What should ESET improve?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by izi, Jun 23, 2004.

?

What should ESET improve?

1. Virus detection (viruses, trojans, malware, worms...)

59.7%
  2. Better and faster support

16.4%
  3. Improving program compatibility

6.0%
  4. Improving program components

9.0%
  5. Heuristics

9.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

A slider! And start out with almost nothing protected? Now that will really get me to recommend NOD32 to my friends. I would recommend KAV 5.0 instead as it is just like you want for NOD32 and it scans a heck of a lot more files and a lot more deeply too. But it is crap because you can't configure it beyond the stupid slider and it has no working quarantine, etc.

If Eset wants me to recommend NOD32, they have got to have a GUI similar to NAV, PC-Cillin, McAfee. I don't see why people keep saying those are that fat. NAV is fat but the others aren't and anyhow, new boxes can handle the fat. I don't like fat applications unless the fat is useful. An easy to use GUI is a necessity if NOD32 is going to be used by the masses, but that doesn't mean a slider! It means giving NOD32 an Americanized look. It doesn't mean denying or oversimplifying configurability. And it doesn't mean covering something like IM which is just a gimmick. Nor does it mean tacking a message onto outgoing email which is another unnecessary gimmick. It means making quarantine work properly and not leaving an infected file for the average user to be terrified to manually get rid of or to not understand they have to do this because they know what the dictionary says the word quarantine means and they don't know Eset never looked at the definition of the word and defines it in their own strange manner. It is stuff like this that needs fixing....NOD32 screams that it is an av from a small country and while it works fine, it looks and feels too backward and it is how the program looks and feels that influences the choice for the average person.

Perhaps NOD32 should offer more than one version. They can go the route of KAV. KAV 5.0 is fine for the average user and KAV got the GUI right too (except for view reports and quarantine. I would prefer no slider but if this is a version for the masses then I'd agree to it). My objection is because I am not an average user. I want lots more configurability and I care about quarantine working properly. So, we could have NOD32 and also NOD32 professional. As long as Eset didn't tack a much larger price on the Pro version I think this would be great. The problem with KAV is that their Pro version is A LOT more expensive. The Pro version of NOD32 could be what we now have and there could be a simplified version for the masses.

2. Pigman

Pigman Registered Member

New boxes may be able to handle bloated AVs, but older ones can't. A lot of people don't bother to pay massive prices for better computers. I'm one of those people - I'm fine with a Pentium 2 box. Sure, it needs a little more RAM, but that's less expensive than a new bloody computer, isn't it? So long as my computer runs the necessary programs and allows me to do what I need to, it's fine. One of the programs it needs to run is an AV. I would therefore much prefer not to have AVs with massive bloat problems.

NOD is currently one of the best AVs around. I'm all for making some aspects of the UI less oddball, but stuffing it with graphics really not an option, IMO.

If you want a cool-looking interface, get Avast. I'll stick with the bland interface and the better AV, thank you.

3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

I think one thing the gang @ Eset needs to do is install the product set @ max protection (I know this has been said many times before). This could be accomplished with a slider that applies to all modules or one for each.

I think one reason why is that folks get infected is due to the default installed config. People probably assume they are covered, gets into the whole UI issue.

If you read the NOD32 forum, there are folks complaining about being infected. I think there's 3-4 out there right now. Ever notice in the "Other AV" forum, don't see that too often.

I think NOD32 is shooting itself in the foot. Solution is simple and the value add is huge.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

May I suggest fixing the virus scan log copy bug? It locks up my XP machine when I try to copy a scan log.
    XP automatically ran scandisk today after a lockup.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
  5. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

That's fixed in the beta. In fact this particular problem is why support sent me a link to get a beta back in the end of May. I was having lockups and then crashing of NOD32 on my XP Pro box anytime I tried to copy the scan log. It was fixed in that beta. I don't have a beta on the W98SE box but I understand it is fixed for that OS also. It copies with no problems now. :)

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I can't say I really like the idea of a slider, unless you had an "easy" setup and an "advanced" setup option. I think adding standard menu options (file/edit/options/help/whatever) along with consolidating the configuration screens and making clearer labels would go a long way towards making things more intuitive, further consolidation for the "easy" setup (of course.) I think simplification can be done through better organization without "americanizing", so to speak. If I buy a BMW, it's because I want something that DOESN'T feel like a Ford. There's something to be said for "German engineering", and not everything has to follow american trends to appeal, it just has to be intuitive.

