What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Security:
    Kerio 2.1.5
    SSM
    WinSonar
    ClamWin + ClamSentinel
    Opera 12 + Flash 11 and most other XP/Vista/Win7 stuff!
    ScriptSentry
    Herbalist's system backup/restore autoexec.bat

Dave

400 MHZ & 600 MHZ PROCESSORS WITH 384 MB & 512 MB RAM! FEELIN' THE NEED 4 SPEED!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  2. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Good Setup! :thumb:

3. KelvinW4

KelvinW4 Registered Member

I'm just going to rely on my little dog for protection :D

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Pulled Privatefirewall off of my 1GB of ram XP machine and am now just using Windows FW.
    Much faster and who really needs outbound protection anyway? :)

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

very happy with Nod with hips in interactive mode,i even dumped Mbam Pro:D

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i want to get into the virtual system world:D
    is Wondershare Time Freeze 2.0 the right way to start with?

7. 22ndcitysaint

22ndcitysaint Registered Member

ESET NOD32 5
    SpyShelter Free
    Win7FW
    Hitman Pro

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

norton dns

Fast Five:

Panda cloud pro + Sandboxie paid + Spyshelter premium + Malwarebytes antimalware pro + Keyscrambler personal

The Rest:

win XP firewall(incoming connections blocked) + Hitman pro + Firefox-adblock plus(malware domains, fanboy's list, fanboy's tracking/stats blocking, fanboy's interntational tracking/stats blocking), WOT, bitdefender quickscan, betterprivacy{sandboxed} + Internet explorer -smartscreen , quick heal dna scan{sandboxed}[backup browser] + Secunia psi + Macrium reflect free

Portable:

Emsisoft emergency kit + Superantispyware + Tdssiller + F-secure + easyclean + Bytehero + Norton power eraser + Remotedll

Online Scanner:

F-secure + Eset

Rescue Cd:

Avira + E-scan

9. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

It works good,no problems here.If you go to spyontech website at the top software giveaway, look for wondershare fill out the form get a license for it.:D It is still there just checked it out.

10. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Works fine...specially on not so fast and strong machines. I've tested RSS on my lap and it was to heavy...WTF it's suitable :)

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

just grabed it thanks:thumb:

12. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Your welcome.:thumb:

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I don't really feel anything wrong with mine maxed, though your experience may differ but you don't loose anything trying it right? :D

14. Eiso

Eiso Registered Member

Replaced ESET NOD32 Antivirus with BitDefender Antivirus Plus 2012 (Is on special on certain websites and when it comes to active protection it is a clear winner)

Removed Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro. Peerblock and Bitdefender does what it does and does it much, much better. As I had recently purchased MBAM, I feel it's a waste of money.

I'm surprised not to see much use of Peerblock around here. I get the feeling people assume it's only for p2p use? It is far beyond that. It blocks so many malicious IPs with the added iblocklists. I'm currently blocking over 3 billion IPs, particularly user IP ranges from dozens of countries, with proxies and even tor, so attackers stay at bay no matter what measure they take, with a whitelist on secure websites I regularly visit. I love it.

15. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I think Zorin is pretty good too, probably made for Windows users, maybe to make an easy transition over to Linux, and also as you said to use Windows files. There's a charge for the more complete versions, but not much. I'll keep this in the VMware Player and try it more, but I doubt it will replace my favorite, Linux Mint.

16. Eiso

Eiso Registered Member

@justenough, hello mate. I just wanted to ask you re; Chrome extensions. Do you find it secure to use Chrome Extensions at it's current state? I've been wary since the report of vulnerability that was found in coding for some of the security extensions.

17. justenough

Yeah who needs it. So long as we can keep from loading something bad that wants to call out. The problem is that it's a blind spot without an outbound firewall, so I wonder now and then.

18. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Panda Cloud Pro 1.5
    Sygate Personal Firewall 5.5 b2710
    OpenDNS VIP
    Sandboxie Free
    K-Meleon Browser 1.6 beta (Ad Block Plus)

Running all flawlessly!

EDIT: Forgot to add Sanboxie

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  19. justenough

Oh great, something else to worry about. I don't know, Eiso, I'll have to look into it. Maybe someone else can answer that for you. But since I have Chrome sandboxed, it probably won't be a big deal.

20. atomomega

People who like to have a control of what can and what cannot call home.

21. Eiso

Eiso Registered Member

Oh, no! Have a glance here www.zdnet.com/blog/security/27-of-100-tested-chrome-extensions-contain-51-vulnerabilities/9537

I currently use it incognito, with all plugins and extensions disabled, through sandboxie, for certain applications such as banking and shopping.

22. Eiso

Eiso Registered Member

May I ask why Sygate? I've heard in the past that is one of the most easily exploitable and penetrable firewalls.

23. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I tried it years ago but it was PITA. Too many IP's of legit sites were blacklisted. IMO internet is just too big to make good blacklist.
    I'm not afraid of attacks, because hackers have no reason to attack me (it's not like I have some secret CIA documents on my comp :) ) For script kiddies router with FW and OS firewall is enough. All my browsers are also in sandbox so no worries there also.

24. atomomega

Not aware of that. Have read it was good and I'm liking it a lot. I know it's the same FW integrated in Norton Internet Security. I'm also behind a NAT router. This is more for application control than anything else.

25. justenough

Eiso, one of the authors of that report, Adrienne Porter Felt, posted this reply more than a month ago:

"As far as we are aware, no one is suffering at this point; we are not aware of any active attacks that take advantage of the bugs that we found. However, if we release the names of the vulnerable extensions, then attacks will likely crop up.

We’ve been working with extension developers to get their extensions patched. The majority have been patched at this point, and several are in the process of fixing their extensions. Importantly, nearly all the popular extensions have been fixed. So you should not panic." http://www.adrienneporterfelt.com/blog/?p=226#comments

She also said that the one I would be concerned about, LastPass, didn't have the vulnerability.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.