What the hell happened to SuperAntiSpyware? Is it still worth installing?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by GrammatonCleric, Sep 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

One thing that bugs me about SAS is that the portable version is not portable! When you launch the exe file it actually runs the installer and installs it.

2. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Really! Whoa that's not good. A portable version which is actually an installer. Very bad.:thumbd:

3. donaldkks

donaldkks Registered Member

I was thinking of using SAS, after reading this, oh gosh.. o_O

4. roger_m

Yes, you're not exactly missing much (if anything) by not installing it. But, to be fair it is free and on occasion does find threats, so I wouldn't entirely rule out installing it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  5. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

The screen shot on the URL page shows Name: SAS_8394814.COM
    Why SuperAntiSpyware shows a .COM file on the screenshot when you actually get an .EXE file doesn't seem right.

There is a difference between the .COM file and the .EXE file.
    EXE will install into your Programs Files while the COM does not install anything in your Start Menu or in Program Files. At least it didn't for me. (version 5.7.1014)

I'll probably end up removing it since MBAM and Hitman Pro I favor more.

http://www.superantispyware.com/portablescannerhome.html

6. Swarup

Swarup Registered Member

Last time I review and use SAS approx a year ago after that I moved to MBAM PRO.

SAS unnecessarily consume CPU where MBAM is very lightweight.

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Too bad SAS draws some negative reviews now, but some formerly useful security apps, and especially in the AS department, eventually run out of thr steam that drove their popularity only to resurface again to achieve another day.

Example? Webroot SpySweeper. = USELESS

Now? WSA = TOPS

So while SAS may generally become discounted now and relegated by some as "useless", in comparison to it's competitors, IMO it is by no means reserved for the rubbish bin just yet. :D

8. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Internet Explorer no longer dominates the web like it used to. Because of this SAS has been rendered obsolete. :D

9. roger_m

What has SAS got to do with IE?

10. Kirk Reynolds

Kirk Reynolds Registered Member

Because spyware infections were due in no small part to earlier versions of IE and it dominated the market as well.

11. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

*bump update?*

Cleaning some old programs off my PC just wondering is SAS still worth keeping/using?? or should i un install it, what's the consensus nowadays?

12. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

13. taleblou

taleblou Registered Member

The good part about it is its PUP detector and uninstaller option it gives you before scan. It detects PUPs and asks you if you want to uninstall them.

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As I mentioned earlier, it's a good cookie and data miner detector and remover. You don't have to remove all that it finds if you don't want to. Ccleaner does the same.

15. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

16. Compu KTed

There is a difference between the .COM file and the .EXE file.
    EXE will install into your Programs Files while the COM does not install anything in your Start Menu or in Program Files. At least it didn't for me. (version 5.7.1014)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  17. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

That's something new to me. Thanks for the info..

18. roger_m

When I go to the download page for the portable version, and click on download, I get a .exe download - which as you said if the full installer. Where can I download the actual portable version?

19. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

People seem to be expecting SAS to have 90%+ detections. That's not what the product is designed to do. It's a supplement to your existing protections.

On HerdProtect, SAS does pretty well - and detects stuff other products miss. You can quite easily monitor this yourself. 11,000 out of the last detection stack isn't amazing, but individually it picks up stuff other things miss.

http://www.herdprotect.com/knowledgebase_detections.aspx?engine=superantispyware

Quite often SAS picks up things others miss due to it's reasonably good heuristics, and adware database.
    http://www.herdprotect.com/rphelperapp.exe-5f443e175475b8f360f72ceeec4790b3fe4b300e.aspx

Now if they didn't steal away my lifetime licenses... :thumbd: :thumbd:

20. Compu KTed

SuperAntiSpyware Portable or Tech Edition if not mistaken requires a license (Get Quote)
    It's listed as: SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner Technicians Edition

The scanner does not need to be uninstalled and leaves nothing installed on the system.

SuperAntiSpyware free edition:
    It's listed as: SUPERAntiSpyware Portable Scanner Personal Edition
    The program installs easily and is available to scan your computer at anytime!

The free edition listed on their site is not portable...IMO! (.exe file)

21. roger_m

It's highly misleading of SAS to list a free portable version, when they no longer have a free portable version.
    However this is not totally unexpected considering the "limited time" specials on the purchase of SAS which never expire which Nick has been running for years, and he sees no problem doing so, even though it is highly misleading.

22. clocks

clocks Registered Member

This program has been bad for a while. Can't remember the last time I installed it. Better alternatives are available.

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

SAS has gone downhill. It's clear how ineffective it is. No improvement just made things worse for SAS. No visible effort from the SAS team to make SAS better fueled frustrations among users. Now everyone seemed to have accepted the facts and there is no reason to beat a dead horse.

24. Compu KTed

The SAS_(random number).com extract file does put entries into the Windows registry.
    Also AppData and temp folders.

I ran a system snapshot at install so I don't know even if this qualifies as portable.
    It didn't however install entries to Program Files or Start Menu.

If I remember correctly though the free SAS_(random number).exe file is the full installer
    and adds more entries than the .com file.

CCleaner will list it under Utilities for cleaning.

As far as how effective SUPERAntiSpyware free is...never found anything not even a cookie.
    Then again,none of my other OD scanners find anything either.

25. roger_m

I just found this post about the portable edition:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.