What the hell happened to SuperAntiSpyware? Is it still worth installing?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

After 100 posts reaffirming that SAS has had its day over and over again, isn't it time to finally close this thread?

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't think so. I hate it when threads are closed.

3. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I think it should stay open for future question asked, like mine, i asked if it had gotten any better got my answer so I'm good.

why start a new thread.

4. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

SUPERAntiSpyware-Portable_5.png

SUPERAntiSpyware_3.png
    Description of SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner Technicians Edition

The SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner Technicians Edition is an invaluable tool in the fight
    against malware. The scanner does not require Internet access and can be run from a USB
    drive or CD. The scanner does not need to be uninstalled and leaves nothing installed on the
    system. (Source: SAS Website)

The Screen shot shows SUPERAntiSpyware Tech Edition, however the SAS_(random number).com
    file shows the screen shot of SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition when extracted and run.
    (Picture source: Softpedia)

Note: Older version of SAS .com file.

5. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

This is the actual portable version of SAS now, which I found out after doing some searching yesterday. I'm not sure if there are limitations on the usage of this, e.g. if it will require the purchase of a licence after a period of use.

6. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

From what several people have said, SAS does appear to be useful on PUP's anyway !

@ Easter

You mean now ? Back in the day it found & cleaned Lots of Real nasties on peoples PC's i looked at.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

:argh:

8. SUPERAntiSpyware1

SUPERAntiSpyware1 Registered Member

Hello everyone. My name is Don Fowler. I'm one of the engineers working on SUPERAntiSpyware. I have read this any many other threads about the effectiveness of SAS. I'm personally sorry that so many of you have not had a great experience with the product. We are working hard to make SUPERAntiSpyware more effective as a scanner and more useful as a malware removal tool. We will be releasing SAS 6 in a month or two and would like to get any input you have on the product. The download is available here: http://forums.superantispyware.com/index.php?/topic/7758-superantispyware-60-pre-release-download/
    Our goal is to correct all the issues that anyone has found with the product. Any input given will be heard and responded to promptly.

Thanks
    Don Fowler

9. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Good to hear. Any plans to improve detections on SAS? It used to be a major player in the industry, rivaling MBAM for a time. Now that many of us feel MBAM has fallen from grace, it seems like a logical time to bring the hero status back to SAS?

10. SUPERAntiSpyware1

We never stopped trying to improve the detection rate of SAS. That being said: We are aware that the detection rate is not at a level that experts in the security community expect and are currently implementing new technologies that will enhance our ability to find and remove malware. Internally to the company, there is a renewed push to make SAS the best malware scanner in it's class. This won't happen over-night but you should expect to see noticeable enhancements in the near future.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up! I have had SAS Pro on my computers for many years, and appreciate that you are trying to bring the protection back to its former greatness. There was a time when SAS saved my bacon quite often.

12. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

Wow! This is news to me. But I always use the online scanner and it seems fine to me.

13. bidd

bidd Guest

That's a misconception on your part, some users might be unhappy with the new MBAM UI or some resource problems but as far as detection rates and removal capabilities it's still regarded as a leader in it's field.

14. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Has Nick left the company?

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hehe good question, I was wondering that myself yesterday :doubt:

16. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

I agree MBAM is kick ass still!

17. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I really hope that happens soon. SAS was the best at one time. MBAM and SAS were the best scanner combo to be used with an AV. Now only MBAM is left as SAS gradually declined.

18. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Nick was a charlatan carnival barker. Is he still with the company?

SAS in all the recent tests that I am aware of finished dead last. The worst.

Will SAS actually perform better on tests -- without all the worn-out excuses that Nick used to make?

I have a lifetime license and think it would be great if SAS came back to life.

But is it for real?

19. SUPERAntiSpyware1

Nick is no longer with the company. He has moved on to pursue other ventures.

To be completely honest, most of the tests out there don't represent the entire class of real-world malware. Due to that, we haven't focused directly on passing third party tests. As I said in a previous post - there is a renewed push to make SAS the best malware scanner in its class. We will be making every effort to dramatically improve the detection rate.

20. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Right, thank you :)

21. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

22. lurkingatu2

lurkingatu2 Registered Member

"Has Nick left the company?"

his new venture

Nick Skrepetos
    Founder Bullseye Camera Systems
    https://www.bullseyecamera.com/about.html

:)

James

~ De-linked URL - JRViejo ~

23. SUPERAntiSpyware1

24. Sir Percy

Sir Percy Registered Member

Hmm, don't get me wrong i use SAS and have for a long time, bought a lifetime license and i have gotten more than i ever anticipated. :thumb:

However saying 6.0 is a complete re-design of the UI seems like a bit stretch if i'm being very nice. It still uses the same icons and installer as well as the same options when you install. Yes, the GUI have been changed a little bit from being cheasy to being something in crude grey/back seemingly made in a hurry by a child traveling in a greyhound bus! Ok ok, so we're both guilty of exaggerating. ;)

I just feel it is strange mix of the old SAS and something not very professional looking, but maybe budget mean developing the actual product will have to take all resources.

I will continue to use SAS though.

25. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

100% agree!!! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.