What Security Software?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by z7x8c9, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. z7x8c9

z7x8c9 Registered Member

Hi,

I'm going to format my computer and I would like some advice on what security software should I install.

Currently I use Comodo Firewall, NOD32 and BOClean. At home I'm behind a router with SPI firewall but sometimes I need to travel and connect directly or to untrusted networks.

I would like some advice on how to best protect my computer from virus, trojans, rootkits, etc... while keeping the resource usage low (for those programs that are loaded all the times... for on demand security apps, I really don't care about how much resources it uses).
    It doesn't matter if the software is paid/freeware/open-source.

For the firewall, considering that sometimes I'm not behind the protection of my router at home, I think I need a firewall with good outbound/inbound protection.
    I've been mostly satisfied with Comodo but I can't help asking... Is there anything with lower resource usage? PCTools firewall seems nice, but how good is it?

Regading the AV, I really like NOD32... But how does it compare to Avira (AV only, not the security suite)? And which version of Avira (Personal, Premium or Workstation)? And how's Avira's resource usage compared to NOD32?

Now for the hard part...
    What to use against trojans/malware?
    I already use BOClean for realtime protection, from what I've read in the forum, it seems to be one of the best while keeping a low resource usage, am I right?
    And having BOClean for realtime protection, is it safe to disable NOD32's function for scanning spyware/adware/malware?
    Having BOClean for realtime protection, should I really need another one (for realtime protection I mean)? If so, won't it conflict, isn't it a bit overkill?
    I think all I need now is a good On Demand trojan/malware scanner... but which one is the best?

What other software would you recommend?

Would appreciate your advice...

Thanks

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I think your choices are all excellent programs. Perhaps L'n'S is lighter than Comodo (I haven't tried Comodo, but L'n'S is well known for it's low resources).

If I were you I would add a sandbox/virtualization program just to make sure that anything missed by the real time defenses (if that ever happens...) is trapped as a last resort.

A long list of possibilities: Defense Wall, DeepFreeze, FirstDefense ISR, PowerShadow, Sandboxie, ShadowUser. These are the ones that come to my mind, there are many others.

3. danieleb

danieleb Registered Member

My current setup: L'n'S, NOD32, Defense Wall. I've used BoClean, but with NOD and DW I don't find it necessary. This, I think, is a comprehensive and light setup (I too recommend Defense Wall).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.