com/x1pAdjo0uCo2...bekmDbWQkFYS-bkROkL5NzD9ol-BXLxSHETV75s99Lk1Q

Change Diaplay property setting's tab something like "Web", "using active desktop to display web content", (I am using a non-English version w2k), you have to guess it to get the nuts and bolts together. Although you didn't tick it (blank box) but "current page" is selected below, then you got the problem! Solution is to UNcheck it, you have to tick something like "using active desktop to display web content" to enable the tick option box below FIRST, uncheck it, then uncheck the option box above as in the screenshot.

If other's problem can also be solved, then this should be reported as a system bug to MS. Please reply here so that more people come here can know whether it works or not. For the nitty and gritty, no ideas about that. IMHO, probably it's related to one of the security upgrade somehow loaded the SysFader in error when openning any file windows although it is UNchecked from the display property window.

Cheers and good luck!

tclandtk

4. mikel

mikel Guest

Gentlemen,

I just got rid of the SYSFADER bug by simple "restoring" system from the basic windows function. Take a restoring date which firmly predates the date on which you first encountered SYSFADER memory issues, e.g. one week before that time.

This way you reset system and do not harm latest personal files.

Good luck. I have to leave, going to make back-ups....

Mikel

5. cho

cho Guest

Anyone,

My Microsoft Windows XP Home platform is in a state where any invocation of Windows Explorer results in a fatal error in an error dialog window that appears with the following text:

SysFader: explorer.exe - Application Error
    The instruction at "0x10040065" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be written.

Other symptoms included:

other applications fail
    after failure, the Microsoft Error Reporting interface appears (and I select send), the desktop "freezes" and after a long wait, the task bar, system trays and desktop shortcuts are slowly "redisplayed"
    longer boot times

I've unsuccessfully applied many techniques that I've used in the past or that are commonly posted in related threads, which included:

I applied all the latest operating system and application patches and service packs, which had no impact on the problem.

I ran a virus detection & removal technology with the latest definition files and engine. To be specific, I ran:

McAfee VirusScan Pro 2005 Version 9.0

with the latest definitions and several issues were identified. I tried to delete, quarantine and clean the flagged files with McAfee VirusScan Pro 2005 Version 9.0 and a few were removed but for the majority of the files, it failed on all attempts. It had issues with problematic files as identified and named in the GUI that did not exist when it attempted to "cleanse", e.g. it identified C:\WINDOWS\explorer.scf:jzdeh as one of the problematic files during the scan but when I attempted a delete or quarantine or clean ", no file of that name existed.

I scanned with "spyware" detection and removal tools with the latest definition files and engine. I used:

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware Beta
    Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal Edition 1.05
    Webroot Spy Sweeper 3.5
    PepiMK Software Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.3

and each addressed other less significant issues but did not solve the problem I identified earlier.

I executed the latest:

Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool

that resulted in no change.

I reran all the previously mentioned tools in "Safe Mode", which made no difference.

I've disabled all "Transition Effects", which did not solve my problem.

I looked at some of the descriptions of similar problems listed at sites like:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=24363&page=2

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/win2000/t1020125925

but all the recommendations did not work or the files or configuration settings did not exist in this situation.

I manually removed the explorer.scf. This worked only for explorer.exe issues and only temporarily. It allowed me to invoke Windows Explorer but after several hours of use the problem reappeared.

I manually removed the explorer.scf since I didn't recognize it and it seemed to be "wrapping" the real application. This worked. It allowed me to invoke Windows Explorer but after several hours of use the problem reappeared.

Does anyone have any suggestions short of reformatting and reinstallation?

Thank you in advance for your help.

6. ryn

ryn Guest

A SOLUTION (for me anyway)

I have spent the past 2 days helping a friend with this Sysfader error. Specifically, when they clicked on My Computer, My Documents, My Pictures, Control Panel, or Search the following error appeared:

Sysfader:Explorer.exe
    The instruction at "0x021f0065" reference memory at "0x00000000".
    The memory could not be "written".

I followed most of the suggestions in this post and numerous other posts. Including:
    Windows Updates
    Microsoft Antispyware
    Symantec Antivirus
    SpyBot S&D
    Editing the Display Properties
    Searching for the WinShow virus (not there)

None of these solved the problem. Even when run in Safe Mode.

I managed to get into the AddRemovePrograms (as I could not click on control panel, I went to START - SET PROGRAM ACCESS AND DEFAULTS). There I found several suspicious programs running that were not picked up by the previously mentioned programs. These included:

Home Search Assistant
    Shopping Wizard
    Search Extender

I also noticed that Microsoft Antispyware was going crazy trying to block changes from being made to Internet Explorer's default home pages and other default pages.

