What is your security setup these days?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Kid how is the new defensewall?i dont have it in my pc as this very moment:)

2. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Couldn't be happier with VIPRE Premium, just added ThreatFire for behaviour blocking and MBAM Real-Time for extra protection.

Resident:
    I know there's a lot of people that don't trust VIPRE just cause it's the "new kid on the block" in the desktop security playground for home users. But IMO it's a great asset when looking for light-weight yet superb protection. The GUI is very simple and clear, you can turn IDS and HIPS on for full performance. Haven't had any infection since I got it. And the price is the best part. I got a 2-year site license (up to 10 pc's) deal for $69.99.

ThreatFire it's free and provides great behaviour detection for unknown malware.

About MBAM I like it's website blocking and it's malware detection rate. No fp's at all in my personal experience.

No Autorun gives me a peace of mind when inserting any USB drive into my system. You can even quarantine the infected "autorun" files. It's freeware.

On-Demand:
    Hitman Pro can't get any better I'd say. I haven't found any complain on the web (yet).

SAS just for the hell of it.

Preventive:
    Can't say NO! to a free prevention measure... SpywareBlaster

Backup:
    ShadowProtect Desktop
    500 GB Seagate's Free Agent Desktop HD

3. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

Defensewall is excellent as always. Latest version has fix for .lnk exploit. Anti-TOCTTOU protection as well. Ilya is quick to respond to any newly discovered threats. Some people have reported a system slowdown using the newest version, but I really haven't noticed anything significant. DW is my number 1 security program, wouldn't feel safe without it. :D

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Active
    Look'n'Stop ~ Anti-Executable ~ Sandboxie

Light Virtualization....................Back-Up
    Shadow Defender....................Macrium Reflect

On-Demand
    Gmer ~ DrWeb CureIt ~ Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

OpenDNS
    ..Opera

5. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks Kid:thumb:

6. justenough

justenough Registered Member

For today's real-time, settled on Avast File and Network shields with Prevx SafeOnline.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

for my files protection is PE Guard 2.1 and for system changes and registry protection i have WinPatrol Plus 2010;) :thumb: i want to add 1 more but havent decided yet:)

8. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

You wouldn't believe. noone_particular turned me on to KernelEX for 9x systems which together with MS Orca allows a 9x user to rum anything from 200x/XP/Vista/7 apps and to do so with a very effectively infinitesimal memory footprint! SO I'M RUNNING EVERYTHING I CAN FIND. What's more, with 9x running all this crap, tHERE"S NO CONFLICT! It works, but it does so politely with respect to newer apps. Even the Fortego All-Seeing Eye is a PLEASURE to have!

Gotta go d/l another unnnnecessary AV/AM app. (All registration is free too! :D This could bring back Win 3.x-9x/ME operating systems since all software is free!:D Looks like Gates and MS really left an open hole HERE! :D)

Dave

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

10. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Back to the drawing board. CISP was nice and all, but caused too many problems for me. Scanner is still pretty buggy :(

Panda Cloud | COMODO Firewall w/D+ | COMODO Time Machine | Sandboxie

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  11. j8a

j8a Registered Member

Eset NOD32 business edition with RAS, ERA server and internet access with routers AMP, whith NAT and firewall incorporated. Restricted access for laptops, pendrives and any portable devices.
    I think the worst notice is that wild guys are inside walls, because of the lack of security education of the users.

12. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Replaced Avast with MSE 2.0 Beta
    Avast is light, nice and all that, but something is very weird with this app.

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I really want to use Comodo Time Machine but i can't live without my defraggers :D
    I download too many things and big files so it needs to be clean and tidy always :rolleyes:

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nothing weird, maybe it is perfection you cant deal with.:ninja:

15. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

All of the sudden c:\pagefile.sys flagged as a virus ??
    It was perfection (I choose it over many others and used it) until latest build, at least for me that is.
    I've noticed some things are not working as before.
    But never mind, what can I say, if you are happy with it .. use it :thumb:

16. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Well, to be honest, i'm kinda of a perfectionist in some aspects. :rolleyes:
    You guessed right :D

17. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I think I am going to try Comodo firewall again with its D+ and sandbox. I'll also have Avast 5 free and Prevx paid. This will be ran as admin I suppose for now. The applocker is just too big a pain for me as I try out a lot of programs.

One thing- is there some way to run all my apps in admin account over in the standard user account? I have apps downloaded as admin but they don't show up in the standard account- this goes for favorites in browsers as well. I wish there was some way to move all the admin programs over to standard user in one swoop as opposed to having to add each individually as that's a pain.

I have Hitman Pro and MBAM for on demand scans and usually run Googlr Chrome browser. My OS is Windows 7 Ultimate, 32 bit.

How would the Comodo firewall, Avast free and Prevx look on standard account security wise? As good as the applocker strategy?

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Enforced DEP for everything, so far, it's been painless.

19. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

NO AV Setup.

Windows XP PRO SP3 (LUA/SRP/ACL/DEP - NAT/GPO)
    Prevx SafeOnline free

20. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Added Norton DNS again, I did some testing with Norton DNS, ClearCloud, Google DNS, Comodo DNS, ScrubIT, OpenDNS. And surprisingly Norton blocked more links from MDL than any of the others.

Google and Comodo were the worst blocking an average of 2/10 threats. ScrubIT preformed the same as Norton but was extremely slow and threw 404's on sites such as Google, Facebook...etc. ClearCloud and OpenDNS were not great, but not bad too.

I don't expect anyone to comment on and/or believe these tests to be 100% accurate, sometimes the best way is to just try it for yourself :)

21. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Would be a great combo. Don't let COMODO's D+ alerts scare you off, set applications you Trust to "Trusted Application" and it will not alert you again (unless it starts an executable). COMODO is tough to tame, but invaluable once you get it settled in.

Cheers mate!

22. CiX

CiX Registered Member

New setup
    AVG Antivirus Free v9
    360 Safeguard
    Google Chrome (Adblock+WOT)

23. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Enabled Hitman Pro LNK protection.

24. adam993

adam993 Registered Member

New:
    Eset Smart Security
    Hitman Pro
    Malwarebytes Anti-malware
    Acronis True Image Home 2010

25. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Decided to try KAV, but both KAV2010 and KAV2011 had conflicts with Jetico PFW. Decided to try something new on the firewall front and as I've been a lurker in the LnS forum for awhile, I decided to give that a try too. So far KAV2011 and LnS 2.07 seem like a good combination alongside with the mighty MD. :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.