What just happened please?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by stratoc, Jun 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Hello, build my pc's, bit rusty, wondered if anyone could explain the following. I was removing eset smart 5 rc and going back to 4.2, after I removed the program and rebooted I went into safe mode. the system locked up after loading ati driver. I tried to load windows normally but as soon as the windows logo appeared pc locked solid.
    So tried my windows 7 dvd, system locked solid on windows logo?
    all fans running all power lights showing green.
    Normally I would start disconnecting things, but I just reset cmos and system was fine again>?
    could not find any problems in logs except it was shut down the wrong way (after it locked)
    I have restore it back to a month ago anyway. Have also ram 3d vantage back to back 3 times.
    all temps are fine. what the hell happened? The bit I dont understand is the windows dvd caused a lock up?
    any ideas would be great this has totally confused me.
    Thanks for reading.
    system about 3 years old had 7 on since launch.
    windows 7 home premium 64 bit
    Amd 940be @4.1gz
    msi diamond
    2 x2 gb reaper 8500 ddr2
    2 x samsung f1
    2x 295 gtx
    thermaltake 1000 watt psu.

2. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Maybe a CMOS setting that got changed when you reset the CMOS was the issue.

3. stratoc

stratoc Guest

but why would it change? been set up nearly three years, that's what I dont understand, I could understand the class pnp driver getting corrupted (god knows how) but to freeze from my windows 7 back up dvd, I really cannot work it out, could it be a driver going crazy?
    I have ran check disk that found no problems either. got me baffled.

4. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

I don't know. I have been into computers a long time and seen them do crazy stuff sometimes. Maybe just one of those random things.

5. stratoc

stratoc Guest

yeah, lol. I will try and forget about it. Built one once it would lag while gaming once an hour! severly. I tried to work it out for 3 months, turned out to be a dicky sata cable, the one thing I had not thought of replacing, hate computers sometimes!
    Looking through the logs I see after the sucessfull boot it installed usb human input device, which traces to my razor imperator usb mouse, so wonder where that driver vanished to? Like i said I have restored system now so just have the logs, looks like it may have tried using mouse as boot device. usb is disabled on cmos reset and I use my book via usb as second boot in case disk fails.
    must go to sleep!
    thanks for the replies.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
  6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Perhaps the battery is failing, and a previously set setting was changed. I would get a new battery. Take the old one to the battery counter with you - most recycle.

And remember to unplug from the wall and touch bare metal of the case before reaching in. And finally, do not touch the new battery with your bare fingers. Skin oils attract dust and promote corrosion.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I'm not a techie, but reading your post the only thing I noticed was "Hello, build my pc's, bit rusty, wondered if anyone could explain the following. I was removing eset smart 5 rc and going back to 4.2". If you are referring to Eset NOD32 V4.2 AV, that was discontinued a while back. Could you have triggered something by installing it?

8. stratoc

stratoc Guest

never thought about the battery, I got a spare will try that. v4.2 is the latest stable build btw.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Sorry, I mis spoke. I got it turned around in my head. I was thinking of V2. It's tough getting old. :D

10. stratoc

stratoc Guest

Nothing harsher it's so true!
    after a day looking through logs it seems it was driver corruption on shut down, I think there was also a windows update pending. My nvidia cards on an all amd set up look borked, so when the windows logo kicked in I think it was using the onboard crossfire boost chip as sli and locking up.
    makes sense, it didn't shut off it just wouldn't boot after shut down, resetting the bios defaulted to my top graphics card, then the windows re image put everything back. using google there are many posts about this all with windows 7 so maybe windows and bios are too chatty!
    thanks for the replies guys.
    *just noticed I posted wrong system specs on first post!*
    the pc with the problem is similar but msi platinum not diamond, newer cpu, with 295 and 9800 physx.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.