What is Your View of Windows 8?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Brandonn2010, Jul 5, 2013.

?

What is Your View of Windows 8?

1. I love it!

6 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. I like it

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. It's okay

11 vote(s)
    13.4%
  4. I don't like it

29 vote(s)
    35.4%
  5. I hate it!

20 vote(s)
    24.4%
  1. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I like it, I've never "loved" an O.S. and never will, unless I make one myself :)

Anyway, I guess we needed yet another Windows 8 thread for the same people to repeat what they've already said.

2. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

First of all, I don't care for the way it looks (and that includes the desktop portion). While that's entirely subjective, it has dampened my enthusiasm somewhat.

While the OS itself isn't bad taken on its own merits, I don't like the direction it represents - I see it as the first step towards the "tabletization" of PCs. I don't think the fullscreen-only paradigm works well at all for some apps, at least on a desktop, and I don't like the lack of an always-visible taskbar.

That aside, as an OS it seems to be very good, even improved from Windows 7 under the hood. I have no desire to upgrade my current systems from Windows 7, but I would probably get it if I were building a system now. However, I'll probably end up skipping it since I figure Windows 9 will be out by my next build (and if it's close enough I'll probably wait for it).

Actually, I think I'll get a tablet before my next desktop, so I may end up with it yet if I don't choose Android instead.

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

imo one word... sucks.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

1. Stability and general business.
    *Very good and easy to use, even comes with generic drivers for certain things and thus saving me time.

2. Ease-of-use.
    *Well, i still hate the Metro GUI but i use the desktop interface 99.99% of the time, so not a problem for me.

3. Compare to XP and/or 7.
    *Havent used XP since a long time ago but i do remember it was a PITA to configure some things so its a lot better than XP IMO.
    Even though i hate the GUI i feel Windows 8 is waaaaaay better than 7. Specially how smooth it is.

4. Hardware support.
    *Decent, my printer manufacturer (Epson) still havent released a proper driver for my printer and i cant configure some printer settings . . . i CANT EVEN CHECK the ink levels.

5. Program support/compatibility.
    *No problems so far.

6. Anything else relevant.
    *In my case, positive aspects outweighs the negative ones.

5. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

I ran into problems after launch, but all seems to be sorted out now.

Honestly, I think it has some room to grow, but in the end...I think it's a good OS.

1. It's pretty stable at this point.

2. It's really easy to use

3. In comparison to previous versions of Windows, it still needs some maturing (My opinion)

4. Hardware support is excellent, no problems on my end.

5. Program support and compatibility seems to be a non issue.

6. It a good OS, but it still needs improvements.

6. guest

guest Guest

Other --> I don't really care. But the Windows update cleanup problem must die.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You mean "automatic maintenance"? I hated it wasting resources/time non-stop in my virtual machine, until disabling in Task Scheduler. Overall, I don't like it enough to warrant an upgrade from Windows 7.

8. guest

guest Guest

If you updated Windows and then ticked the "Windows Update Cleanup" box in the built-in disk cleanup tool, it will stuck in the update cleanup process. And if you canceled it and then reboot you will endlessly stuck on the "Configuring Windows Updates" message so you will have to force shutdown the computer. I haven't used the cleanup tool until now.

9. moontan

moontan Registered Member

some users here at Wilders have reported this taking up to an hour or 2.

it seems much better behaved in the 8.1 preview, taking 5 minutes or less, though there has not been huge updates so far.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Yeah I was going to say that might be due to the small updates and/or small amount of them. Hopefully it's sorted though.

11. moontan

there's been 5 updates for 8.1 since June 29.

but you are right, they have been fairly small size in size.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Very interesting thread for me. I've just ordered a new desktop from Velocity Micro, and they offer a choice between Win 7 or Win 8. They recommended Win 7 and that's what I went with.