As far as the graphical interface, I agree that it should stay the same, although it would be nice to choose between different color schemes.

You can also count my vote for everything mentioned in AgentX' post!

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

LOL so you bought NOD32 simply because it WASN'T Americanized? Wow! I got it because it was the fastest and lightest of them all on my W98SE box and had such a great VB record. I had trialled it three times before I got it and each time, I decided not to get it because of the horrible GUI that to you is a BMW and to me is the poorest excuse for a foreign car I could ever find. Version One really was awful GUI wise. But because it was the lightest on my old box and it got along with everything I had running, I gritted my teeth and lived with the lousy GUI. Version two was a big improvement but still way off any logical, intuitive look. Version two is totally ANTI-intuitive and completely illogical!

Just because it is not an American product is no reason for it not to appeal to Americans. Kaspersky understands this quite well and Eset should also. When I owned Honda autos it wasn't because I wanted a foreign look to my car or a tiny car...it was because Honda got the best gas mileage and was well built. Still, after two of them, I greedily gobbled up a nice Ford for my current auto and I am so glad to again have the American look and feel!

Maybe we could have various GUI's...a European one, an Oriental one and an American one. :D

8. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Let's all agree there most probably are as much opinions on a GUI as there are NOD32 users ;), OK?

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I absolutely agree on that one. For a vendor like Eset, though, think for a moment where at least some of our GUI preferences come from?

Ever change from a well worn application to something new with a distinctly different GUI? A jarring experience, isn't it? Do the same thing without that previous history. Even if it is hard to navigate initially, there isn't that lost-in-space feeling of the previous case. At least that's that way it is for me.

We also organize information in different ways. A perfectly linear manner for me might look to be a complicated mess for you. It's how I work vs. how you work.

The folks at Eset (or any other software vendor) are trying to hit somewhere in the middle. The GUI has to make sense based on their vision of the product - which combines basic objective definitions of functionality with how THEY organize and manipulate data - and what the marketplace values.

I've generally found that I can grow accustomed to a GUI, even if I can never understand why certain parts of it are as they are. There have been a couple of cases though, where I liked the functionality of the product but could never efficiently navigate the GUI. Frustration would turn into missteps, which begat problems, and soon I turned to one of the competitors products.

That's not the case with Eset for me right now - but I like a rather austere and clean interface that snaps with speed and doesn't present me with a Escher-esque view of the world at every turn.

@ Mele20 - I have had exactly that type of "totally ANTI-intuitive and completely illogical!" feeling many times also. Not with NOD32 mind you, but with other products - generally non-AV applications. I understand your sentiments very well, it can make using the product difficult. With an AV, though, once you get through the initial set-up, it basically comes down to the reporting functions and how response actions are handled (I know - this brings issues like quarantine is handled to the front - but that's for another thread altogether...)

Blue

Last edited: Jul 3, 2004
  10. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Not at all.

Same reason I bought it, you can see the events that prompted me to buy it in the "Why do you use NOD32?" thread.

Yes, the UI is pretty far from intuitive, this kept me from even trying it at all when it was in version 1.x. My only point was that I don't think that following American trends is the only way to solve this problem. If you can make it intuitive enough, it's not going to matter if looks like an American app or not, really. If you want to get down to it, however, I did buy it in part because it's not Norton, McAfee, or the likes. They haven't proven sufficiently effective, in my experience, and I think it would be a shame to try to make it look like them, that's all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.