This is how I realized that the computer was infected with CoolWebSearch. I proceded to spend forever trying to remove it. I used the reccomendations from this site:
    http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=259
    This did not remove the offending organism.

Also then used the most recent CWshredder.exe found at CNET. This removed the organism. CoolWebSearch (Home Search Assistant, Shopping Wizard, and Search Extender) was gone. Unfortunately, Microsoft Antispyware and Symantec Antivirus no longer functioned properly. I reinstalled them.

VOILA. The SysFader problem was fixed too.

I recognize that this SysFader error may be due to different causes for different people. But in my case, it was fixed by removing the CoolWebSearch infection with CWshredder.

I hope someone finds this helpful.

7. jryan15

jryan15 Guest

i have been clean with cwshredder for a few days now and am still having problems with sysfader. i do have problems with my nvidia drivers during shutdown. i always have to manually end the nvidia program becuase it doesn't respond.

i am going to delete the drivers and see what happens. i will post with any results. thanks.

8. djash

djash Guest

Look guys, I'm having exactly the same problem and my INTERNET explorer is working fine but my EXPLORER.exe isn't working at all.

I looked through so many sites and none of them have worked. Can someone please just tell me what I do to get rid of this problem.

By the way, I think it originated from the Dr Watson bug. I have gotten rid of that but it seems to have left some nasty tracks on my computer.

Can someone please tell me how to stop this virus? No suggestions, I want how to get rid of it properly.

Please help

9. kami

kami Guest

well i have a prb with sYsfader.exe i first noticed it in my task manager applications tab after i tried to load up into a game server and the game froze (not responding status in manager) and it took forever to get the game shut off (had to hit end task repeatedly) finally i went to task manager and notcied sYsfader.exe in my applications tab, the cpu usage was fluctiating from the normal 5 percent to like 35 and an all i had running was a voice chat program (teamspeak) and it seemed odd to me how do i get rid of this without messing up anything useful...

10. ams123

ams123 Registered Member

I have had the problem of not being able open IE after a hybernation or standby, W2K. After going through these forums and having none of the solutions fix my problem I deleted the most recently installed software, itunes, and fixed my problem. Hope this helps someone else.

11. ams123

ams123 Registered Member

Well I was just a little to quick on that one. Seems my problems are still there.

12. chubb

chubb Guest

i had a similar problem with sysfader: explorer.exe error and it seems to be caused by a bho. i can't open folders when i have the problem and i managed to track it down using a combination of spyware and antivirus programs!

13. chubb

chubb Guest

PS... i still get the bho comin back but i'm able to disable it, an annoyance but less so than not opening ANY folders!

and does anyone know what C:\WINDOWS\apifs32.exe is?? it seems to pop up with the bho always!

14. DFP

DFP Guest

I've also encountered this problem -- it is a real pain. I think I have found a temporary fix. I noticed when I opened Tools>>Manage Add-ons in IE that there were some add-ons that were enabled that I had no clue what they were or why they were running. I simply disabled them and now things work fine -- for now anyway. Hope this helps.

DFP

15. slacker

slacker Guest

I have been having the same problems--Sysfader unable to write to memory errors whenever I tried to open My Computer--and here is what I did:

1st attempt - Windows repair - did not work
    2nd attempt - disabled all transition and display effects - did not work
    3rd attempt - VIA patch - did not work
    4th attempt - booted to safe mode and 1. ran CWShredder (removed HomeSearch), 2. Ran Hijack This! (fixed a changed start page), 3. Installed latest nVidia drivers. 4. Rebooted

This worked for me. I also enabled the fade effects again, and the problem did not come back.

Hope that helped,

Dan

16. Loot

Loot Guest

I have the same problem with this virus. I just got rid of it. Here's what I suggest.

1. Try system restore from a week or so before infection. My system restore was not working so this option was unavialable.

2.Download Symantek antivirus(or other virus sw), Microsoft Anitspyware, Lavasoft Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and Hijackthis AND cwshredder.exe.

3. Boot into safe mode.

4. Run Deep system scan in symantek and kill the bad files.

5. Run Full system scan with MS Anti-Spyware and kill the bad files.

6. Run lavasoft ad-aware and kill the bad files.

7. Run Spybot S&D and kill the bad files.

8. Run HiJackThis and delete the BHO entries as well as other start up entries associated with ur version of the virus.

9. Reboot and hope you are Cool Free.

17. TLB

TLB Guest

Your recommendation to disable add-ons worked great. Thru process of elimination I fold one add-on called javaus.dll that was causing the problem where I could not launch "windows explorer". It also solved the problem of an anoying home page that I could not get rid of.

