What software to use for cloning a HDD 100%?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by frank7, Mar 28, 2015.

1. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

Did go for calculating the Clone hash with CDCheck and though the .MD5 files are the exact same file size the hashes don't match.. ;)

Could this be due to me using CCleaner during normal workflow and that having accessed the Recycle Bin of either the Source or Clone?

This is what I assume since running Ccleaner did invoke spinning up the Clone while CDCheck was calculating the hash. Strangely enough at times the Clone seems at rest while CDCheck is doing the calculations. I would prefer if somehow CDCheck could lock the drive it is doing the work on while at it.

Since I have the time and the Total Commander result was fine I am happy to give the hash calculation of the Source and Clone another go, though with another piece of software.

Does anyone know of a tool that locks the HDD while doing the hash calculation?

2. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

While CDCheck is doing the hash calculation I can see in the top right corner where the status is that Source has a Reading Total in kB of 3.888.581.315 but Clone only has 3.888.581.309. So this means that the hash comparison will fail anyways since the amount of data read is not the same, correct?

3. frank7

frank7 Registered Member

OK, the hashes do not match, there is one file difference from Source to Clone in CDCheck, though Total Commander says they are identical, I am fine with this result and will now start securely erasing the Source with one of the mentioned programs.

4. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Try using another hash format with CDCheck to see is the result changes. You may also use a drag & drop software, hashmyfiles from Nirsoft and drag&drop the original and the copy to see if differences are spotted too.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Several off topic posts removed. Avoid personal attacks. See the TOS.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.