What keeps users from using rollback/eazfix?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Chris12923, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

when you have saved 250 different sets of emails this way how will you find them ? flawless ? :'(

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I really think this threat is one you advocate more for, then in reality and user will ever get bit by.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

from all the praises and a few discontents it likes like a good replacement for FDISR,but from disaster perpective,if your disk get toasted you loss everything so in the first place a reliable imaging program is essential and like Eric love to say everything else is luxery.
    It would by perfect if you can store snapshots offline,like FDISR.

4. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

So far I am finding the same thing. HDS is looking into this. First response from them said that it should be possible but your findings and mine indicate a different result than what they are saying. i'll get back to you when they get back to me again.

thanks,

Chris

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I agree. I wonder if you can store snapshots offline. But your thoughts are correct. I like it though and it is very quick at taking shots or rolling back, Even with my 10 antivirus applications loaded.;)

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Answer.

Yes and No.

No, EAZ-FIX snapshots are maps and indexes of what's on the hard disk. Backup the maps and indexes won't do any good.

Yes, EAZ-FIX has a drive imaging feature which can be used to backup drives to image files to store on external media such as CD/DVD, USB drives or network drives.

7. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Thanks Chris for your testing :)

Rollback is great to beta test most software but not so great for us in helping the support of those beta software :rolleyes:

I am waiting for your answer...

Best regards,
    Atomas31

8. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

just give us a decent image backup built in for doing a full image backup of all snapshots with some image options. thats the no.1 wanted feature. don't deny us. :)

if it fails from no fault of there own and people can't restore it back to how it was then they will just dump it especially if they lose there data. what's the big secret?

9. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Agree-

Would say making the RBx/EF imager work as efficiently as the true standalone ones,even with less options,should be first priority.
    What is happening now is that the true imagers wont work with RBx, as discussed before.

Then the only real choice is to uninstall RBx and image properly before reinstalling,or uninstall RBx permanently-neither ideal.
    It is absolutely essential to have the ability to store an image on another drive,which effectively cant be done at the moment, within a reasonable time or with certain reliability,say on a daily basis.
    From memory,would have needed about 6 DVDs to use for backup

Just tried an experiment-using the SP recovery disk,attempted a backup of C with RBx installed.
    A backup was made,verified and seemed normal,but wasnt of the current partition.
    It was in fact of the baseline snapshot of RBx!!!
    Dont think this is a permanent solution as, CHKDSK had to run immediately afterwards

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  10. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

IMO, and in addition no offense meant to RollbackRx supporters, EAZ-FIX is heads and tails better then Rx and i have been around the Rx block long enough and experienced enough problems with it to easily see how the comparisons fair when pitted together.

EAZ-FIX by eazsolutions is proven the more reliable and exciting program of the two for me, maybe others enjoy just the opposite, but i would never turn away from EAZ-FIX now that i see how very well it's performed and lived up to expectations for me.

It's a fun ISR app and incredibly quick and stable. Now it's hooked up again i intend to make more use of it and learn everything i can on it's features thats possible.

EASTER

11. Hairy Coo

Easter,
    Give up, good buddy,you seem the only one not to acknowledge the reality that they are the same,which has been pointed out to you by several people at least ten times over a period of several months.

Your regular abuse of RBx is irritating and ridiculous.

The only difference would be if a different version would apply and GUI changes.

Reading your post in the other thread,your imaging backup was as expected,would have to be the same as RBx and not practical on a regular,reliability assured,basis,for the reasons I mentioned

Have you ever tried to restore from DVDs,I have -didnt work.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No i haven't and by practice i don't expect much from them either, plastic, but then theres always the alternative of backing up from an alternative drive, maybe it will and maybe it won't, but no matter, i can image the entire EAZ-FIX system, snapshots and all and be willing to bet stand a fair chance at least of something more positive.

btw, i still refuse to accept them both as the same, i tried them both, even more so Rollback, and i wouldn't trade EAZ-FIX for the likes of it in a million years. It's done all the fudging it's ever going to do on my units ever again.

13. Hairy Coo

Are you saying that DVDs are made of plastic,therefore they wont be successful in a backup situation:rolleyes:
    Of course it never could be the fault of EF,could it-that would be the end of the world.
    You may prefer EF,but dont you think you have mentioned this rant sufficiently, or are you going for an Oscar?

14. Hairy Coo

Further to my post re backing up with SP whilst RBx is installed,
    just received advice from Storage Craft

'As RollBack Rx contains MBR code it's pretty important that if you back it up using ShadowProtect (ShadowProtect will always backup the MBR and hidden tracks), that at restore time you should specify that you want to restore the MBR and hidden track sectors from the backup"

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

No SP user here, too long time supporter of Paragon and i still hold true to them since they came thru for me for eons before SP was even in diapers. :D

I will have a try at it though with some other apps and see how they fair, SP although a nice new player on the scene is just not convinced me as it has the majority, plus i'm old fashioned and sentimental whenit comes to these apps and tend to stay with proven performers from the past who are still very much a part of this same market today.

Thanks for trying though.

16. Hairy Coo

Easter

Thanks for once again for sharing with us the ever so useful info. about Paragon,really very relevant and off topic as always,but my post was directed at the SP and RBx users :thumb:

Your opening up about your sentimental nature etc almost had me in tears-very touching.

17. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Reason enough for me not to use rollback/eazfiz then. Reliable imaging is a first
    priority for me - and there are plenty of inexpensive and reliable imaging programs available.

Re the point about DVD - haven't used DVD for images for a few years now ( external drives being so cheap) but when I did they worked without problem.
    Every so often I check old data images (2001,2002) and they are still good. Then again I did use BenQ's and Taiyo Yuden

18. Hairy Coo

Longview,
    You are correct there,thats why its imperative to find a solution,as otherwise RBx/Ef are very useful ISrs.
    Taiyo Yuden are supposed to be excellent with a long life.

19. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Of course your own remarks are not Logical nor do they do anything but foment ill regard at your next then next reply to anything i offer as either comparison of choice, so theres really nothing productive or informative for memebers or users to draw on but useless babble so in the interest of users appetite for real sunstance i'll reserve in the future any further replies to enticements that serve neither useful info for users or members but rather take on appearances which can easily be interpretated as a form of criticisms which is not what this forum expects or can i choose to be party of in face of such cheap shots of frustration, and it if any of my comparisons or posts seem to lead in that direction then i respectfully withdraw additional comments that are for some reason mistakenly misinterpreted.

20. Hairy Coo

Deleted-pointless!!

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Hairy Coo

At this early AM of the morning in my current world time zone i can only offer for you that you speuclate the outcome of it.

Maybe after some rest i can afford you more complete answers better to your satisfaction, thanks.

EASTER

22. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

@Hairy Coo,

Reminder to capture all Rollback snapshots and have Rollback install intact, use SP recovery CD and make sure you check the option to save free space. That should do it along with restore MBR and Track 0. let us know if you do that.

Gary

23. flimbag

flimbag Registered Member

Damn. After all your rants about how Rollback was as just good as FDISR, I've just installed a copy to check it out again this morning.

I'd assumed they'd fixed this by now, as this was always one of the major deal breakers in the past.

Is there a link to the discussion of imaging problems in 8.1?

24. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Gary

That is a non option as far as I am concerned. Makes imaging time and size outlandish. Just not a solution.

Pete

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Easter

You are spreading FUD in this situation. FUD about Rollback as many of the early issues have been resolved, and to a degree, FUD about yourself, by refusing to acknowledge what many of us have confirmed as fact: Rollback and Eazfix are the same.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.