Pete

13. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I've heard Windows 8 is good but when I've tried it I can't get my head around Metro. Windows 7 is a great OS and I feel very comfortable with it so I'm looking to stick with it for as long as possible.

14. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

In desktop mode, it's about the same as Windows 7. If you have a touchscreen, it's a bit more useful but the Metro IE 10 browser is very slow compared to the desktop IE10. What I like is the safe boot, assuming it works.

15. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Mixed. Some parts I like....some I hate.

As for Win8 Metro, I guess I agree with this one

http://www.insanitybit.com/2012/11/22/windows-8-metro-isnt-so-bad/

I find it odd that they recommended Win7 as you'd get a longer support life-cycle and better built-in security out of Win8. I guess their recommendation must have been influenced by Metro hate (customers or their own staff??)

16. moontan

been using 8.11 for about a month now.

what i like about Win 8/8.1:

* boots and shut down faster than previous Windows OSes
    * support for USB 3.0 'out of the box'
    * new Task manager is nice
    * Windows Updates Cleanup which should help with the bloat of the WinSxS folder on previous OSes (after 5 Windows Updates on 8.1 the folder size is still at 5.07 GB, so looking good so far)

what i don't like:
    * Metro on a desktop machine (though this one can be avoided with some work)

there are no doubts a whole bunch of improvements 'under the hood', which is always good.

personally, i'd recommend Windows 8 on a new machine.
    why install an old OS on a new machine? o_O

17. guest

guest Guest

I heard Windows 8.1 has a video editor which is the rebranded version of Movie Maker. Any thoughts about that? :)

Because there is no law that is explicitly forbids it. =V

Seriously though, I don't understand about Microsoft's formula about releasing their OSes. One version is highly praised, the next one is hated, then the next one is highly praised again. And the reactions from the crowds are pretty much copy-pastah. Lolwutsthis? :argh:

18. moontan

hahaha! :D

i think it's because people are cheap b******s by nature and don't want to pay for a new OS every 2-3 years. ;)
    ----
    i have no idea about the video editor.
    i could not find it using the Metro thingie anyway. ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  19. guest

guest Guest

Heheheh, vary from person to person I guess. :D I can understand if people don't like the MetroUI, I don't like it myself. But the performance is so zippy and my games don't like Aero anyway so this is a worthy upgrade. Besides, it's already pretty hard to find Windows 7 Full Retail here.

Hmmm, Wikipedia says this. Could it be that they keep it only for the full release?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2013
  20. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

That's not very nice. Discounting the early adopter promo prices, Windows upgrades aren't really that "cheap". You must take into account regional differences and their economy. Furthermore, even if people can afford it, some of them might have priorities which deserves their hard-earned cash more than an OS upgrade. Most people I know of in real world stick to whatever pre-installed version of Windows OEM comes with their purchase of desktop/laptop. Businesses also can't afford to go with upgrading an OS just because a new one is released.

21. moontan

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/25/4144618/windows-blue-video-preview-screenshots

those seems to be Metro apps from what i gather...

22. moontan

right you are.

the regular upgrade price is between 100$ and 150$, which is not exactly cheap.
    i jumped in when the 40$ deal was offered but i don't think i would have paid full price.

anyway, Microsoft mentioned that Win 8.1 is a free upgrade for Win 8 users.

i would not be surprised to see a subscription based model to show up within 2 years...

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

So the general opinion is . . . Metro GUI is lame but the OS itself is pretty good. :)

24. guest

guest Guest

Pretty much. Except for the aforementioned update cleanup problem and the fact that they removed the GUI for the system imaging tool in Windows 8.1 preview. I decided to be optimistic and have a high expectation that these all will be resolved in Windows 8.1 final release.

25. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

I would say that's 90% true. The other 10% of Metro GUI that I like is the following:
    - new start button which is the actual hot spot on the left hand corner
    - new start page

Still, I don't like how there is no flow between the start page and the reminder of the desktop. Maybe the 8.1 version will fix that by enabling same background.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.