What should I use for my use case?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Floyd 57, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

So, here's the thing, my employer wants me to use vpn to connect to his local network so I can do my job (I work from home, benefits of working on a pc heh).

But, he uses open vpn. And as far I saw, there's no way to make it on the client-side, not for windows anyway, to only pass the traffic of some programs instead of the entire computer traffic through the vpn. And I have 2nd monitor that I usually have a stream in discord (1080p 60fps) that I check from time to time while I work. Or a youtube video, whatever. And if I have to connect through the open vpn my employer gave me, well all the traffic would go through there... So that wouldn't be good. So i told em, hey why not make it so that only the programs that we use go through the vpn, other programs will be unaffected, this way u will have to handle less traffic on the server! And the guy said, oh that's a great idea! And he still hasn't done it... Even tho it prob takes like 10 mins. So now I have to do this on my side. So I got an idea. What if I use windows sandbox and use open vpn in it? Well I tried windows sandbox but for some reason, when I open testufo.com the refresh rate of the sandbox is only 32 hertz... Yes I enabled vGpu with config file. My monitor is 144hz so that's a big deal. 32hz is laggy. And even tho I gave it 8gb memory and I got a good cpu and gpu, it did not feel responsive at all. It's also using my hdd for some reason.

So now, what options are left? Virtual Box, VMware? I need something that will work with open vpn and I can do my job in the VM, while on 2nd monitor I will have video/stream running. So thus I need something that I can give a lot of my pc resources to and it will be smooth and responsive, just like my pc. Not a laggy vm with lower refresh rate... Or maybe another sandbox like sandboxie? But I don't know if sandboxie can be configured to work with a vpn inside it. Idk how that would work.

We also tried teamviewer and anydesk, me connecting to the pc there which is in the local network, but those programs are laggy. Not ideal when u are constantly doing stuff on the pc, it slows down work by at least half, if not more.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

3. Floyd 57

Floyd 57 Registered Member

How can I check if it's working? How can I check if discord or twitch is going through my vpn or my normal connection? Asides from the vpn being slow and the streams buffering, is there a way to check? I mean I know there is, but how?
    I will try it tomorrow cuz Monday. If not I will try VM. Why virtual box over VMware tho?

Also, here's the .ovpn file I use that I import with open vpn gui and then I connect:

Code:
    client
    dev tun
    proto udp
    remote XXX.XX.XX.XXX 1194
    resolv-retry infinite
    nobind
    persist-key
    persist-tun
    remote-cert-tls server
    auth SHA512
    cipher AES-256-CBC
    ignore-unknown-option block-outside-dns
    block-outside-dns
    verb 3
    <ca>

In order to use the switches on the link u sent me, I have to open openvpn gui executable with the switches? It says "add the following option to the client" idk what that means, I use this https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/ 64-bit windows installer

4. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

How to check if it's working - you can google for 'what is my ip address' and check if sites providing information are returning your external IP address or your company's.
    Why Virtualbox for me? Bacouse I use it as my VM software. You can use VMware also if you want.
    For switches you can copy OpenVPN client shortcut and add that switch at the end of target path. As said IDK if it will work since I never tested it. EDIT: in my first post I was thinking it's part of config file, but as you said it's a parameter for executable to run with.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.