Thanks!

18. SexIsGood4U

SexIsGood4U Registered Member

Hi Guys & Gals,

I really don't wanna throw a spanner in the works as I have read all the post messages and all is correct in their own way and congrats for all who have attempted to solve the matter at hand. But here goes......
    I own and run a new established internet cafe and build all my computers to the same spec so that I unify any issues (in theory it works) (by the way, all new hardware aswell). But when I first set up twenty (20) computers (they are not terminals but independent PC) one (1) PC had this problem on a regular basis (like everyday, but roughly about 20 minutes into boot up). I had nortons but upgraded to another anti-virus software (which now I have removed cos my serve does all the hard work now). But anyhow, it was near impossible to remove Nortons completely so I just wiped the hard drive and re-installed XP (sp2) with all its current updates. Guess what..... the one (1) pc that had the issue runs perfectly fine, BUT the PC next to it and another one have that issue now. So I thought and did re-installed XP (sp2) those two again and again, and they still have the problem, but only when they felel like crashing. Sometimes the PCs are getting heavily used and they run smooth as. When I go to clean and service them, sometimes they just crash (at first I thought the room might be cursed with ghosts cos no other IT friends and associates knew or understood of my problem) till I came across this site and well, well, well.... the room is not cursed. Others are having this issue aswell o_O

My opinion is that it is a combination of issues causing this problem;

It has something to do with Microsoft Operating System programm :mad:
    I "think" it does have something to do with a trojan (but some of you guys have thrown some of the well know software into your pc and some hacker out there would not have created such a small pest if so) :mad:
    What I would also like to know is what are your hardware configurations? (motherboard, chip, ram, harddrive, videocard, psu, extra fans... ect. Including brands and models eg. my hard drive is Seagate - SATA) cos for example it might be heat related and making the chip malfuction. (i doubt it but just curious that we all might have something in common, like ram from the same factory)

19. Heat

Heat Guest

If none of this works and you have XP SP2, you will have to remove SP2. That was the only thing that worked for me after trying all solutions I can find on the net. SP2 jacks up everything. I have to get a new soundcard also. Hope this helps.

20. SexIsGood4U

SexIsGood4U Registered Member

You are absolutely correct. I would love to run linux, but being public operator, you can not train everyone to use your set-up in 5 seconds.
    For example I did a test by removing "internet explorer" and leaving "mozilla firefox". I had 95% people lost with 90% of them sit there like idiots. What do you do? .... give people the option of both (a little more work on my side but thats life) :p
    I even changed the picture icon and naming of mozilla firefox to the internet explorer and had 80% people lost in goo goo land o_O
    I hate Microsoft and it's low life operating system. After all the years and billions of dollars it makes.... they can not even correct their own operating system, but are still finding ways to make more billions of dollars saying it's more friendly user for who... a moron that can not even boot a pc. MS cause more grief than pleasure to all (beginners to professionals), I assure you of that I am certain. :mad:

21. Kitty

Kitty Guest

I've had this little thing pop up in my taskbar for a month or so now, but never managed to catch it in time to see what it was.
    Finally I was watching the Applications and saw SysFader pop up.
    I have no idea what it is or what's causing it because...well....I've run everything and searched through things and can't find a thing wrong with my computer....

22. Kitty

Kitty Guest

Forgot to mention one thing.
    After searching high and low for this file, it's nowhere to be found.
    It's almost like it only exists when it wants to...and this little thing popping into my taskbar but not my desktop and being a blank button is really starting to annoy me....

23. jerryfr40

jerryfr40 Registered Member

I have been fighting this for over a week now also. It may have started with me about the time I downloaded an update for Java. Did anyone else download this update? There has to be a common cause and if it could be identified maybe someone would be able to find a solution.

24. Kay P

Kay P Registered Member

According to Dell tech support, sysfader problems are caused by conflicts between Service Pack 1 and Service Pack 2. Options to fix are wiping your hard drive and then reinstalling XP (in my case, didn't ask about other OS) with SP 1 and then never downloading SP 2. Or wife your hard drive and buy a new XP with SP 2, thereby putting $ in the coffer of Microsoft, which caused the problem. Dell has been getting many, many calls, with a wide variety of symptoms, as evidenced by this thread.

25. WilBeDed

WilBeDed Guest

I HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!

Start, Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced Tab, Click the settings button under performance, Choose Adjust for best performance. Job Done!

I have been working on it all night, it was that simple. If this worked for you, please tell me throu email.*****@hotmail.com

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.