What other scripts can I block with scriptdefender?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Horus37, May 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Anybody using this tell me what other scripts you have added to the default list?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. Horus37

Seems like it's a bit buggy if you have legitimate scripts you want to run. Would script sentry be a better option?

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

ScriptDefender only warns you and gives you the choice : Execute or Abort. If you consider this as buggy, then you are right.
    Quite a dangerous decision (Execute or Abort), if you are a less-knowledgeable user.

Anti-Executable warns you, but you don't have a choice, it's always NO (= Abort). This is much safer.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  5. Horus37

I thought you were forced to use both script defender and anti executable because of the lack of scripting control in anti executable?

The problem pointed out with script defender with the above post pointed out that if you include htm and html in the scripts to block you'll have problems plus some of the settings might not take, plus the uninstall not releasing the script control fully, hence my remark about being buggy. Plus does that solve the problem of the "time between reboot" possibility of getting infected?

Could script defender really be this buggy? You'd think this would be abandonware if it were so.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

There's another one, ScriptTrap, that explains this in the help file:
    That's his judgement of course, but he did write the program.

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

On the other hand, his program blocked my .doc files without warning, and no choice to remove the .doc from interception. It's gone (didn't stay that long as you can tell).

8. ErikAlbert

This guy probably never worked as an employee. What kind of reasoning is that for blocking documents and spreadsheets ? Doesn't make any sense in practice. :rolleyes:

9. Horus37

No comment about using both script defender and anti executable? I thought you were running both? After looking at scriptrap it looks like a good program but I don't like how it doesn't allow to add more scrips. If only people would combine the functionality of script sentry, script defender and scriptrap.....

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Erik was only talking about how AE works, not that it blocks scripts.
    Regarding scriptrap, forget it, it blocks doc files! (even though you can specify to only temp folders, still it's a no go).
    I was only passing his view on script types.

Oh, and if we're combining now :D , put some Wormguard special powder in it.

11. Horus37

Looks like from reading the systems they work on it looks like xp is left out. So that solves that. I need a good script blocking program that works on xp. None of these listed say they work for xp. Am I wrong?

12. ErikAlbert

I use Anti-Executable and Script Defender, because they told me that AE doesn't block scripts, just executables, but I don't like the way Script Defender works.
    How do I know it's a good or bad script for clicking "Execute" or "Abort" ? The script doesn't tell me : "Hey abort me, I'm a bad script."
    There is only one safe choice for me : "Abort" and see what happens.
    It would be better for me that ScriptDefender created a whitelist of the actual safe scripts on my harddisk and refuses any other script. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.