what program do you use to program to protect themselves from the new ransom ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mantra, Mar 16, 2016.

1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I don't doubt the addons created by Gorihill are good addons, otherwise many here would not switch to them. Myself, in the more than 7 seven years that I used NoScript and Adblock plus, I never taken them down for nothing. There has never been any reason to even ponder about taking then down. They work great for me, no slowdowns, no conflicts, nothing about nothing to complain about them. What else can I say, Brummelchen. :)

I like them.

Bo

2. Sampei Nihira

Sampei Nihira Registered Member

Double-check the scripts ( + iframe + frame +remote fonts) + Control Flash + blocker AD multiple lists + Anti Exploit

3. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi Bo
    i know it
    sandboxie is great , but i don't how configure it to keep surfing , and i have my profile update and blocking the new ransom
    have you a configuration ?
    i could i use it

4. bo elam

I give you a couple of ideas you can try. With both, its unlikely you ll lose downloads and you should be well protected against any ransomware that gets to run in the sandbox. Note. If you using a Start Run restricted sandbox, it is very unlike any ransomware would run in the sandbox. In a non restricted sandbox, ransoware should be able to run.

First, the way I recover files. I dont like prompts or messages of any kind. So, I untick Immediate recovery in Sandbox settings>Recovery>Enable Inmediate recovery.

Then, I set Firefox to recover to an specific folder, like BoDownloads. And you add this folder in Sandbox settings>Recovery>Quick Recovery. Thats all I do.

After files finish downloading I open Quick recovery and manually recover files. But if I forget about recovering files and I click to delete the sandbox or close the sandboxed program, before the sandbox gets deleted, Sandboxie reminds me that there are files that can be recovered. This works great because it makes it very hard to download something and lose the file. You get a Sandboxie prompt like the one in the picture reminding you about files that are in the sandbox and you can recover.

Sin título.jpg

In your case, you could tick Immediate recovery, that way you get a Sandboxie prompt immediately after the downloading is over, within the prompt, you can click to recover the download.

Or, for convenience, you could allow firefox.exe to have access to your Downloads folder bypassing sandboxing. With this setting, when the downloading of a file is over, the file gets created in the downloads folder just like if you were not using SBIE. No prompts or nothing required. And you are still protected against ransomware as the only file that can write tio your downloads folder is firefox.exe (and only if firefox.exe resides outside the sandbox).

Sandbox settings>Resource access>File access>Direct access, Click Add program, select firefox.exe, Click OK. Click Add, navigate to your Downloads folder, OK your way out.

Bo

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi Bo
    thanks
    good ideas, i have created 2 sandboxies for firefox & chrome

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yeah, I've never lost a downloaded file

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Also, I am comfortable that my setup plus backups protects me well from Ransomware

8. bo elam

Sandboxing is isolation, running your browsers in separate sandboxes is the way to go.:cool:

Bo

9. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Comodo auto-sand boxing,Defence+ HIPS(clean PC mode) and Sandboxie ...of course.

Regards Eck:)

10. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i use forced folder on cache and downloads (also flash if enabled). only possible with license. other was explained.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.