What the heck happened to Avast???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nord1

nord1 Registered Member

Which is why they invented revo uninstaller. <g>

2. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I like Appremover (works great with Norton and McAfee), followed by the vendor specific removal tools.

3. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

One of the nice things in Avast. I leave all the shields on since I don't notice any slow downs etc.....

Ice

4. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Have demo'd in the last 48hrs. New Avira 2012 Internet Security...Webroot/Prevx...Secure Anywhere...and Norton 2012 I.S. and I've come back to Avast. Don't know about the strange vibe being accorded to Avast but I'm staying put...it's a quality app developed by a quality team. Sincerely...Securon

5. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Man, I couldn't agree more. On my fresh build, I have tried MSE, CAV, PCA and WSA over the last 5 days, and I am back to avast!. It is the lightest, most configurable AV that I have tried. Let the others b!tch, I'm with avast!

6. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Same here..tried Wsa , panda , vipre , MSE and m back to Avast ...

7. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

The_ChamP, DBone, and Securon:

I completely agree wity you guys. After recently trying 5 other internet security suites, I left Avast ISS installed on al three of my most important systems. Why? 'Cause it just works......:thumb: :thumb:

8. carat

carat Guest

How can I turn off this adware bootscreen? :doubt:

Attached Files:

9. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

This is not by default. You must have unknowingly checked this under setting.

Go to settings - There is a setting which is mentioned only for Win 7 & need reboot, uncheck it.

Thanxx
    Naren

10. Dwarden

Dwarden Registered Member

i hope You submit such files to Avast! team ...

also if there is any issue with RAR scanning it would be nice to have some proofs ...

more likely these detections were yet in the system (remember there are so much malware produced each that that every single AV will miss some each day)

11. Dwarden

i never had issue with http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

so if someone know case when and how it fails (plus leftovers it leaves)

it would be nice if he shares that information either here or ideally with Avast support / developers

12. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

@Dwarden
    I already have.
    I found that Avast 'appears' to set permissions in the registry that block removal.
    When I removed Avast (awsclear etc) and then ran reg scanner by Nirsoft it found many entries.
    Here is a CLSID of V5 that gets left after update to V6 - {B54F3741-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8}
    It relates to an old issue of AhAScr.dll

I get BSODs, random I'm afraid but if I uninstall Avast they go away.
    Every now and again I re-install Avast and try again.

I am not yelling at Avast - there are always oddities somewhere.
    It's just a pity that I bought a 2 year deal for Avast AV Pro:(

It is still IMO a great AV & I monitor the Avast forum for any updates.

13. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply.

In relation to my earlier post, I scan in this procedure always(in all my systems).

1. Scan rar file(unopened).
    2. Open the .rar file and scan via integration.
    3. Extract the file to a folder in SBIE (drop my rights and no programs allowed to access the internet)

Avast missed the .rar file. I un-rared the file and when I launched the portable app there was no detection still. I scan inside the winrar through the integration,

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast\ashQuick.exe

"%f"

There was no detection. And THAT made me confidet believing it was clean.

-- It was a video editor app that a friend made "portable" from his home system. There was no other options I could make and the templates I was hoping where not included so I did not use it anymore. I was only by chance that I scanned the hdd with Avira(being on a dual-boot). Even he did not know that he was infected because he was also using Avast. And yes I agree that it's strength is Web and network(WebShield/AntiSpam/SafeZone) is superb! Have been observing some alerts from the Behavioral shield now and it's great to see it action.

--File has been sent to Avast. I do that and have been sending files to them. Often FP's. In all that I sent since last year (I think that was a round 7 times I only had one reply). Not even a confirmation in email. I send samples to all my security apps so they will know what I encountered and make countermeasures for it(along the line helping the app I like). On sending samples with apps I used I like Prevx support better. Too bad I removed it prior the .rar file issue I had. Now I have MBAMPro in realtime to augment AvastIS. I usually do not use MBAMPro as realtime anymore.

When I encounter an infection I usually use the clean system image backup I have. That is rarely and come to think of it I got 2 infections from last year to now(with AvastPro and now with AvastIS). The proof's I sent to Avast and as mentioned that little info I got was from an old system image I had deleted(because I scanned that with Avast)/updated. Now if Avast will reply to me then the proofs will be posted here.

As mentioned, I still like Avast. As RJK3 says (as with all) it's light in the system. But Avast detection is different on me. Take note I mentioned "on me" from experience. Last year I was with AvastPro on that same system and was downloading a file from the office. A .zip(WinZip) file which turned out to be infected. I downloaded that same file using another system with KAV2009 and it stopped it cold during the download. Avast should have stopped that too but it did not. But I am still using it and like it. I just augment protection through MBAM and scans from the other dual-boot drive.

I know you guys are fans of Avast. I am too. These are observations based on experience is what I shared. Not meant to bash or something but rather to inform and if it may, help the app/user to wards improvement.

Saw a post in the Outpost Forums about an Avast detection probably an FP though. I have Outpost Pro with Avira on the other dual-boot drive (OP Pro with KAV2011 on a separate system) so I might check it out later. Have not read it fully as I am waiting for a reply from the OP/other members. Link is HERE

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

see this option to turn it off

Attached Files:

15. Dwarden

if you get BSODs did you uploaded mini dump or kernel dumps to AVAST ftp ?

16. carat

carat Guest

Thank you - I will try it :thumb:

17. Technical

Technical Registered Member

Hmmm... You probably not using the latest avast version also ;)

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i posted how to turn it off

19. DavidCo

DavidCo Registered Member

@Dwarden
    Both, but no reponse other than 'Uninstall/CleanUp/Install'

Still my favourite tho':(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.