What should I do before connecting Windows 10 to Internet?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by reasonablePrivacy, Oct 28, 2017.

1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

OK, back to OP's question, then :) If you're behind a decent router/firewall, trust your ISP, and trust Microsoft, you need do nothing. Windows 10 is a secure OS, arguably one of the best. I mean, consider WannaCry. People using Windows 10 with the latest security updates weren't affected. Most victims were using Windows 7 or XP.

If you're not behind a decent router/firewall, get one. If you don't trust your ISP, also use VPN services. If you don't trust Microsoft, don't use Windows. Or if you need to, make sure that it doesn't know who you are, or where you're located.

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

At times I'm envious of your succinctness mirimir.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Hey, it helps if you've said something 1000s of times ;)

4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

@bo elam - indeed we have different world-views, and I wonder if they reflect some historical backgrounds. It is very difficult, in Europe, to trust government surveillance because it has led to some catastrophic outcomes. What's more, I don't see how government actions can possibly be constitutional or legal, and they have lied about it. There are also those in the IC who specifically think the mass surveillance is counter-productive and ineffective.

I'd also gently point out that not everyone agrees that the US has the right to surveil everyone. All that's saying is might is right.

5. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

It depends where I am. In home I have decent firewall, but I often go to other city with my laptop, where I don't.
    I don't distrust them to the level, where I would believe they are directly targeting me. On the other hand I don't know future. I don't know where their databases are going to be. Who is going to own them in, let's say, 15 years from now. Frankly I don't know in what country I am going to live in 15 years from now. I just think it is good practice to minimize unnecessarily exposed information.

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Imo the only privacy online that is possible, unless extreme measures are taken, is privacy from individuals & minor corps.

Everything else one mistake or efforts by those who can afford it. Then poof ones' online privacy is gone forever.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I would agree that mass surveillance that aims to control peoples lives, where they live, where they work, their children s education, leads to a broken society with horrendous results. Life becomes gray, no color. Boring and dangerous. This states control every move you make, they have someone in every block of every town and city in the country that plays the role of being the ears of the state. You have to watch who you talk to and what you say, who comes to your home, etc. And on top of that, every few blocks they organized local groups usually made up of gangsters, named with revolutionary sounding names like Committee for the defense of the revolution, and they control everyone who lives near by. If you wanted to work, you need a letter signed by them. You wanted to move to another city, they wanted to know why and you needed their permission. I can go on and on but one paragraph is more than enough.. That was real mass surveillance, mean surveillance.

But surveillance that aims to detect plots to ham the innocent, that is seamless, that you cant even tell is there and doesn't interfere with your everyday life or movements, I am all for it, we lose some privacy but I am willing to pay that price for security we get in return.

Bo

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

We seem to be going off track in this thread.

The topic for discussion is ...

What should I do before connecting Windows 10 to Internet?

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Post removed.

Please keep to the topic in hand and take political conversations to pm's.

Thanks

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Another off topic post removed.

Next time the thread will be closed and the original poster will have to do without help and advice on his question

11. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

This task is challenging, what is your current progress? I would love to have a look. I use those bellow, but my tweaks break a lot, virtually everything. :D

Code:
    https://pastebin.com/u/TairikuOkami/1/0/1/?o=n1

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

As long as the W10 pc is installing wu achieving greater privacy is impossible.