What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

• TP-Link TL-WR941ND (SPI Firewall)
      • Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64 Bits:
        • Windows Firewall: Enabled
        • Windows Defender: Disabled
        • Administrator Account
        • Data Execution Prevention
        • User Account Control:
          • Default Level
        • Structured Exception Handling Overwrite Protection
        • Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit 2.0.3:
          • All Internet Facing Softwares
          • All MS Office 2007 Suite
          • Maximum Settings
        • USB and DVD Drives Autorun: Disabled
        • Norton DNS (Block Malicious Websites)
        • Windows Internet Explorer 8 (Waiting for the FF 4):
          • Drive-by Protection via 1806 Trick
          • Protect Mode

• Backup & Restore:
      • Microsoft SyncToy 2.1:
        • Daily Synchronization
        • Data Saved in External HD
      • Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro 2.2:
        • Original System Snapshot (W7 + Drivers)
        • Snapshots Weekly
        • Automatic Deletion of Old Snapshots
        • Snapshots Saved in Internal HD

• On-Demand:
      • Hitman Pro 3.5.8.119
        • Automatic Daily Scans

• No more using Macrium Reflect, by what I'm seeing the Keriver 1-Click Restore Proalready covers all types of problems. The only danger is if you give physical problem in HD, but everything will be saved in external HD (Thanks to SyncToy).

• Definitely my best security configuration, does not weigh anything in my system, is fast and strong, if the Hitman Pro detects something just restore the snapshot (With Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro) and poof, everything new again.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Is there an echo in here :D

3. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Loool! Sorry, my mistake:oops:

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Don't be sorry it made me laugh ;)
    But I agree, it is a great tool.

PS, if you go into the advanced editor you can manually delete the two (mistakes) post, if you want of course.

5. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

6. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Looks soooo light.
    System hardening, DNS service, On-demand scanner and System Restore.
    If something gets detected, you just restore a clean image. Its the most efective and trouble free way to get rid of any infection,IMO.

I´m curious, how does Drive-by Protection via 1806 Trick works and how efective is it? It will prevent any un-autorized download or system modification pushed by the browser? Any reading about this subject someone can advice?

7. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

I should have added, i do have have the sandbox set to delete automatically and have backups with Macrium Reflect Free on a separate HDD.

8. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Doing something different. I don't know why it never occurred to me til now.

For online surfing, VMware workstation with XP Home and Firefox. No active protection. File sharing turned off.

If VM gets infected, I have a couple of snapshots to fall back on.

9. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Indeed a very nice and interesting setup. But I have got a few questions and one comment.
    • What made you decide not to use an Standard user account? Did the inconveniences outweigh the security benefits?
    • Did you consider putting User Account Control on maximium on the Administrator account?
    • Why did you disable Windows Defender? Because the fact that you don't want any realtime scanner running, or because you don't like Windows Defender for a particular reason?
    • Why did you choose for Keriver, and not for any of the alternatives (for example Windows Backup and Restore or Acronis True Image)?
    • Why did you choose for Norton DNS and not for ClearCloud DNS?
    • You should seriously consider upgrading to Internet Explorer 9 in my eyes, I am also using it on Windows 7, and it is extremely stable and a lot faster. Also is has easy to use ActiveX Filtering.

10. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Very comfortable with my Comodo (FW, D+, SB) and Avast! 6 setup. Strange though, I'm getting the lowest memory usage ever, 881mb/6gb o_O

11. PoetWarrior

PoetWarrior Registered Member

Windows 7 64 bit:

1. Standard Account with UAC on full
    2. Windows firewall
    3. Windows Defender
    4. Sandboxie
    5. Linux Live CD for business
    6. Firefox 3.6.15 with Adblock plus and Image/Flash blocker
    7. Behind router
    8. Imaging with Acronis TI Home 11 recovery disk

12. Francis93

Francis93 Registered Member

Avast is very light. :)

13. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Hello, also I think this is the best way you can restore if a problem occurs with viruses or operating system failure. And of course, be the lightest setup I've ever used.

Now the trick I never tested against infections via drive-by, but anyway I really like it because it is more a line of Defense and of course, doesn't weigh anything in the system. Something that I find interesting is that if I do some download, after finishing I need to "unlock" the executable to run it, then I believe that he is also a kind of anti-executable.

I think it would be interesting: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1603237&postcount=

• I do not see the need, because I use another great series of strengthening the system, actually I don't like the idea of having 2 users, prefer the way it is. But already used LUA for a long time, I don't see any problem in using, in any way, at the time prefer administrator account.

• Also I do not see the need, I'm one of those who prefer to keep Windows from the way it came, without many modifications.

• Think its detection rates are relatively weak, and frankly I'm not willing to have a program running in real-time at the time.

• Tried using the Windows itself, but not for use on my laptop, simply the recovery CD that is not backward-compatible as with my CD player, and it is not possible to restore. Acronis True Image is very complete (Has much that not precise) and is expensive, and I want something simple that I can simply restore my system and be able to schedule snapshots. It found the Keriver 1-Click Restore Pro, which is cheap, simple and 100% functional.

• For me both does, but how do I use Norton DNS already makes a good time, I prefer to stay with him, but when I use ClearCloud, I would recommend the DNS ClearCloud DNS because he apparently has a better blocklistbut that's just my opinion. Maybe tomorrow even go by the ClearCloud here, who knows I no longer use Norton.

• I'm waiting for the Final version of both browsers (FF, IE) to install them, despite being a fan and have already used for a time the IE9, I for now I am with IE8. Want FF because of his incredible Adblock, I really am a fan, I hate those annoying advertisements. In addition the FF has NoScript, which maybe I come to use. Also don't like the idea of FeedBack Tool that is installed with IE9. It's just my opinion.

Sorry by my English, it is not my first language
    Thank you all for your interest.

14. moontan

moontan Registered Member

uninstalled Sandboxie.

i decided i'll go totally "naked" for a few weeks/months and see how it goes.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Panda Cloud and totally impressed with how it has evolved.

16. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

i heard that the scan time takes very long and also its not resource friendly... whats ur experience?:)

17. Kernelwars

trying online armor:)

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I hear you need to do an initial on demand scan to develope a cache. Then it scans in the background when computer is idle.

19. Kernelwars

ah thanks.. Hammer. howz red umbrella treating you? :)

20. The Hammer

Avira's good so far. By the way I'm not definite regarding Panda Cloud as I don't personally use it ,yet. I'm sure someone who does will be by.

21. Kernelwars

I have a problem with avira..how do you report false - + from within the UIo_O?

22. pbust

pbust AV Expert

Not really necessary anymore. We've done a lot of internal improvements to performance, both in the on-access shield as well as boot time (reduced from 6 secs to under 1 sec loading time).

Regarding scan speed of the Full Scan, we are doing some improvements to that as well. Sometimes the problems are in large compressed files and certain types of formats. But Optimized Scan runs very fast.

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Took almost 5 hours for scan of system drive. Optimized scan is much faster.

24. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

It will go fine, there is actually no need for anything to run resident but firewall.
    From time to time just run MBAM or Hitman , it will find nothing, but scan takes only few minutes, so that operation doesn't hurt.

btw I'm using Comodo firewall, set on custom mode with Alerts on Very High, with everything else disabled (Image execution, D+, Sandbox), literally everything disabled but firewall. No cloud scan, heuristics and whatnot...

There's no need to run anything else, really :)

25. The Hammer

From within the UI? I don't think you can. I'm not on my desktop which has it installed. Also I use the default (medium) heuristic settings.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.