What on earth has happened to viable HIPS software availability?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Smiggy, Mar 10, 2017.

1. guest

guest Guest

Indeed, Average Joe want Skynet, something simple that does all by itself, without bothering them or hampering them to use their system in peace.
    it is why Ai thingy will be their godly tools ! (if they manage to work well enough)

2. Lockdown

Lockdown Registered Member

The reasons people do what they do is complex, but most of it comes down to ignorance - simply not knowing.

A false positive, something blocked, a bug, unexpected behavior, etc - these all cause people to abandon security softs.

Security softs have some of the highest consumer complaints of all products - which points back to dissatisfaction based almost entirely upon ignorance.

3. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have Emsisoft Online Armor still protecting one of my XP snapshots. I realize that there is no back end support. But, HIPS still works and so does the firewall.

Attached Files:

4. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Peter2150

Hi, i don't think it needs the back end support to run. I've set All the options i want on it, & it's running fine. I realise it can't connect to OA HQ anymore, but what it offers as is, is OK with me.

@ boredog

Re https://online-armor-free.en.softonic.com/download Version: 4.5.1.431

Thanx for the link, but unfortunately it requires two things i don't have or want !

Sign in to start the Download - Sign in with Facebook or Sign in with Google +

And the - Alternative Online Armor Free download from external server - Is V.2.1.0.85

Plus "if" later versions than mine need to connect to OA to licence it, they are no go.

@ ichito

Re - 3.5.052 Free

See my PM to you

5. ichito

ichito Registered Member

@CloneRanger
    Thanks...I've send you PM.
    As I wrote I have in my archive OA Free in version 4.5, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 7.0 also but none of them can be installed because of error while connecting to dev's server.
    I even don't realised how after installing OA after long time I'll be glad to see again "good friend" :)...like a kid :D

6. guest

guest Guest

if you talk about Emsisoft version, it needs to connect to updates some rules. You have a update button somewhere. Forgot which module needs it though...

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

The servers though have been taken down and there is no way to update OA.

If it had self-contained rules, you could run it forever...

8. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Thanks CR :thumb:

9. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Exactly, but this was already clear to me back in 2004 when I started using them. You had a lot of different HIPS back then, but I don't think they had a lot of users. But HIPS/behavior blockers are very alive in the corporate market, for the simple reason that AV's will never be good enough, they will never be able to spot all malware.

10. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

AVs are good at intercepting a threat they recognize in their database.

They perform poorly against zero-day threats they can't check against. So you need to supplement your AV with a behavior blocker and SRP for more complete protection.

11. JoWazzoo

JoWazzoo Registered Member

I have been looking for a HIPS to run on an old system, so I found this thread of interest. Guess I lose.

FYI folks, the OA download here:

https://online-armor-free.en.softonic.com/download Version: 4.5.1.431

needs to phone home to insert License. So - forget that one unless you can hack around that part of it.

My quest continues. Maybe Appguard. Maybe not.

12. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Which OS are you using?

13. guest

guest Guest

outdated, discontinued and you won't even get updates for some definitions it had.

not an HIPS, SRP just blocks what you want it to blocks, no prompts of any sort.

the only 2 viable real HIPS those days are Comodo and Spyshelter

14. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Sounds like if you kept it installed on XP your OK. I tried re-installing version 7.0 several years
    later and it wouldn't install on XP.

15. JoWazzoo

XP sp 3. I have other boxes. I have Private Firewall on it for lotsa years. At one time I had OA but for the life of me don't know what happened to it.

I doubt that some of the mod things would even run on this box anyway. heh

16. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Well if you use XP, you can try Malware Defender, it still works on it. You can download installer from here (English version): http://labs.360.cn/malwaredefender/
    I checked hash of downloaded installer and it's still the same as it was at the beginning of 2012.

17. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Its a shame that most security software is largely all things to all men (or ladies) suites now...I really preferred having a AV only and HIPs and firewall of my choice.

18. NiteRanger

NiteRanger Registered Member

Well, you can get independent AV and FW easily. You can consider

(HIDS + AV) = HIPS

Winpatrol Plus is an example of a HIDS because it does not have an AV. Some says it's a light HIPS

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
  19. JoWazzoo

Holy Cow Minimalist! Must learn Mandarin to use? hehe

Agree Clubhouse1. Totally agree on the Suite Hawgs! Egads. Fill my drive with garbage.

Hmmm. On that Box I have a version of Winpatrol. Guess I need to check out the Plus version. I use Malware Bytes and Avast on that box (both pre-bloat versions). Maybe the Winpatrol Plus and Private Firewall (which I have and use) would fill the bill.

WRT Comodo it likely is too bloated for this de minimus box. I may give it a try to see

TY for all the input.

20. PEllis

PEllis Guest

21. NiteRanger

NiteRanger Registered Member

It's 2015 version

:(

22. PEllis

PEllis Guest

It still receives updates.

23. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  24. PEllis

PEllis Guest

25. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

That's how it rolls on XP, still. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.