What should I be looking for in an Internet security suite?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by candes, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. candes

candes Registered Member

From my many years here, I know better than to ask for specific vendor recommendations. So I won't. LOL... I am considering switching vendors. But I have been out of the technology loop for some time. What should I be looking for technology wise, these days? Anything new and exciting out there?

Oh an one more thing. Have vendors ever been known to give refunds? Would it be silly to ask?

Please no vendor names. ;)

2. timestand

timestand Former Poster

Have you ever got infection?

3. candes

candes Registered Member

Nope. :)

4. icr

icr Registered Member

Layered security approach I prefer:)

5. candes

candes Registered Member

That is what I did many years ago. I thought the trend these days was 1 product. Or has that proven to be a failure, since each vendor has different strengths?

6. icr

icr Registered Member

Then you have answered your question, you haven't been infected and you use layered security approach. I suggest you to stay with it if you still want different flavors than you can try any free alternatives out there that can easily beat any internet security suite;)

7. ALookingInView

ALookingInView Registered Member

The trend is still suites (outside of this forum anyway).
    Most people don't want to have to think about their security all the time, answer HIPS alerts every time they install something new or one of their installed apps decides to blink, keep each of their 5+ layered applications updated and up-to-date, bother to customize Windows to secure itself, etc.
    The biggest reason though IMO would be because most PC users aren't very security savvy, nor do they aspire to be.
    They just want a single, easy to use application that they can rely on.
    So suites are definitely geared towards noobs (again, the overwhelming majority), but also I know quite a few pros who use them as well.

As far as the newer technologies, you've already experienced most of them with your current/former suite.
    These include Behavior Blockers, HIPS, Sandboxes, etc.

Some vendors do in fact issue refunds if a timely request is made, but many don't as they maintain their 30 day trial should've been enough of a test drive.

8. candes

candes Registered Member

Ok, now I understand the "layered protection" lingo. Thanx :)

Yes it is nice not to think about protection these days. Don't really have the time to bother with a handful of different products. Didn't know that folks still use multiple products. Interesting... This brings back memories. :)

Is there anything new, scan engine wise though. Are certain types of engines still good at detection, and less of a drain on the CPU's? At least for my usage. You see, I use 8 browser windows at a time. Very fast, and non stop. My CPU very often revs up to 100%, as I bounce around from window to window. This processor activity is mostly from the AV.

9. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

I agree. :thumb:

10. ALookingInView

The newest thing scan engine-wise that I can think of is to not scan files again after they've been scanned and considered clean.
    That is unless the file changes for whatever reason (or you choose not to enable this particular option).

You'll definitely find some engines more taxing than others, though IMO none as much as what you're used to.

You're welcome to PM me if you'd like to know some specific vendors that incorporate the 'smart scanning' technology into their products or would simply like some opinions on the different suites out there as I've probably tried all of the worthwhile ones.

11. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

While the debate between security suites versus a collection of security applications will undoubtedly continue, I found the following description of Symantec's 2011 heuristic detection capability (i.e., SONAR3) to be of interest:

Note the tight integration of “a number of engines ... like the Firewall, AV Engine, Intrusion Prevention Engine” within the security suite to enhance malware detection. With separate security products from different vendors, no such integration is possible -- and, as the complexity of malware continues to rise, the benefit of integration may become increasingly important.

12. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

something like the features of Online Armor ++ would be nice.

13. candes

candes Registered Member

Thanx folks for the help. Never realized how difficult shopping around can be when you can't mention names. I like one product one second, and another the next.

My needs are more internet based vs apps. And I run a bare bones XP installation, and shut everything off. Don't even like the sound on, so I don't allow its apps to load. The only thing in my msconfig start-up is my AV. My hijack-this log file is like 5 inches long. Most of it from my present AV. And I likely hold the record for the least disk usage. I would probably notice a new file before my AV did. LOL.... In fact 15 years ago, that is how I found out that an AV product was failing me.

I do know that some time ago, my present AV was failing me in the internet area. That darn thing was automatically putting malicious temp internet files in my trusted section! No wonder I am in the habbit of cleaning that out manually like 3 times a day. When you find yourself changing your life around to suit your AV, it is time to move on.

ALookingInView, thanx, I will take you up on your offer.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  14. ALookingInView

Isn't that the truth!

Anytime. :thumb:

15. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Mrs. Click is on Facebook every night. And she clicks on everything.
    I don't want to be a slave to my security.
    I've been using NIS 2010 and Sandboxie and have had no problems.
    Good luck.

16. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hehe she's not alone..... Click click i'm a Trojan do you want me Click click click i'm a rootkit do you want me click click click.....:D

17. candes

candes Registered Member

LOL...

It is likely worse for me. I am a sweepstaker. And I know just about every site on the net. But before you knock it, you should see my booty. Just had a 42 inch plasma TV delivered from FOX, a netbook is showing up soon from MS. My tablet PC that I use was also won. I have a $2,000 purse arriving soon. I have won over 10 trips, one worth $20,000. There have been days when me and my family have gone out wearing all won clothes and shoes. etc... And my biggest dilema is winning too much. Life is great! :)

18. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha interesting. So, you are betting on things or what?

19. candes

candes Registered Member

Nooo, no betting. Companies give out free prizes as advertising. The prize lures you to their website. In the days of comercial free TV, this helps the companies, and me. ;) They give out cars, appliances, etc... You name it. I have likely won something from every major company around. :D

I can smell a fake sweep site from a mile away. So I can usually avoid the "dark element" of the web. It is when I research AV problems, that I hit upon the baddies. Ironic huh?

20. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

- Cloud technology
    - Whitelisting instead of blacklisting
    - Sanboxing
    - Intelligent heuristics
    - Self protection
    - Multiple AV engines without performance hits
    - and more

these are some of the technologies that you should care about although I think everybody admits that there is no product that has all of them combined with default AV features, a decent firewall and a strong application and system control. Some suites that come close to be feature complete are Norton, Kaspersky and Avast but are far from perfection and really strong efficiency.

I don't like the suites but for many, the suites fit perfectly. I suggest to get the best of each sector by selecting single applications. The results are not again guaranteed but at least you have tried the best.

21. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Wow, then you're really good searching for those awesome prizes man!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.